Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

Thought it might be a good idea to have seperate threads thread devoted to articles about particular os's. In this way folk can have easy access to articles they may not normaly come across. Seeing as I use Arch that is what this thread is all about.

http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?p=3270

Arch Linux on a HiDPI Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (2013)

:breakfast:

IF YOU FIND A DECENT RELEVANT ARTICLE PLEASE DO POST

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

Arch Linux on a HiDPI Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro

I saw this one yesterday. Good stuff. Found a tip (in the comments following the article) that helped me fix the brightness issue on a notebook of mine that's running CrunchBang: add acpi_backlight=vendor to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in /etc/default/grub.

Arch Linux review

I like this one, too -- thanks! I'm very pleased with my ArchBang and Bridge Linux installations; I think they've been a great introduction to the Arch world. I can't call myself an Arch user because I haven't actually installed Arch, but ArchBang and Bridge use the Arch repos, kinda like Mepis uses the Debian repos. I think that ArchBang and Bridge are actually closer to Arch than Mepis is to Debian. The time I spent using Mepis turned out to be a major factor in making me a Debian user, so I figure I'll probably get around to installing Arch someday; just haven't found a reason to do it yet because things are going so well with these two Arch derivatives.

I can't see myself ever running only one distro, but my experiences with Archbang and Bridge have me feeling that if I ever get tired of following some of the other projects I'm following -- or if I ever find that I don't have time for running several different distros (I do hope that never happens because it's something that I really enjoy doing!) -- the ideal set-up for me would be a Debian Stable and Arch dual-boot. Perfect combination of solid/stable and rolling-release/cutting edge, in my view.

From the article:

No preferred GUI

Arch Linux does not suggest the use of any Desktop or window manager like Gnome or KDE over any other, so it is fully up to the user the choice of what to install and use.

There's been a lot of talk again recently about Debian switching from GNOME to Xfce for their "default" desktop environment. I like the "no preferred GUI" approach that Arch takes, and I think it would be a good approach for Debian as well, but in practice, it's kinda like that already with Debian because you can either choose an installation image that comes with one or another environment, or else install Debian without a DE/WM and then add one of your choosing.

I very much enjoy using KDE and GNOME Shell (and also Unity!) (Shhh!!!), but to me, Xfce and Openbox are great choices for Debian and Arch. I feel like either of those two environments fits well with what those two distros are all about.

For example, I think that running Xfce or Openbox with Arch would make things easier than running KDE or GNOME; I've seen the massive KDE upgrades that come down the pipe with Sabayon and Chakra, two other rolling/release distros that stay kinda close to the cutting edge.

Blah, blah, blah... See what you started, abarbarian?

• Like 1

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-use-yaourt-to-easily-download-arch-linux-community-packages

How To Use Yaourt to Easily Download Arch Linux Community Packages (2013)

I do not really want to fill up these threads with "How To" articles as I feel that there are already plenty of sites that service that need. Theses threads are more for user experience articles or articles showing how the os's have been used in outstanding and unusual circumstances and articles of interest centered around the particular os.

However the above though sounding like and indeed it is a "How To" article combines many of the other qualities stated above.

• Like 1

http://lifehacker.co...-in-the-process

Build a Killer Customized Arch Linux Installation (and Learn All About Linux in the Process) (2012)

As spotted by securitybreach the install walkthrough is now out of date. The first part of the article is worth a read though as many of the points raised are still relevant.

At least I think the first paragraph is. :harhar:

Edited by abarbarian

http://linuxaria.com/article/arkos-build-your-cloud-with-a-raspberry-pi?lang=en

arkOS: build your Cloud with a Raspberry Pi

arkOS comes with a custom Linux distribution for the Raspberry Pi, based on Arch Linux. In layman’s terms, it is just like any other operating system that you might have on your home computer (like Windows or Mac OS X), that allows you to run server software.

With arkOS, you can easily run and maintain a variety of personal cloud services with the push of a button. Using solutions like ownCloud, you can store your calendar, contacts, files, music, photos and more at home, and manage all of these items. Share them only with the people you want to see them. No more “privacy creep” from services like Google or Facebook – with arkOS, you become the master of your own privacy controls.

Here is a nice installation tutorial for installing Arch that a buddy of mine wrote. This is meant to use along with the Beginner's Guide but is a very nice tutorial:

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=66707&do=findComment&comment=384941

Here is a link to the original article,

How to install Arch Linux – easy way [updated, Nov 2013]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?p=3389

Manjaro, Arch, and Debian (2013)

Overall this is quite a good article. However it does show a lack of understanding on the authors side as to the How and Why of Arch. For example,

Upon filing a bug, I was told that it would have been easier for me to create the package I wanted than to keep discussing whether it even should be packaged. Of course, making your first package is much harder than installing it, just like making a cake is much harder than eating it. I told him that he should have just added the package like every other distro has, rather than keep coming up with invalid reasons not to, but that wasn’t convincing

The part outlined in red shows a sever lack of understanding about the Arch Way, if you need an explanation as to why I suggest you find a quiet spot and meditate.

securitybreach

Yeah I really do not understand why he mentioned Manjaro and Debian as he did not even install either one of those. He mentioned thinking about installing Manjaro but ended up installing real Archlinux instead.

Yeah I really do not understand why he mentioned Manjaro and Debian as he did not even install either one of those. He mentioned thinking about installing Manjaro but ended up installing real Archlinux instead.

Sanity prevailed. :clap:

• Like 1

I have to agree, i was recommending manjaro but after digging more deep.. I feel that its better to recommend something that points to arch repositories like Antergos but their iso seems to be broken and fails to install a package then installation breaks, anyway, my friend is moving soon from Manjaro to Arch linux.

Also, nice post, i heard about arkos, perhaps i should try it as soon as my rasperry pi hits my home, i really like the idea of hosting my own services, so now the decision is: arch ARM or arkos

Edited by Reynaldo
  • Like 1

Also, nice post, i heard about arkos, perhaps i should try it as soon as my rasperry pi hits my home, i really like the idea of hosting my own services, so now the decision is: arch ARM or arkos

Arch Arm runs sweet on the old Pi with 256 MB as I have already tried it out. I guess it will run even better on the newer 512 MB Pi's. :breakfast:

securitybreach
...anyway, my friend is moving soon from Manjaro to Arch linux....

It takes a little bit more time for the setup but it is well worth the time and effort to have a real Archlinux install.

• 4 weeks later...

http://allanmcrae.com/2014/01/who-packaged-for-arch-linux-in-2013/

Who Packaged for Arch Linux in 2013

I was having a look at the current state of the Arch Linux repositories today in terms of the number of packages each person maintains and thought it interesting to see who did the packaging last year. So here are some numbers!

A big thank you to all the folk who contributed to Arch. :th_Smileywave:

• Like 1

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/79607.html

Manjaro Smooths Out Arch's Rough Edges (2013)

The difficulties I encountered installing and running Manjaro would normally have pushed me to part company with this distro -- I must assume that the rather rapid development cycles and the number of different desktop environments in the fray caused some quality control issues.

I am sure that the author is trying to promote Manjaro and he seems to have put a lot of time and effort into trying out the distro.The opening paragraph was what prompted me to include the article in this thread.

Why on earth would you want to waste time on Manjaro when you can easily set up and use the real thing.

Here are a few quotes from the article that clearly explain why I feel that Manjaro is to be avoided.

These community editions might be more suitable for less experienced Linux users. The only drawback is a delay in updating the current versions. For instance, the KDE edition was last released in October while the Enlightenment 17, MATE and LXDE editions were updated in September.

The Openbox edition did not run at all on any hardware. Both the Cinnamon and Xfce editions ran on some of my Intel and AMD hardware but not on every one of my six test computers. In some cases on 64-bit computers, the 64-bit DVD failed to boot but the same hardware booted fine with the 32-bit version.

Manjaro displays a note on the log-on screen announcing the default user name and password are "manjaro." I could not get beyond that point on some of the test computers. After I entered "manjaro," the system reported that authentication failed. Having to enter a user name and password just to get into a live session is ridiculous.

Whereas Arch-based Linux distros tend to target more advanced users, Manjaro is trying to bridge that gap to make using it more like Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

If I wanted mint I would suck on a Polo. :Smiley-IPB-400:

• Like 2

securitybreach

http://www.technewsw...tory/79607.html

Manjaro Smooths Out Arch's Rough Edges (2013)

I am sure that the author is trying to promote Manjaro and he seems to have put a lot of time and effort into trying out the distro.The opening paragraph was what prompted me to include the article in this thread.

Why on earth would you want to waste time on Manjaro when you can easily set up and use the real thing.

Here are a few quotes from the article that clearly explain why I feel that Manjaro is to be avoided.

If I wanted mint I would suck on a Polo. :Smiley-IPB-400:

Manjaro is not Archlinux!! It's like saying Ubuntu is Debian. They use different repositories and just because you base it on a distro, does not make it that distro. I agree with your comment. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Isn't this just a custom repository with security tools?

I belive so. It was the first time I have come across BlackArchLinux and thought it would interest some folk. I got lost reading through all the tools it includes. :shifty:

• Like 1

securitybreach

I started to use it a while ago but at the time, it was trying to change a ton of libraries so I backed out of it. I may test it on my netbook today though.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.thelinuxrain.com/articles/opinion-archlinux-and-stability

Opinion: Arch Linux and Stability

Article posted 04/02/2014

by Andrew Powell

Nice little article.

Bit puzzled why he seems to think you need to reboot after an update. Mind you after 57 days rebooting after a update seems a wise thing to do.

Debian running better than Arch, hmmm methinks some tweaking is in order. :breakfast:

securitybreach

Oh and he didn't say that he always reboots after updates but he probably got a kernel update after waiting 57 days, hence the reboot needed. B)

Oh and he didn't say that he always reboots after updates but he probably got a kernel update after waiting 57 days, hence the reboot needed. B)

True. :breakfast:

• Like 1

Yeah, my impression so far is that Arch is nicer to use, and more "stable," than many people realize.

I like Debian Stable, or even Ubuntu LTS or openSUSE; those are very dependable and easy to maintain, in my experience. But I prefer Arch over Debian Sid or Debian Testing, and I like it better than Fedora. "Cutting edge," but still surprisingly solid.

I installed Bridge Linux about a year ago this month, and I'm quite pleased with how things have gone (once installed, Bridge is just Arch). Also, several months running ArchBang, and now I also have a "real" Arch installation that I added back around November. Either of those three is a very nice way to go, in my opinion.

Even though I started out with Bridge and ArchBang, I think it's good to do a "straight" Arch installation. Seems like I appreciate Bridge and ArchBang more after installing Arch, maybe because I better understand how things go.