can't access the internet

damonroad

I have a fairly new dell desktop with Windows 7 that is connected directly to a wireless router. Two lap tops are wirelessly connected, and another desktop is directly connected to the wireless router. The last three connect to the internet throught this router without any problem. With the new desktop however I cannot access any webpage, either through IE9 or Firefox. It would appear that it is not the router but some setting on the new desktop. Two of the pcs run Windows 7, one runs Vista and one runs XP. I have ZoneAlarm running but IE9 is a "trusted program." I have the ZA firewall enabled at a medium level. I have disabled the Windows firewall. I also have Avast antivirus and SuperAntispyware. All of these programs have been running on my computer since the beginning and only lately have I had a problem. I can't identify any change that I made to the pc at the time the problem started. Any help appreciated. Bob Operating System: Windows 7

When you say it's "connected directly" do you mean "attached by an RJ45 cable"? Some wireless routers have those ports off by default. It's a simple matter to switch them back on again, but it needs to be done through the router's config screen.

When you say it's "connected directly" do you mean "attached by an RJ45 cable"? Some wireless routers have those ports off by default. It's a simple matter to switch them back on again, but it needs to be done through the router's config screen.

Thank you. That is what I meant. I have tried all of the ports on the router and the results are the same. I have also connected the new pc by cable to the same port that I used to connect an old pc to the same port. It worked for the old pc but not for the new pc. Hereis some additional information. I hope it helps.I tried System Restore several times and on each try it said something to the effect that it was unable to finish and had made no changes (no reason given).I am comfortable that the cable and the router are both okay. The LEDs all seem to be okay. Device Manager doesn't indicate any problem. BUTipconfig indicates what I would expect to see except for the following: 1) under the heading of Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection, the line Connection-specific DNS Suffice: is blank; 2) under the heading of Tunnel adapter isatap, the line "Media State" says "Media disconnected" and the line below that (Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank; 3)under the heading Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection*9, the lines Media State shows "media disconnected" and the line Connection-specific DNS suffix is blank; and 4) under the heading Tunnel adapter Toredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, the line "Default Gateway" sows just two colons. When I went into the Network and Sharing, it showed the new pc (and one printer attached by cable to the new pc) as the only components of the network, that is none of the other of the pcs appeared. I have Network Magic on all pcs. It shows all four pcs as part of the network and the network connected to the internet. <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I hope that this helps. Thank you for your help. Bob .

I am comfortable that the cable and the router are both okay. The LEDs all seem to be okay. Device Manager doesn't indicate any problem. BUTipconfig indicates what I would expect to see except for the following: 1) under the heading of Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection, the line Connection-specific DNS Suffice: is blank
OK, maybe I'm wrong, but that output really does make me think that your ethernet ports are shut off by software. My router doesn't have this "feature" so I can't guide you through disabling it. It's recognizing all four computers, but it's not letting the one on the ethernet through. It occurs to me that this can be tested by running the ethernet cable to a computer which has a known good connection to the net...If it works that way, it's also possible that the ethernet port is disabled in the BIOS.Hope some of this helps!

Hello,It almost sounds like the cable isn't fully plugged in. If you take a look at the Ethernet ports on both the PC and the router, do they light up when the cable is plugged in between them? Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried the cable from the XP machine to the router and accessed the internet without a problem. I removed the jack from the XP machine and plugged into the new pc, heard the snap, pretty sure it was well connected. I still couldn't get on the internet. I have since noticed something else unusual. The new pc, homeGroup, indicates that it connected to "network 3" while all of the other pcs are connected to a network with a different name. I tried to "connect to a new network" but it siad that I was already connected to network 3 and wouldn't let me go forward. The network map shows the new pc connected to a big question mark which is then connected to the router. It looks as though three of the pcs are on one network, the new one on another which isn't connected to the internet despite all of the indications that it is. How can I eliminate network 3 and force the new pc to look for and find the other network? Also on the new pc, I tried network discovery and it didn't find the other network. Any help gratefully received.

Well we've determined that the router is OK, so that's a good start. I liked your idea of connecting to a new account, so let's follow that path a bit further. Turn the computer off and unplug the network cable. Then reboot the computer with the network cable unplugged and let it settle down. Then try to connect to a new network and, once that gets underway, THEN plug the network cable back in. It should pick it right up.And do be certain that the Ethernet is enabled in the BIOS, but since it seems to be connected to a non-existent network, I'd say it probably is enabled.Best of luck!

amenditman

I'd try going into the Network Connections, don't know what they call them in W7 off hand but you access them by right clicking the network icon in the system tray and choosing open network connections or something that means that. They keep changing what each thing is called in different versions of W, but they don't actually change much.Once there, disable the Network 3, unplug the ethernet and reboot. Then follow ChipDoc's suggestion to create a new one. It probably says Network 3 because two others were set up before this one. Just numbered in order of creation in the software. A new connection will probably be called Network 4 by default.

Thank you both. I'll try your suggestions when I get home tonight. I am beginning to feel confidence that I will get this fixed with your help. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

We were all new to this once and lots of people helped us when we needed it. They still do, come to think of it! So we're just trying to pay it back in our turn. Welcome to the forum, Damon! :thumbsup:Or should I say welcome BACK to the forum! ;)