Fresh Install Of Slackware

mhbell

Problem SOLVED!

Just did a fresh install of slackware, and find I have a lot to learn. I downloaded and burned the ISO to a USB Stick. Booted up and installed using the text install. Haven't done that since about version 6 of Victor OS. Got it installed the KDE version. Booted it up and logged in as root. Used startx and got into KDE desktop. I've tried to add a user called mel, but can't find where to do it. I've tried several different places, but no luck. Where's that Slacker Eric? Help! Guess I just have to get use to the menu system in KDE. I haven't used KDE for years probably around 2000. I will still need help I'm sure finding things such as booting to the GUI without having to use startx. I'll probably figure it out.

Mel

Edited by mhbell

V.T. Eric Layton

From the command line:

root@ericsbane07/home/vtel57:# adduser

Login name for new user []:

... just follow the instructions: name, password, etc.

Control+D to drop down to non-root login.

Login using your new username+password.

Easy-peasy! :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

To have your user (not root) login automatically you'll need to edit the /etc/inittab.

Change line 24 from:

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)

id:3:initdefault:

to:

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)

id:4:initdefault:

These are the run levels in Slack:

# These are the default runlevels in Slackware:

# 0 = halt

# 1 = single user mode

# 2 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)

# 3 = multiuser mode (default Slackware runlevel)

# 4 = X11 with KDM/GDM/XDM (session managers)

# 5 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)

# 6 = reboot

You must have been typing when I wrote this. Will boot back into slack and try it.

I figured out and did it with KUSER. But how to get it to boot to KDE without having to use (startx) I want it to boot up to KDE login screen and then login. I don't want to have to login and then use Startx to get KDE.

Mel

Edited by mhbell
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

As far as any help in KDE goes... no can do. I haven't used KDE since v3.5. Now if you want to run Xfce and have any Qs, ask away. :)

You must have been typing when I wrote this. Will boot back into slack and try it.

I figured out and did it with KUSER. But how to get it to boot to KDE without having to use (startx) I want it to boot up to KDE login screen and then login. I don't want to have to login and then use Startx to get KDE.

Mel

When you change to run level 4, Slack will boot to X with KDE's session manager. There should be some option in that application to allow auto-logins. Beyond that, I dunno... not well-versed in KDE these days. :(

I'm not normally up this late (after midnight in Florida) these days, but I'm kinda' wired out a bit tonight. I was up watching the All-Star game. :)

Off to beddy-bye now, though. I'll check on you tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

As far as any help in KDE goes... no can do. I haven't used KDE since v3.5. Now if you want to run Xfce and have any Qs, ask away. :)

Mel

When you change to run level 4, Slack will boot to X with KDE's session manager. There should be some option in that application to allow auto-logins. Beyond that, I dunno... not well-versed in KDE these days. :(

I'm not normally up this late (after midnight in Florida) these days, but I'm kinda' wired out a bit tonight. I was up watching the All-Star game. :)

Off to beddy-bye now, though. I'll check on you tomorrow. :)

Thanks Eric U Da Slack Man. It worked like a charm I'm using it now. I'm sure I will have more question Like how do I install Thunderbird and other applications.

Mel

• Like 1

securitybreach

From the command line:

root@ericsbane07/home/vtel57:# adduser

Login name for new user []:

... just follow the instructions: name, password, etc.

Control+D to drop down to non-root login.

Login using your new username+password.

Easy-peasy! :)

BTW Mel, this is the same process to add a user on any version of linux.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Morning, Mel! Glad you got it squared away. Oh, and FF and Thunderbird are already included in Slack. Should be in your KDE menu somewhere. If you can't find it, just type firefox (or thunderbird) from the command line. Note: if you start apps from the terminal, don't kill the terminal because the app will go with it. You shouldn't have to do that, though. Like I said, FF and TB are standard goodies included in Slack.

Toodles...

Morning, Mel! Glad you got it squared away. Oh, and FF and Thunderbird are already included in Slack. Should be in your KDE menu somewhere. If you can't find it, just type firefox (or thunderbird) from the command line. Note: if you start apps from the terminal, don't kill the terminal because the app will go with it. You shouldn't have to do that, though. Like I said, FF and TB are standard goodies included in Slack.

Toodles...

Thanks Eric I'm still finding my way around in Slackware. I managed to import my copy of thunderbird from mint so I have all my email settings and address's. How do I go about getting updates. I tried slapt but not sure of the syntax.

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

To update your Slack, which you should do as soon as you install it, do the following:

1) First choose a server from the list --> /etc/slackpkg/mirrors

- edit the list via command line (or whatever's comfortable for you)

root@slackware~:$ vim /etc/slackpkg/mirrors

It will look like this:

# mirrors - List of Slackware Linux mirrors.

#

# SlackPkg - An Automated packaging tool for Slackware Linux

# Copyright © 2003-2011 Roberto F. Batista, Evaldo Gardenali

#

# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify

# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by

# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or

# (at your option) any later version.

#

# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of

# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

# GNU General Public License for more details.

#

# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License

# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software

# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

#

# Project Page:
http://slackpkg.org/

# Roberto F. Batista (aka PiterPunk) piterpunk@slackware.com

# Evaldo Gardenali (aka UdontKnow) evaldogardenali@fasternet.com.br

#

# END OF LEGAL NOTICE

#

Further down, you'll see individual servers. Just uncomment (remove #) the one you want to use.

2) Now you can update using Slackpkg:

root@slackware~:$ slacpkg update

The command will tell Slackpkg to search the server you chose for the updated package lists. Once this is done, it'll look like this in your terminal:

Resolving mirrors.slackware.com... 207.223.116.213

Connecting to mirrors.slackware.com|207.223.116.213|:443... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 845 [text/plain]

Saving to: '/tmp/slackpkg.8wnBEW/testing-PACKAGES.TXT'

/tmp/slackpkg.8wnBE 100%[===================>] 845 --.-KB/s in 0s

2018-07-18 20:01:07 (210 MB/s) - '/tmp/slackpkg.8wnBEW/testing-PACKAGES.TXT' saved [845/845]

Formatting lists to slackpkg style...

Package List: using CHECKSUMS.md5 as source

Package descriptions

root@slackware~:$

Now use the following command to actually upgrade the system:

root@slackware~:$ slackpkg upgrade-all

An ncurses window will appear in your terminal with all the packages that are available for upgrade... pick and choose or install all.

IxbIug1.png

Oh, this pic reminds me of something very IMPORTANT!

You'll need to blacklist your kernel from upgrading via slackpkg. It's NOT a good idea to upgrade the kernel with the package manager in Slackware. Always MANUALLY upgrade your kernel. To blacklist, you'll need to edit your /etc/slackpkg/blacklist file. Here's what my kernel blacklist entries look like:

kernel-firmware

kernel-generic

kernel-generic-smp

kernel-headers

kernel-huge

kernel-huge-smp

kernel-modules

kernel-modules-smp

kernel-source

Have funzies!

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've been using Slack as a primary OS for 12 years. Amazing how time flies. I remember my first d-load and install of Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake. Heh! After a few months of distro farming, Bruno suggest Slackware to me. He said, "You'd make a great Slacker." I hope I've lived up to his prophecy. :)

securitybreach

I've been using Slack as a primary OS for 12 years. Amazing how time flies. I remember my first d-load and install of Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake. Heh! After a few months of distro farming, Bruno suggest Slackware to me. He said, "You'd make a great Slacker." I hope I've lived up to his prophecy. :)

Well I technically started on Mandrake but I moved to Slackware not long afterwards also due to Bruno's advice. He knew that we liked to tinker and write our own configs.

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone for your help. After having tried Slackware for a few days, I've decided Slackware is not for me. (Sorry Eric) My main Distros are Mint 19 still number one, Siduction 3.0 LXQT my Number 2, and Debian 9.4 My number 3. I will Continue to try other distros as time permits. I like to try new version as long as they run on my computer. I do not use Virtual software. I only install to the hard drive (SSD). and only use UEFI and GPT partitioning.

Mel

V.T. Eric Layton

That's OK, Mel. No need to apologize. I enjoyed replying here. I don't get the chance to tutor new Slackers much these days. Slackware isn't for everyone... just amateur masochists. The REAL masochists use Gentoo. ;)

• Like 2

That's OK, Mel. No need to apologize. I enjoyed replying here. I don't get the chance to tutor new Slackers much these days. Slackware isn't for everyone... just amateur masochists. The REAL masochists use Gentoo. ;)

I tried Gentoo several years ago and never went back. I have tried a few Gentoo derivatives such as Redcore and Sabayon. I use to use Sabayon years ago. Just downloaded it again. For some reason it is not on Distrowatch to download anymore and their info is outdated. I went to the Sabayon web site and downloaded the latest which is 18.05. Distrowatch still has it listed as 16.11 and trying to download you get a 404 Error.

Mel

• Like 2

Hedon James

I tried Gentoo several years ago and never went back. I have tried a few Gentoo derivatives such as Redcore and Sabayon. I use to use Sabayon years ago. Just downloaded it again. For some reason it is not on Distrowatch to download anymore and their info is outdated. I went to the Sabayon web site and downloaded the latest which is 18.05. Distrowatch still has it listed as 16.11 and trying to download you get a 404 Error.

Mel

I've tinkered with Sabayon and liked it. Seemed like a well-designed and thought out distro. However, other than being a rolling-release, there just wasn't any compelling reason to tempt me to switch. Redcore is still on my list of distros that I'd like to check out and tinker with, once time permits. If I'm not mistaken, it is the only distro that offers LXQt as the default choice, and I'm VERY interested in LXQt these days! While others, such as Siduction, Manjaro, etc... offer a curated LXQt desktop, Redcore only offers LXQt. With no dilution of effort to offer multiple desktops, I imagine that LXQt is very polished on Redcore. I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts about Redcore if you'd be willing to share 'em?!

Other than LXQt, all I know is that it's based on Gentoo and a rolling distro. What else can you tell us about Redcore?

• Like 1

My introduction to Slackware came via Vector Linux. VL was the only distro that would operate the fan on my ancient Pentium II based Compaq laptop.

I got used to the text-based Slack installer and in my distro farming days, Eric and Urmas talked me through a Slack installation.

I never stuck with it though; probably this was because Slackware offered limited Gnome/GTK support. I have found Arch to be my enthusiast's distro of choice.

It's great that we have Eric around as the ultimate Slackware supporter and consultant. In many ways, he's taken over from Bruno - although we all know that's an impossible task.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Mel... Yup. Don't get me wrong. Let me clarify... just because I describe Gentoo as a masochist's dream does not mean I don't like the distribution. Gentoo is actually an outstanding Linux; very stable, expandable, solid, etc. It's just a real techie's type Linux (like LFS that Josh mentions). I'm too lazy for that stuff these days. ;)

@ Ray... "...taken over for Bruno..." Ah... the ultimate compliment. However, as you state, there is no substitute for Bruno. Oh, and those Slack dervivatives are outstanding, for the most part. My favorite is Zenwalk. :)

• Like 1

I've tinkered with Sabayon and liked it. Seemed like a well-designed and thought out distro. However, other than being a rolling-release, there just wasn't any compelling reason to tempt me to switch. Redcore is still on my list of distros that I'd like to check out and tinker with, once time permits. If I'm not mistaken, it is the only distro that offers LXQt as the default choice, and I'm VERY interested in LXQt these days! While others, such as Siduction, Manjaro, etc... offer a curated LXQt desktop, Redcore only offers LXQt. With no dilution of effort to offer multiple desktops, I imagine that LXQt is very polished on Redcore. I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts about Redcore if you'd be willing to share 'em?!

Other than LXQt, all I know is that it's based on Gentoo and a rolling distro. What else can you tell us about Redcore?

Well I think you will be disappointed with Redcore LXQT. First off it is Slow! Slow! Slow! booting up and it stalled on my computer. Using NOACPI I managed to get it to a partial desktop where it stalled. It is not ready for prime time. Glad I have a fast internet connection. I downloaded it in under 5 minutes and put it on a USB Stick. Booted it up and it took forever to start to load and then timed out before getting to a desktop. thats when I used NOACPI. Never could get it to install or work. Not worth my time and trouble.

Mel

• Like 1

Wow, that is a huge letdown Mel. I bought popcorn for this...now what?! :whistling:

Well I guess we will just have to wait and see if it gets fixed in a newer release. It originated in Romania so no telling how long before fixed. I may go to their forum and get more info. You might try it and maybe it will install or work on your computer. it does have a option to use it in a virtual machine.

:download:

Hedon James

Well, don't waste that popcorn! Sit down for a spell and watch the movie I watched the other night...

https://www.imdb.com...ref_=ttls_li_tt

101bustercrabbe.jpg

Wow! I knew Flash was a remake, but I wasn't aware the original was 1936! I'm guessing the 1936 soundtrack is a huge letdown from the remake's soundtrack?! LOL!

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Soundtrack? HA! Well... you should see the FX in this movie. State of the art... er, 1936 state, that is. ;)

• Like 1