Is spying the correct word for Education version of Chromebook?

crp

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, there doesn't seem (according to the article above) a means to opt out. That would mean that you didn't have a choice in where you data was going or how it was being used, so...

Yes, in my opinion, that should still be considered non-consenting. Sadly, this will always continue to be an issue with Internet services, applications, and some operating systems (MS Windows) because it is a way to make a $. And, as we all know, making a $ is the Prime Directive of ALL companies, businesses, etc. Your only means of protesting this practice is to not be a part of it.

• Like 2

securitybreach

Well Microsoft has been doing the same thing for years now. It may not be right but it is a part of life now. No matter if you cell phone is android, windows or apple; you are being spied upon and your data is being sold.

• Like 2

I've done my best to stay out of it by trying not to use Google (although sometimes their search is the best solution), never having a Facebook account, not using MS products, no smart phone (don't really need/can't really afford one, so it isn't much of a sacrifice). Even so, I'm sure there's a lot of info floating around out there about me, but since I block all ads except on sites I really want to support, at least the companies don't profit much from it.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well you have to remember that it is not only technology companies that sell your data. If you use a discount card/loyalty card at your grocery store, they are tracking your purchases. Cell phone towers track your movement whether you have a smartphone or not. Automatic license plate readers and toll passes are tracking your movement. CCTVs that are everywhere in the city are tracking you. Any social network that you are a part of, sells your data. Search engines, cookies, email, etc. are all tracking you as well. If you browse the web without a VPN, your browsing habits are tracked and sold as well.

• Like 2

I've often wondered what the only store where I use a loyalty card thinks of me--all I buy there is cat litter, paper products, occasional dairy products, and cleaning supplies. Most of my purchases are from stores that don't use cards. But you're right, of course, there are many ways we're all being tracked.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

HA! I only use one of those silly cards at the grocery store where I shop. They must figure I'm a pretty boring person... bagged salad mix, dressings, chicken breasts, pork tenderloins, hamburger, pork rinds, almonds, peanuts, cheddar and swiss cheese, eggs, butter, Splenda sweetener, Kool-Aid packets, coffee, tea, occasional condiments, frozen cauliflower, occasional cat food, ciggs, and meds.

• Like 2

Hedon James

HA! I only use one of those silly cards at the grocery store where I shop. They must figure I'm a pretty boring person... bagged salad mix, dressings, chicken breasts, pork tenderloins, hamburger, pork rinds, almonds, peanuts, cheddar and swiss cheese, eggs, butter, Splenda sweetener, Kool-Aid packets, coffee, tea, occasional condiments, frozen cauliflower, occasional cat food, ciggs, and meds.

Every once in awhile, just to make it interesting for them, you should purchase heavy duty trash bags, duct tape, kitchen knives, rubber gloves, bleach, and a case of super-absorbent paper towels.....all at once!

• Like 4

securitybreach

Every once in awhile, just to make it interesting for them, you should purchase heavy duty trash bags, duct tape, kitchen knives, rubber gloves, bleach, and a case of super-absorbent paper towels.....all at once!

Right :hysterical:

Hedon James

HAHAHA! That'll send up some balloon warnings. ;)

And don't forget to ask if you can pay in cash....cuz you don't want to swipe your card for that transaction?! LOL!

• Like 2

i use Safeway, and glad to do so. Saves me a couple of hundred dollars a year. your shopping is eclectic compared to mine:

bread, potatoes, yams, soda, yogurt, milk, butter, grape juice, tuna fish. occasional cookie , popcorn.

I go to Grocery Outlet a lot but don't have a loyalty setup with them.

• Like 1

bagged salad mix, Splenda sweetener, frozen cauliflower,

You have some serious dietary issues going on there.

On the other side of the argument are responsible experts who say that Splenda is unsafe — the latest in a succession of artificial sweeteners that claim at first to be healthy, only later to be proven to be full of side effects. These authorities say that Splenda has more in common with DDT than with food.

The FDA has no definition for “natural,” so please bear with us for a biochemistry moment. Splenda is the trade name for sucralose, a synthetic compound stumbled upon in 1976 by scientists in Britain seeking a new pesticide formulation. It is true that the Splenda molecule is comprised of sucrose (sugar) — except that three of the hydroxyl groups in the molecule have been replaced by three chlorine atoms.

https://www.womentowomen.com/healthy-weight/sugar-substitutes-and-the-potential-danger-of-splenda/

An I can not think of anything worse than frozen cauliflower :thudna5:

As to the Q.

Pre internet such actions would have been considered spying and not acceptable. However we live in a different world and spying and intrusion into private lives is now normal. Hitler and the KGB etc etc would have been proud of the way we are running the world now. DOWN with FREEDOM. LONG LIVE the STATE. :whistling:

• Like 2