Fedora 25 Workstation Revisited

mhbell

Fedora 25 Workstation Revisited

Like the title says, I’ve Revisited Fedora 25. I have become a little disgruntled with Mint 18.1 as Clem has still not fixed the installer Bug. I down loaded the latest 18.1 and the bug is still there and a Pita for new installs on EFI / Gpt partitions. LM has been my main distro for years, but it seems the latest has a installer problem that has not been fixed since the latest 18.1 release. So I’ve been trying out several Distro’s just to see if there might be a better one for me. So far I always go back to LM.

Today I decided to give Fedora 25 with the Cinnamon desktop a try on one of my SSD Disks. I am happy to say so far it is rock solid and stable, although the install took me awhile to figure out and get it installed. After the install, I found a much improved package manager called YUMEX and I have to say it works great so far. I have never really cared for RPM package management. But have to say this is a big improvement over the old system that fedora use to have. I understand that the next version 26, which is in Alpha right now, will be even better. I still Like the APT package system, and it is hard to beat. Will give Fedora a try for awhile and see how it goes. I may try it with the LXDE as I really like LXDE as well as Cinnamon too. I may pay a visit to Suse Tumbleweed again. Then there is Manjaro now in 3rd place. Lots of choices.

Mel

• Like 2

I remember trying out Fedora some years ago. If I recall correctly it was a little tricky to set up with codecs for MP3s and playing DVDs. But one really good thing was that it was able to configure Network Mangler to deal with WPA encryption at a time when you had to configure wpa-supplicant manually in Ubuntu.

I still preferred Mandriva for an RPM based distro because Mandriva included most of the codecs out of the box.

I have not experienced the Linux Mint installer bug since I am still using the old school BIOS and MBR on my machines.

Screenshot%20from%202017-04-19%2019-05-11_zpstknfte0q.png

Installed Fedora 25 in VirtualBox. It's similar to Debian in that you have to insert the CD image for the guest additions, make sure you have the development source and essentials to build the additions. After that it went smoothly enough. It is a bit geekier than Mageia where the guest additions are right there when you boot up.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Fedora was always and outstanding distro, but for RPM-based distros, I always preferred CentOS. :)

Fedora was always and outstanding distro, but for RPM-based distros, I always preferred CentOS. :)

well now you can use Yum Extender powered by DNF which automates most software installs. No more having to use RPM from the CLI or URPMI. :devil:
  • Like 1

Yep DNF works good from the CLI. I used it to update / upgrade, 500 plus MB. The only thing I've not been able to figure out is a auto background rotator. I use Variety in everything else to change my backgounds at certain intervals. But variety for Fedora has been removed by the author.

myfedorascreen.jpg

Edited by mhbell
  • Like 1