Phoenix0.5 (Naples)

Squire

Has anyone tried the above? I just downloaded and would like other opinions, impressions, and experience. I presently use Mozilla 1.3 and find it to be superior to IE. Hoping Phoenix lives up to its reputation of being leaner and faster.Squire

SonicDragon

From what i hear, Poenix is faster, leaner, etc. but i have never tested it my self. For me, Poenix is not worth it yet. I still want the email client that's built into Mozilla. But, the mozilla org said a few days ago that it would be switching gears. They are to stop focusing on Mozilla and start focusing on Peonix. They are going to decrease the blot and what not. The development.... language (i guess is the word)... is going to be different to, making more cross-platform friendly and such.So, untill they make an email add on, i'm stickin' with Mozilla.

I love Phoenix - small and quick just the way it should be. I still feel a mail client should be seperate. A browser is a brower and a Email client is an email client. Why add bloat to a nice program? Many great email programs exist for that, but leave the browsers out of it.I even have burnt Phoenix to a cd and take the cd with me to work and use it instead of IE. Just run it off the CD - got to love portability!

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, I don't think it takes much to learn Phoenix. Most of early users were former Netscape users, so if you know Netscape, you'd know Internet Explorer and consequently know Phoenix as well.I didn't find much problems getting my way around in Phoenix. Right now I am using Phoenix as I am replying to this thread.

I'm with the Mozilla crowd myself. Surprisingly good to see so many people using this browser. Scott didn't give it too good of a review in his latest newsletter, due to some random slow webpages (i've yet to see that bug, but i'm betting its his 'puter setup or something) :blink: I tried Phoenix 0.5 briefly, looked the same, except no mail or address book :rolleyes: I think a browser NEEDS an email client. Makes sending links, pages, etc, a lot nicer since it's all in one. Besides, I love Mozilla's email. Blows Outlook Express out.Until Phoenix IS mozilla (with pop-up blocking, spam control, cookie control, email), its not worth it.

I just downloaded Phoenix based on what I read here and my previous experience with Mozilla (which was mostly positive). What a novel concept, a small, tight, un-bloated web browser! From what I've seen so far, it renders pages well and is quick. Like havnblast, I don't need another e-mail client, at one point I was running IE, Mozilla and Netscape plus using Pegasus for e-mail, four e-mail clients is three to many. I also really like the fact that you don't have to install it!! Unzip it and go (with a virus scan first) :rolleyes: Seems pretty nifty, hope they don't screw it up.Chris

Guest ThunderRiver
I'm with the Mozilla crowd myself.  Surprisingly good to see so many people using this browser.  Scott didn't give it too good of a review in his latest newsletter, due to some random slow webpages (i've yet to see that bug, but i'm betting its his 'puter setup or something)  :( I tried Phoenix 0.5 briefly, looked the same, except no mail or address book  :rolleyes: I think a browser NEEDS an email client.  Makes sending links, pages, etc, a lot nicer since it's all in one.  Besides, I love Mozilla's email.  Blows Outlook Express out.Until Phoenix IS mozilla (with pop-up blocking, spam control, cookie control, email), its not worth it.
Mm..did you try Phoenix long enough? It seems like you did NOT know it already comes with pop blocker and stuff. You should try to nightly build. You should be impressed. Phoenix is meant to strip off that annoying address book and email client.They plan to make both features separately, which is what most people, like me, have desired for a long time. Back to the time of Netscape 4.08, I have always hated it because I had to choose to install Composer, Netscape email, and address book by default. It is just wasting my space.

Lover of quiet computers

I've used Phoenix and liked it, but until they finally release 1.0 (or until it's fully incorporated into the main Mozilla project), it's too early to fully determine the level of prodigy represented by the efforts of those responsible for it. (In other words, we won't really know how good it is until it's out of alpha/beta.)

0.5 is quite stable for me
Yeah I am with you, Thunder. I started using it again about 10 days ago. I find myself using IE less and less. They have made huge strides since last fall. At this rate, IE will soon be the second best browser again.

Does anyone know if they have addressed the memory leak in Phoenix yet??
It looks they are improving.I have this nightly build from April 7 and it is best I tried so far
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030407 Phoenix/0.5+

I can have bunch of tabs open and browse for couple of hours without exceeding 29 Mb consistent.I think it depends on a build version since people on odd version report memory leaks.If you have memory leak, easy way would be to minimize it and then restore.

For the record, I LOVE Phoenix. I greatly prefer it to Mozilla. And the UI is very similar. Main difference is there's no email in Phoenix. I also have tested Phoenix on some of the reported "slow" pages with Mozilla, and the problem does not exist under Phoenix. That may perhaps be the best thing of all.I also just like what I call the de-AOL-ification of Phoenix. I haven't been this excited about a browser in, well, at least five years. Probably since I first tried Opera.-- Scot

I also just like what I call the de-AOL-ification of Phoenix. I haven't been this excited about a browser in, well, at least five years. Probably since I first tried Opera.-- Scot
Scot, Couldn't agree more, I always dread installing a new version of Netscape for that very reason, you'll have to spend the next 30 mins killing, turning off and eradicating all the added junk that you didn't want in the first place. I really like Phoenix so far, just a small, tight, fast web browser. I haven't seen any rendering issues yet. All the sites I usually visit display just fine so far. I hope it stays this way. :D Chris

I've decided to give Phoenix a try... I haven't been a fan in the past of tabbed browsers... I always preferred to alt-tab between windows. With the pop-up blocker built in, and seamless integration with my internet keyboard (and back button on my mouse), it seems that this program will become my primary browser... It'll be hard to give up IE (it's never given me a lick of trouble), but this seems like the program that could do it...

Have tried several different browsers, in several different versions, and have stopped now that I've started using Phoenix 0.5 build 4/11/03; another excellent and very stable build is 3/20/03. Fairly soon version 0.6 should be out. :D

As a Phoenix user for nearly a year now, I just have to add my hearty recommendation. Must have tried 20 browsers but keep coming back to Phoenix.It's been my default for ages. It looks good with "Phoenity" theme and customized to a single toolbar. Lots of page space. I also prefer a separate email client although the "matching" one will be worth a trial. Currently use the excellent Calypso :D

Well... I found one site that Phoenix doesn't get along with... ESPN.comYesterday, the survey was missing, and today the navigation tabs (supposed to be on the left) are on top of the content on the right side of the page... very weird

I love the tabbed browser - no more taskbar packed full of IE windows. I didnt think I would like it at first but after using it a couple of days I dont like to use anything but the tabs - everything in one window - so sweet

Well...  I found one site that Phoenix doesn't get along with...  ESPN.comYesterday, the survey was missing, and today the navigation tabs (supposed to be on the left) are on top of the content on the right side of the page...  very weird
You got that right....ESPN and Phoenix...er Firebird....er, whatever comes next, does not get along well at all. I finally gave up.