• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:47 PM

Bruno,,,Thanks, but how do I get this thing back to booting into Mandrake instead of Meppis, that is the question and after that situation is straight, I need to find out how to configure Meppis so I can get to the web with it.  Maybe there is someone here in the forums that has good knowledge of Meppis and can steer me in that direction and also tell me what the second disk is for. I am guessing you are going to say that   this is going to   be one of these  kedit /etc/lilo.conf    affairs   along with some mkdir for Mepis an some mnt  and umount  ...   am  I close  on that ????????????? :D  :)
Dale

U.S. Navy (ret.) '62 - '84
Communications (Radioman)

Reg. Linux User 412421

#52 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:54 PM

Hi DaleYou do not need the second Mepis CD . . I run Mepis and installed only the first CD . . To restore Mandrakes Lilo just do "/sbin/lilo" as root while you are in Mandrke . . . and adding Mepis to is is indeed how you picture it . . . but you only have to copy "vmlinuz-2.6.4" and "vmlinuz-2.4.26" form /boot in Mepis to a directory /boot/mepis in Drake . . . then this is the part to add to the Mandrake /etc/lilo.conf:
image=/boot/mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.26        label="Mepis-24"        root=/dev/hdb10         vga=788         read-onlyimage=/boot/mepis/vmlinuz-2.6.4        label="Mepis-26"        root=/dev/hdb10         vga=788         read-only
( !! change /dev/hdb10 to your situation !! )The run /sbin/lilo again and all is set !:D Bruno

#53 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:06 PM

Bruno,,Okay I sort of get that but I was thinking I would have to do the same thing here as I did to get Slack on the selection menu at boot up....as rootmkdir /boot/Meppismkdir /mnt/Meppismount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/Meppis    (hdb1 is where root is at for Meppis)cp /mnt/Meppis/boot/vmlinux-ide-2.4.26 /boot/Meppisumount /mnt/Meppisand then do the kedit /etc/lilo.conf and make the entries there  ,,, how come there are two different ones, I am guessing that one is the 2.4. XX kernel and the other is the 2.6. XX kernel  ...  yes , no
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#54 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

Correct . . that is the way to do it Dale . . Only the cp commands are:cp /mnt/Meppis/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.4 /boot/Meppiscp /mnt/Meppis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26  /boot/Meppis2 dirrefent kernels to boot from :D . . so you can choose at boot . . .And Meppis = Mepis :)        :o Bruno

#55 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:43 PM

:D  :) Bruno,,,,Ahhh...... I  see  ...  so it is all the same as when I added the Slack to the selection menu, except as you said 2 cp commands and spell Mepis with one p and then in the lilo.conf make the two entries for the two kernel selections and lastly the web connection. As I mentioned the KPPP dialer does not have enoungh selections it needs to go to ttys4 for my system to connect to the web and during the install unless I missed it somewhere there is not a configuration menu like there is in Slack and Mandrake to set up the web connection. That is a problem for me too, also what is on that second disk anyhow. Have you loaded it in to see ????
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#56 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

I do not have the second disk of Mepis Dale . . . . so can not tell you . . but kppp sure should be on the first disk . . if not "apt-get" it . . .  . apt-get updateapt-get install kpppB) Bruno

#57 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:58 PM

Bruno,,,It has the KPPP dialer on the menu, it just does not go far enough with the listings it has, so I am guessing that the info you just gave me is somewhat like the network configurations that are in Mandrake and Slack, if so that will be a lot easier.  Thanks for your help too ....  I just might try another distro tomorrow after I get Mepis straightened out.
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#58 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:07 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding Dale . . . it is far too late for me ( 2:07 AM ) , am just not concentrated enough to read properly . . :) . . . . will have a look in it in the morning . . . :D Bruno

#59 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

:) Bruno,,,Okay,,,,,  good night .....     tomorrow is another day ...  :D
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#60 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:30 AM

Hi DaleThis is what i found in your post:

As I mentioned the KPPP dialer does not have enoungh selections it needs to go to ttys4
Is there no way to type that in manually ??Also I told you to use apt-get . . well if you have no net connection yet you can not use apt-get, so disregard that one  :D The things you write about Lilo:

so it is all the same as when I added the Slack to the selection menu, except as you said 2 cp commands and spell Mepis with one p and then in the lilo.conf make the two entries for the two kernel
does look correct to me . . . I would say just set it up and see if it boots . . if not we will analyse where the error is and fix it. ;)I would suggest: first boot back into Mandrake and restore that lilo to the MBR with "/sbin/lilo" . . after that add Mepis to lilo and wrtite it to the MBR again . . then check if it all works ( boots )  . . then we will see about kppp later . . . there are other dialers you can use, but they tent to be more complicated ;)B) Bruno

#61 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:11 AM

Bruno,,,In order,  as far as I know I can not add onto the menu that is listed, nor is there anywhere that I can see to make my own selections by adding it in ... so  I  shall wait on that one then.I did the   mkdir and all for getting Mepis ready to be booted, when I tried to make  the  cp commands it gives an error that there is not file or directory  for that  ??????   I have not yet changed LILO  to reflect Mepis yet ...  does that have anything to do with the  errors ???? Morning toooo .... :D
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#62 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:50 PM

Hi DaleLet me know when you are ready and we will do the copy and lilo together step by step, so I can see what is wrong . . I suppose this part was okay:
mkdir /boot/Mepismkdir /mnt/Mepismount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/Mepis
So do only the last command again and show me
ls /mnt/Mepis
:D Bruno

#63 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

Bruno,,,,Before I do the ls /mnt     here is what happens when I try to do the cp commandsPassword:[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.26 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.26': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.6.4 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.6.4': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#64 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:49 PM

Dale,Drop the "ide". :D

vmlinuz-2.4.26 & vmlinuz-2.6.4

~ Linux User # 314972 ~ Ubuntu User # 12930 ~

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
                -- Mark Twain

#65 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:49 PM

Yep . . but Dale . . those are the wrong kernels !!! the Mepis ones do not have "-ide" in the name !!Do "ls /mnt/Mepis/boot" and you will see the correct names and can copy and paste them into the command !B) Bruno

#66 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

B)  ;) Bruno,,,This sort of leads me to think that maybe the mkdir  cmds did not take[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis/bootls: /mnt/Mepis/boot: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#67 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:17 PM

Or the mount did not work . . Show me:
mount
and
ls /mnt
B) Bruno

#68 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

Okay,, that is a possiblity too, if I re-enter the mkdir cmds, will it overwrite the previous ones if they are there or will it be duplicates ...  also here is some more  cp mnt   info[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis/bootls: /mnt/Mepis/boot: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.4 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.4': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#69 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

It will report an error if they are already there . . . Please post
ls /mnt
and
mount
B) Bruno

#70 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:32 PM

Ask and ye shall receive  .....    B) [root@localhost dale]# ls mountls: mount: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# mount/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw)none on /proc type proc (rw)none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)none on /dev type devfs (rw)none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)/dev/hda7 on /home type ext3 (rw)none on /mnt/cdrom type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)none on /mnt/cdrom2 type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)/dev/hda6 on /usr type ext3 (rw)/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/Mepis type ext3 (rw)[root@localhost dale]#
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#71 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:34 PM

And you are 100% sure Mepis is on hdb1 ??( /mnt/Mepis is mounted . . so we are on the right track )do
ls /mnt/Mepis
B) Bruno

#72 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:41 PM

B) This is not the only lost and found I know of .....[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepislost+found/[root@localhost dale]#
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#73 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

That means Mepis is NOT on hdb1 !!! . . . . better check what partition Mepis is on and first:
umount /mnt/Mepis
B) Bruno

#74 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:57 PM

Bruno ,,, Here it is ....[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis[root@localhost dale]# umount /mnt/Mepisumount: /mnt/Mepis: not mounted[root@localhost dale]#do you think that  maybe a reinstall might just clear this all up .... I checked the MCC >mount points >hard drives> and there is a Linux OS mounted on hdb, it does not say if it is Mepis or not, but it shows one being there. On hda it shows Mandrake as having root, swap, usr and home partitions.
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#75 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:01 PM

No  . . no reinstall is needed !

[root@localhost dale]# umount /mnt/Mepisumount: /mnt/Mepis: not mounted