Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#52 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:18 PM

JuliaThat was the first Suse CD1 I downloaded from the link--->>>BUT afterthought IT may have been a failed ATTEMPT with a previous laptop file copy I tried and it did not work and this may go for the first 3 CDsI will burn another set on NEW CDr's ands see what happens OKColin  :thumbsup: & :thumbsup: & :sweatingbullets:
Registered Linux User: # 440412
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:20 PM

That might have happened.  It picked up what you were trying to burn before.  Take a look at the other Cds before you rebiurn them and see what is on themn.  :sweatingbullets:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#54 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

NOW I have ??? :D  :D  :D  :thumbsup:  about booting from the USB drive toIs the better solution once I get the first 3 CD's reburned to REPLACE Mepis on the Linux Desktop as I am a little hesitant although NOT totally against replacing XP on the laptopBut I will just throw these ideas outColin  :sweatingbullets:  :thumbsup:  B)
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#55 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

It would always be better to put it on the main drive and then use the external to store files!
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#56 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:28 PM

To give you an idea, here is the steps we are looking at with the external drive:  

et me start by saying that not only is it possible to install and run linux from an external USB drive, I am doing it right now. To date I have successfully installed Suse, Fedora and Ubuntu on an external drive, as well as having Frugalware and PCLinuxOS on my internal HDD, all available through boot options in GRUB.You would be right in assuming that if your BIOS has USB boot support, there shouldnt be a problem at all. The thing with Linux is that most distributions don't have USB support loaded into the kernel during the boot phase, so you will generally come across such errors as the root drive not being found, etc etc etc.You can easily overcome this by creating an INITRD Ramdisk that will force the kernel to preload USB support during boot.In the case of suse, you do this by:1. Install Suse to the USB device (/sda, or sdb etc) - make sure you select to have the grub bootloader installed on the USB drive too, and not the Master drive.2. Boot from the CD into Rescue mode3. Issue the following commands:'mkdir /mnt/sysimage''mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/sysimage''chroot /mnt/sysimage'NOTE: sdaX refers to the partition u installed Suse on and the mapping of the USB drive (could be /sdb or similar too).4. Use VI to edit the following file - /etc/sysconfig/kernel'5. Add the following into the quotes at the line that has: INITRD_MODULES=" "ehci-hcdohci-hcduhci-hcdsd_modusb-storageTHIS LINE SHOULD NOW LOOK LIKE THIS:INITRD_MODULES="reiserfs ehci-hcd ohci-hcd uhci-hcd usb-storage sd_mod"6. Issue the following commands:'mount -tproc none /proc''mkinitrd'7. Add the kernel and initrd image to the boot grub loader on the master boot record (NOTE: for the initrd line, just add initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd - where hd1,6 is relevant to your partition setup)A typical default Suse 9.2 install grub line for this setup would look like below (be sure to substitute according to your configuration):title Suse 9.2 (USB)kernel (hd1,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-24-smp ro root=/dev/sda2initrd (hd1,1)/boot/initrd8. REBOOT!!!The steps for other distros are a bit different, but the purpose of the exercise is the same. If u need help with another distro, I can provide individual steps for that too.

Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#57 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

OOPS JuliaThink this is NOT a winner for meA new CDR and agai a CALDERA DR-DOSSo there is something going on here that escapes meColin  :thumbsup:  :sweatingbullets:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#58 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

I don't use Nero so maybe someone can pipe in here with what it takes to burn it in Windows.  Is it possible to right click on your iso and get a burn menu?
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#59 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

At least this is giving me time to upload images to flickr and to defrost my refrigerator. :sweatingbullets:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#60 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:53 PM

Nope JuliaRight Click does NOT give that OptionAnd all there is on the cd is the "rar" ISO file when I looked at itIf I want ot pursue Suse 9.3 THINK I will need to re download in Linux and progress from there What a pain eh  :sweatingbullets:  :thumbsup:  :D Colin  :thumbsup:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#61 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

If you have Linux still on your regular drive you can boot into that and burn your image from there - you don't have to re-download it.  :sweatingbullets:  Boot into that version and we will go from there.
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#62 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:12 PM

JuliaMy Desktops are --->>>One is TOTALLY Windows XPthe otherIs TOTALLY Linux with --->>>PCLosATLMepisand the Laptop is TOTALLY Windows XPCheers for YearsColin
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

Ok.  If you can not get the laptop to burn it in Linux, rather than download, you might use Linux tools and burnthe images as an image to copy to another computer to burn the correct disk there?  Just a thought.  Am I as clear as mud?
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#64 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

Yes CLEAR as MUDD  :hysterical: although I have all 5 isos on cd may be able to copy on to desktop here in Mepis and try a reburn what do you thinkColin :icon8: BUT STILL  :D  :P  :rolleyes:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

If you have them on a CD do this.1.  Insert the CD in the drive while booted into the distro of your choice.2.  Use Konqueror or desktop icon to display image of CD.3.  Drag the CD image to your desktop or home.  4.  Right click on new image and select K3b burn.5.  Make the new CD using K3b!
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#66 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

Righty HoWill tryColin  :hysterical:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

I know you can do it!
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#68 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:18 PM

ColinOh ColinColinAre you here?  What happened?  Where did you go?  Did you get lost downloading or diid someone lead you astray - jealous of your time with Linux?  :hysterical:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#69 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:35 PM

JuliaI HAD TO GO WALKIES some of the frustration needed releasing NOW I am BACKand I am so touched Thank you Colin  :hysterical:  :rolleyes:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#70 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:44 PM

Walking is a great stress relief.  I prefer shopping!  :hysterical:  Did you get anywhere with your images?  What is your current status?  Let me know and I will back out of Knoppix and switch over when you are ready.  :rolleyes:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#71 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

JuliaThank you for being SO UNDERSTANDINGHave just burned CD1 in Mepis & It is SuseNow we will have to copy cd 2 - 5 to desktop & do ther sameThank you  :hysterical: Colin  :rolleyes:
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#72 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

ColinI understand.  No problem. It is frustrating when things do not go according to plan.  Are you up to doing it today or have you spent too long at the computer?  Should we start back in tomorrow afternoon when you are fresh?  If so, let me know and finish burning your CDs today and we will resume.If you want to continue today, that is cool too.  I have a granddaughter bugging me to do an ice cream run (she lives on the stuff) and I will go do a quick run and come back or if you are close to being ready we will do our run later.  :)Just let me know.
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#73 OFFLINE   kamicota

kamicota

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

JuliaPLEASE see to GRANDAUGHTER THEY ARE SO SPECIALmY TRIALS STILL CONTINUE WITH mEPIS Ejecting cd etcSo will try again in PCLOScatch you soonTake care and enjoy the warmth of a greandaughterCheers for YearsColin
Kamicotas Homepage
Posted Image

#74 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:07 PM

OK.  We will make a store run.  She has lived with me all summer and must go back to college this week.  Then daughter comes home from France in one week.   It seems I get them one at a time this summer, not counting the usual summer visitors. :hysterical:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#75 OFFLINE   havnblast

havnblast

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

Just a note in Nero to burn an iso file - normally the wizard comes up when you start up Nero, just cancel that than go under the menu Record and go down to burn an image and than browse to the .iso file you want and Nero takes over from there.

Edited by havnblast, 20 August 2005 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users