Leap 15 Install

ebrke

This subject might be better in Hardware, I don't know.

I have a Thinkpad T420. I can't run OpenSUSE Leap 15 install without turning acpi off--media boots, but when I select Installation I can't get the it to run. I have to turn acpi off in the installer before running or no go. Question is what am I going to use for power management if I complete an install with no acpi?

Just curious if you have one of those Optimus Nvidia/Intel video hybrids. Those have proved a bit problematic with some distros. I was careful to avoid this and get an Intel only Thinkpad.

Have you tried a Debian based distro like Mint, Ubuntu to see how it works?

Also, you might be able to turn off the Optimus graphics in the BIOS and just use the integrated Intel graphics and see if that helps.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Using acpi = off disables your ACPI temporarily while booting but it gets turned back on by the distro.

• Like 1

Using acpi = off disables your ACPI temporarily while booting but it gets turned back on by the distro.

That's what I was wondering. Guess I'll try an install and see what shape I'm in afterward.

Just curious if you have one of those Optimus Nvidia/Intel video hybrids. Those have proved a bit problematic with some distros.

Good question. I do get a message when I start the install about a Nauveau DR1/3D driver that may have issues. I elected to go with software emulation and not install the driver. When my install is complete, I'll try to check the UEFI/BIOS video settings.

Okay, I'm in the Graphics setup in UEFI. Graphics Device lets me choose Integrated, Discrete or NVIDIA. I'm feeling it should be Integrated? Also I'm assuming I want to disable the OS detection for Optimus?

With ACPI off on install, SUSE adds the option to the boot options, so I'm booting without ACPI each time.

EDIT: No, it looks like I want Discrete if I don't want OPTIMUS.

Edited by ebrke

securitybreach

Normally discrete means the standalone gpu (nvidia) and integrated is the intel one. You will get better battery life using the integrated graphics as the nvidia card needs more power.

That said, you can get the hybrid graphics working on linux if you want it.

This will cover it https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

• Like 1

I just want to boot with ACPI if possible, don't really want to fuss with Optimus. Try settings of Integrated and turning off OS detection for Optimus?

Okay, looks like the UEFI/BIOS Display changes may have done the trick. I did start an install without ACPI=OFF. I'm going to reinstall and see if I have power management options available--would rather no mess with the bootloader options from within SUSE, I've had bad experiences with doing that. The net install runs in about 25 minutes, so not a big deal. Unfortunately, the install did kill the win10 that came installed with this machine, not that I wanted it.

• Like 2

I'll install tip package tomorrow, Ray.

Thanks very much, everyone. ACPI appears to be fully functional, machine suspended while I was having dinner and resumed successfully, and later shut down properly--with ACPI off, linux session halted but I had to manually press the power button to turn power off.

Everything seems good now--thanks again!

• Like 3

I missed most of this thread as I was doing my own install of Leap 15.0 on my desktop today. I was also going to recommend TLP but Ray beat me to it. :thumbsup: Good luck!

• Like 1

Great! I think you will really like the T420 as a Linux machine now.

I went with T420 rather than T430 because of the difference in the keyboards--420 has the old style keyboard I"m used to, also more USB ports which I like. A hub is just something else for the cat to try to knock off my desk to see if it bounces. Also, it's been upgraded to 12 GB of memory rather than the 8 that many of them had. Edited by ebrke

I had intended to get a T420 myself. However, when I went to the store the T430 had an SSD, did not have the Optimus graphics and was in the very best shape of any Thinkpads they had. It has the newfangled keyboard but I am not much of a typist so this hasn't been a disadvantage.

I would have been fine with a T420 though. You should like it a lot.

I had intended to get a T420 myself. However, when I went to the store the T430 had an SSD, did not have the Optimus graphics and was in the very best shape of any Thinkpads they had. It has the newfangled keyboard but I am not much of a typist so this hasn't been a disadvantage.

I would have been fine with a T420 though. You should like it a lot.

This 420 also has 240 GB SSD.
  • Like 1