281 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:00 AM

I NEED  to do that with all three C,D & E do I ???? or just C
If you want to be able to access all of them, you will need to do that with all three of them. However, those will stay mounted untill you shutdown the machine.Bruno can tell you how to automount them, so it does it automatically everytime you start your computer. I, unfortunately, don't know anything about how to automount a drive.  It's midnight for me here so I'm going to go get some sleep. See ya in the morning. I'm sure Bruno will have some more ideas for us by them too ;)Good luck!

#52 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

Thanks So Much Sonic  :thumbsup: Think I may leave it till Bruno Shows upColin  :D
Registered Linux User: # 440412
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 05:37 AM

Colin, Colin  . . . Colin, Colin  . . . . . You are so impatient my friend !  :thumbsup: . . . Okay a few remarks first:1). I told you on page one of this thread that PCLos would not yet be in Lilo and that I would help you to put it there after.2). Windows drives should not be mounted manually, they will be automounted at the moment you want to access them, BUT more about that later !3). I am not happy with KDE giving this error so we will do a new install all over again. You seemed to insist on the "1024 x 768 24bpp" what was MY configuration . . . Adam told you to do 16bpp what was already a lot better as it seems  . . BUT you never went for the default that the wizard showed you . . Why ??4). I t is not really clear how you went about getting the updates . . . . = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = BUT: Let us do one thing at a time, we do a new install and this time at this screen:Posted ImageYou pay extra attention to this:Posted Image You see that button "Configure" on the line of "Graphical Interface" ??Now pay attention, and print out this part: All you do is press that button and at the screens you get after that you change nothing but only press OK ( or Next ) and go for what the wizard finds for you . . . you will get 3 or 4 screens with settings for monitor and graphic card that you simply accept without changing anything. ( Even if it is set at 800x600 with 256 colors !! )  After that there will be a question if you want to test the settings of the "Graphical Interface": You say YES and it will show you a multicolored screen . . if the screen looks okay you press "YES" and after that the "Graphical Interface" is configured and you make no more changes to it. ( Only note down what it says so you can post it on the Forum later )So in a nutshell: let the wizard do its work and accept whatever it finds are the best generic settings for your computerThen after that, you reboot using the  "Linux" entry in the Lilo bootloader . . . . and wait till I am back online:D Bruno

#54 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 10:43 AM

Righty Ho BrunoMandrake 10 installed again and STILL the hang up with KDE. I am in GnomeTh Wizard chose800x600 16 million colorsThe test screens I accepted as did NOT know what to expect There were Broad vertical lines down and then ascreen with multicolored dots??? on it and accepted even though unsureThe screen now is NOT full screen like it was after the 1024x780 choiceColin    :thumbsup:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#55 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 10:44 AM

Bruno AlsoThe Generic Choice was 1024x780 @ 70Kh or MHertzColin  :thumbsup:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

BrunoUpdates were from nlug that I found on the choices available from different countries Why I think PCLos is gone because the on the first Install I left--->>>\data on hda9and continued with the install and did NOT Uncheck itAnd YES oh BOY YES this  :o SCORPIO is SO IMPATIENT  :w00t:  :hmm:  a trait I have yet to masterColin  :hmm:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:02 PM

And alsoSTILL have to hit the KILL button for "Shut Down" and use "reboot" which WORKS to go into windows to shutdownColin   :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#58 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:21 PM

Hi Colin   Great info ! . . . :hmm:  Well my conclusion is that either there will be updates that fix your KDE . . or your CDs have a fault on them. BUT we will see that laterand continue from here on !  What I have planned for tonight is:  1). Install anacron 2). Get the REAL updates 3). See if PCLos is still there and if so add it to Lilo 4). See if KDE is fixed with the updates and rebooting 5). Setting the screen resolution to 1024x780 @ 70Kh  I will lead you step by step through this :hmm: . . . . AND I even booted into Gnome to be able to give you exact instructions.  So tell me when you are ready and we take off . . . :w00t: Oh yes: if you get stuck on the Halt or reboot: press Ctrl+Alt+backspace . . this will take you out of the GUI . . then you can either reboot or shutdown.  :o Bruno

#59 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

Righty Ho BrunoI am In Linux/Gnome and readyAlthough my better half has me leaving in around 3 hours for a DATE with the Accountant for our yearly OUCH tax returnsColin  :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

OOPSI'm in as "user" kamicota NOT RootColin  :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#61 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

Colin . . let us not waste time then :w00t: :DFrom the topbar menu: Applications --> System --> Configuration --> Configure your Computer. Then give your rootpassword in the dialog. After that press the "Software Management" icon and then "Install" . . . . press OK when asked. Then the Software install GUI comes up: Now you can type "anacron" in the searchbox and press search. Once found tick the box of the package and press install . . . it will ask you for a CD . .provide the CD and go on with the install.Let me know if the install was successful . . . . give it time to finish the processes.:hmm: BrunoPS: User colin is perfect ;D

#62 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:36 PM

Install successfulColin  :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:40 PM

Okay . . . now press "QUIT" . . we will stay in the MCC but we only go out of the "Install" . . . . then press the "Media Manager" icon . . . . Do you see next to the 3 CDs listed also an update source ?:w00t: Bruno

#64 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

No BrunoThere are 4 CD's listedColin
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:49 PM

Good . . then we will ad it manually: ( forgot about the 4 CDs :w00t: ) Click on the "add" button then tick the box "security updates" ( last one on the right ) . . . . Then paste this in the URL box:
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/updates/10.0/RPMS
The tick the box "Relative Path to synthesis/hdlist" and paste this in that box:
../base/hdlist.cz
Then click OK and wait for the process to finish . . . . and press OK on the large window . . . this will bring you back to the 4 icons of the software management . . . Now press the "Updates" icon and when asked press "YES" to get the list . . . then post me if you get to see any updates . . :hmm: Bruno

#66 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:56 PM

Yeah Bruno4Packages--->>>cvslibutempterutempterxchatThats without all the nubers in like 1.1.etc etcColin  :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:59 PM

Okay Colin . . we managed to get this far . . so install the updates ! :DLet me know when you are ready for the next step :DB) Bruno

#68 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

All For installed BrunoAnd List of Updates empty was the last messageColin  :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#69 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:03 PM

Good . .excellent . . . we can close the MCC now !Next on the Agenda: Adding PCLos to lilo:Open a console ( Gnome-console is okay )
$ su password # mkdir  /mnt/pclos # mount  /dev/hda9 /mnt/pclos # ls  /mnt/pclos
Show me the results . . :DB) Bruno

#70 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:06 PM

[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# mkdir  /mnt/pclos[root@localhost kamicota]#  mount  /dev/hda9 /mnt/pclos[root@localhost kamicota]#  ls  /mnt/pclos[root@localhost kamicota]#No LOOKY Good ehColin  :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#71 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:09 PM

No indeed  . . it is looking like PCLos is gone down the drain :(Well we just will wait for the next version of PCLos and will install that one later on hda9 . . ;)Let us try to reboot Colin and see if KDE still acts weird after the updates :w00t: . . if it does press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and come back to Gnome.:hmm: Bruno

#72 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:17 PM

Hi Bruno :w00t:  still the 42% hang up with KDE and--->>>ctrl/alt/backspace did NOT  :hmm:  work had to a cold shutdownColin  :hmm:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:18 PM

OOPS the other anomaly ISThat the screen is ONLY 3/4 sizeColin  :w00t:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#74 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:22 PM

Colin . . . Cold shutdowns are extremely harmfull for your install !!!Better next time Ctrl+Alt+F1 . . then log in as root ( not "su" ) and type reboot . . . . First now on the Agenda is making a boot-CD . . . open a console and:
$ su< password ># mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk
This will put a "rescue.iso"file in your /home/colin . . . . either rightclick it and choose burn a CD with K3b . . or:
# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 rescue.iso
( see to it that there is a CD in the drive ):hmm: BrunoAfter this is screen resolution :w00t:

Edited by Bruno, 24 April 2004 - 01:24 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:24 PM

BrunoI know that about cold shut downsAs for logging in as root there is ONLY the "kamicota" user optionNow to the Boot CDColin
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users