Mac Mini coming soon!

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Well, since the iMac has died, I have the greatest pleasure in announcing that I will be receiving a Mac Mini as a Christmas gift!So I will be able to add a Mac to my desk soon! :thumbsup:Not sure when it will get here but wanted to start the thread and will continue it when it gets here.Very excited about getting it and finally getting to not only try out a Mac but to actually own a Mac that works! :P

Guest LilBambi
;) I am very excited about getting it!Will feel great to work on a different OS and hardware. I think it will also provide desired experience on Mac OS X so I can help clients who have Macs more effectively.And in time, I may even be able to answer some questions instead of just asking them here in ATM. ;)Here's the specs:1.42GHz PowerPC G41GB RAMATI Radeon 9200 w/32MB DDR video RAM80GB Ultra ATA hard driveCombo Drive*Bluetooth plus Airport56k v.92 modem2 USB ports1 firewire portDVI video (w/DVI-to-VGA adapter)100Mbps EthernetComes with Mac OS X 10.3x Panther* Combo Drive is a term used to describe a device capable of reading DVDs and reading and writing CDs. Many Macs have included Combo Drives over the last few years, although they are slowly being superseded by SuperDrives, which can do everything a Combo Drive can do as well as write DVDs.from Mac Guides: http://guides.macrumors.com/Combo_Drive I had to look that up LOL!

Guest LilBambi

Speaking of questions ... the USB mouse and keyboard from the old iMac should work fine on the Mac Mini, right?The clear teal/black iMac USB keyboard has the USB mouse port on the right side of the keyboard.

Speaking of questions ... the USB mouse and keyboard from the old iMac should work fine on the Mac Mini, right?The clear teal/black iMac USB keyboard has the USB mouse port on the right side of the keyboard.
That's the joy of the MacMini. You can use any keyboard and mouse as well as monitor with it. Have fun playing with it. I suppose you don't get to open it until Christmas? I see you have already learned about the type of drives. It doesn't take long. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

:thumbsup:Glad to hear that. Was thinking I would like to use a multi-button USB mouse and plug it into the USB port on the Mac USB keyboard ... it's just a standard USB port right?

Hey LilBambi Congrats on the New MiniIt has been a very long time since I posted here on SNF. After reading Scots experience with his Mac Switch I decided to come back and check things out again. It feels good to be back.

Guest LilBambi

Hi Inform! Great to see you again!Thanks for the congrats on the Mac Mini ... can't wait to get it. Have no idea when it will get here but I am very excited about getting it.I have been working on scenarios for my desktop.Currently I have:PIII 600mhz w/256MB RAM Fedora Core 5 on an LCD monitor with separate keyboard and mouse from my other computer that has Win2K and Ubuntu Edgy on it. The Win2K/Ubuntu computer is AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 512MB RAM and 19" CRT monitor and separate keyboard and mouse.I have an older two port (PS2 mouse/keyboard/video) KVM which doesn't even start to address my USB mice (standard USB on the AMD 64 and USB mouse using USB/PS2 adapter on the PIII) or my USB keyboards (both computers).Adam suggested I use the KVM for monitor only and use separate USB keyboard and mouse for the new Mac Mini and I think that's likely the best option in my case because I have the old Teal iMac (that died) USB keyboard/mouse and want to use the 19" CRT monitor for the Mac.All of this is of course total speculation at this point until I get the Mac Mini here and see what works and what doesn't, if anything. Sounds like the Mac Mini is pretty flexible and I have a place on the desk with the 19" CRT monitor to put the Mac Mini and associated keyboard and mouse.Can you tell I am a bit excited about this? :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

There be MAC here!!! :thumbsup:I am posting from Safari right now!All I can say is WOW, it's great! And soooooo easy!:thumbsup:Even saw and connected to our Dendron Wireless right out of the box! (course I had to wait for it to time out so I could finish and then sign into our Dendron Wireless network, but it connected right out of the box.Now, for the first thing .... how do I change the resolution? It's at 800x600 and I would like to go higher if possible?

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, so easy! Found it right after I posted that. B) Also got new background and screensaver too and tried out the Email program with GMail (it's OK but I want Thunderbird because it won't let me do full Plain Text on incoming email in the Mail program.Downloaded Firefox 2.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 for the Mac and Opera 9.10 for the Mac and my password program port for the Mac.Will install those very soon ... just have to get them off my laptop onto my pen drive and (if it can see a FAT32 pen drive I will have no problems copying them, then I have to figure out how you install dmg packages).....anyone have any insight on that?Coming right along though!hmmm, double posted somehow....fixie now.

Will install those very soon ... just have to get them off my laptop onto my pen drive and (if it can see a FAT32 pen drive I will have no problems copying them, then I have to figure out how you install dmg packages).....anyone have any insight on that?
I transfer files between my Mac and PC using a flash drive that's FAT32, so you should have no problems there. If I understand your dmg package question, they'll usually end up on your desktop and you can double click on them to open. That will place a disk icon on your desktop. You can open that and install from there. If the program has an installer, you'll want to use it. If not, you just drag the program file to where ever you want, usually Applications. Once it's installed, control click on the disk icon and select eject.

Guest LilBambi

bjf123, thanks! That should make it rather easy! :thumbsup:Will let you know how it goes when I get the items from the pen drive. Will do that later or in the morning.

Guest LilBambi

Well, I have been having fun. I have installed Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 1.5.0.9, Opera 9.10 and my password manager and imported my bookmarks, and password manager files.Still need to copy my TB profile but will have to zip that up and write to CD cuz it's too big for my 128MB USB thumb drive (which by the way worked great for copying files between the operating systems).I also figured out how to use Grab to get a screenshot but it's only .tiff so I downloaded SnapNDrag (freeware version) to see how that does and I am liking it quite abit. I have done a screen shot below of the Mac Mini desktop:http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilbambi01/By the way, what's the shortcut key for paste? Is there one? I keep trying to use Control V like in Windows and Linux...but it's not working. :whistling:It's not much different from my Win2K and Linux desktops as far as background goes, but I love the Lady Bugs!

By the way, what's the shortcut key for paste? Is there one? I keep trying to use Control V like in Windows and Linux...but it's not working. :)
Instead of Control, use the Apple (Cmd) key. Cmd C, Cmd V, and Cmd X work just like Ctrl C, Ctrl V, and Ctrl X.I'm at work, so I don't have my Mac in front of me to verify this, but I think you can get a screen shot by hitting Cmd-Shift-3. Cmd-Shift-4 will bring up a cross hair that you can use to highlight the area you want to capture. Cmd-Shift-4-spacebar will capture the active application window. In each case, the image is saved to your desktop as a png file (I think).

Guest LilBambi

Excellent and Thanks!I have an interesting situation due to using a Kensington Pilot Board Wireless Desktop (Mac and PC compatible) via a IOGear 2-Port USB KVM Switch (with sound).The keys all work right in Windows, but I seem to be having some trouble with some of the standard Mac Command and Option Keys and the Home and End keys. I will look over the PDF and read Dave's site to see where I might be missing something or if it's my particular Keyboard/Mouse setup that's causing that. Thankfully there are right click (very familiar LOL!) equivalents for much of it.

Guest LilBambi

Despite the learning curve, this has been likely the easiest transition between OSes ever.Only Ubuntu so far comes even close among the Linux distros I have tried.I had the same joy of learning in Ubuntu as so far with the Mac. But I had no problems with hardware with Ubuntu so that's likely why.But everything just works out of the box with the Mac. So that edges it over the top of the easiest OS to get used to as a first time user who has some UNIX like experience and many years in Windows and DOS before that.The Mac is just a dream to use.I can't say enough good about OS X Tiger. And I know there is some DRM, but it doesn't get in your way or prevent you from doing things either -- at least so far. It doesn't appear to be intrusive even though I am sure it is in some ways. I have the firewall on and don't do any sharing on the computer. I am going to look into Little Snitch too.

Guest LilBambi

let's see if this works...let's see if this works...yep!Got it! It was the 'Windows' key that equates to the Command Key % (not the CTRL key like I thought). The alt key has the apple emblem and it's the Option key.Yea!

Guest LilBambi

Am hoping not to need it. It is working now with Command and Option now that I know what ones it is.The Mac Mini knew exactly what Keyboard and Mouse I am using so I don't think that was it. I think it was just me. B)

Guest LilBambi

Got my Thunderbird Profile copied over and set up in the Mac. Works nicely once you realize that the instructions they give for copying your profile don't work as expected.I just used the same method I used in Linux. Opened up the prefs.js after allowing Thunderbird to start to create a profile which deposits a numbered/letter.default profile and then change the location for the actual file paths to correlate to what the Mac wants:~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/profile.name/And also copy all the dirs for the profile and mail, and most files (I left any of my extensions out and will see what works in the Mac before installing them since I don't make use of many in Thunderbird anyway) into the newly created profile structure.They tell you not to edit that 'auto-generated' prefs.js, but if you don't it just doesn't work. At least it didn't for my nearly 2G profile.Then it was just a matter of going to each of my nearly 50 folders and at least 5-20 subfolders under about 20 of those folders. I have the same profile I have had since I started using Thunderbird in Windows, Linux and now Mac.Pretty cool but it took me some time to figure out that I just needed to do what I did in Linux. LOL!

Got my Thunderbird Profile copied over and set up in the Mac. Works nicely once you realize that the instructions they give for copying your profile don't work as expected.I just used the same method I used in Linux. Opened up the prefs.js after allowing Thunderbird to start to create a profile which deposits a numbered/letter.default profile and then change the location for the actual file paths to correlate to what the Mac wants:~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/profile.name/And also copy all the dirs for the profile and mail, and most files (I left any of my extensions out and will see what works in the Mac before installing them since I don't make use of many in Thunderbird anyway) into the newly created profile structure.They tell you not to edit that 'auto-generated' prefs.js, but if you don't it just doesn't work. At least it didn't for my nearly 2G profile.Then it was just a matter of going to each of my nearly 50 folders and at least 5-20 subfolders under about 20 of those folders. I have the same profile I have had since I started using Thunderbird in Windows, Linux and now Mac.Pretty cool but it took me some time to figure out that I just needed to do what I did in Linux. LOL!
I'm late to congratulate you on the new Mac. I know you will quickly master it with all the great Mac users there to help. I'm still stumbling along with XP and Kubuntu. I bought a Ubuntu book and finally learning a lot by READING the manual.