Networking with Linux

Jeber

Not only have I bookmarked the first one, but I think I will have to print it out. I have one similar to the second virtually memorized but this is worth some detailed study as well. The last looks like an excellent reference.Thank you very much for sharing these finds. :worthy: ;) :worthy:

nlinecomputers

On that first link. Is this only an issue with D-Link cards or was I just lucky. I've got Linksys cards that both are plug in play in Mandrake 10.1 on my laptop. Worked on first install once I downloaded all the patches. (The network worked without the patches but KDE didn't so I couldn't use MCC to configure it. Once KDE was patched it has worked flawlessly. Best running distro on my Satan HP laptop.)

nlinecomputers, which Linksys card did you get that worked with Mandrake? I have a Orinoco PCMCIA card that has Linux drivers for my laptop, but I'm still trying to find a PCI NIC that I can use in the desktop. You were lucky, I suspect. :) D-Link only has a few products that come with Linux drivers, and they aren't very forthcoming with enough code to allow the community to develop open source ones.I also meant to mention that O'Reilly books has come out with "Linux Unwired", a great reference for those of us trying to go wireless in Linux. :w00t: :devil:

nlinecomputers

Jeber,This is a laptop and I have two Linksys cards one has a prisim chipset one orinoco. Both work just fine. I am trying to get WPA to work on them but I haven't had time to hunt down the firmware needed to flash them both upto the versions that support that.

I have found success. I am connected to the Internet from my laptop with the wireless connection in Drake. I have no idea whether it is working with my USB or my internal card. I suspect it is my internal. I played with a connection labeled "firewire" and "IVp4 over ...." and then went to test connection and I was running. That has me baffled. Perhaps it is the internal. Anyway, it works. :thumbsup:

i was thinking of makin a thread about networking but now i am gona try to do with the help of those three sites, and if i fail to do something which i know i will, lol, then i will start a new thread about networking or i am just gona steal ur thread, hope u dont mind Jeber!!! ;) :D