Upgrade **** !!!!!

abarbarian

So what do I do.

I have a AM2 mobo and DDR2 ram with a AM3 cpu that will not allow me to play Skyrim at max graphics.(an some newer games)

Do I,

Spend £190 on a AM3+ mobo and DDR3 ram, which will let me play Skyrim at max but will not be very good for a lot of the latest games and certainly not great for the future.

Spend £450 ish on an i5 4690k cpu and mobo and DDR3 ram which will play all games maxed out but may struggle with future games.

Save me loot an suck me thumb and wait for the new Intel Skylake offerings which will I assume be more expensive than the options above and may or may not be better value.

What to do ??

An aside,

If I holidayed in the USA would I be able to bring back pc components in me hand luggage and avoid paying taxes, as pc parts are cheaper in the states ??

:hmm:

Sorry about the asterisks in the title I forgot about the forum rules. :>

I suppose as a last resort I could abandon the pc, get a life and start to meet real folk and do real stuff. :Laughing:

Edited by abarbarian

So what do I do.

I have a AM2 mobo and DDR2 ram with a AM3 cpu that will not allow me to play Skyrim at max graphics.(an some newer games)

Do I,

Spend £190 on a AM3+ mobo and DDR3 ram, which will let me play Skyrim at max but will not be very good for a lot of the latest games and certainly not great for the future.

Spend £450 ish on an i5 4690k cpu and mobo and DDR3 ram which will play all games maxed out but may struggle with future games.

Save me loot an suck me thumb and wait for the new Intel Skylake offerings which will I assume be more expensive than the options above and may or may not be better value.

What to do ??

An aside,

If I holidayed in the USA would I be able to bring back pc components in me hand luggage and avoid paying taxes, as pc parts are cheaper in the states ??

I suppose as a last resort I could abandon the pc, get a life and start to meet real folk and do real stuff. :Laughing:

f games are that important to you, why don't you spend the money on a gaming machine instead of new PC, and keep your old PC for everything else. From what I understand, you'd have to spend more on just a video card for "real gaming" on a PC than you would for a new Xbox One.

So what do I do.

Do I,

What to do ??

An aside,

f games are that important to you, why don't you spend the money on a gaming machine instead of new PC, and keep your old PC for everything else. From what I understand, you'd have to spend more on just a video card for "real gaming" on a PC than you would for a new Xbox One.

Well whilst you can play games sort of on a XBox it ain't really gaming.

I have a good psu and cpu cooler along with a couple of decent gfx cards an a sort of case so I really only need the items described in the op. Problem is which way to go. :228823:

securitybreach

You would be better off saving up a new motherboard (around 150 for intel or amd based), save up for the cpu (i5 for about $230 and AMD offering for like $120), start with 4-12gb of ddr3 ram depending on how much you want to spend (can get a set of 16gb ram for like $120) and then save up about $230+ for a decent video card.

I always buy my video cards either 2 or 3 generations old as the price drops significantly and their equal in graphics to the brand new ones. This can save you from spending $600 on a new graphics card to spending $230 on one.

In my experience AMD is better at handing multiple monitors and gaming than nvidia is. Usually high end Nvidia cards do not support multiple monitors very well but have great graphics. If your like me and need both, AMD is the way to go.

You would be better off saving up a new motherboard (around 150 for intel or amd based), save up for the cpu (i5 for about $230 and AMD offering for like $120), start with 4-12gb of ddr3 ram depending on how much you want to spend (can get a set of 16gb ram for like $120) and then save up about $230+ for a decent video card.

I always buy my video cards either 2 or 3 generations old as the price drops significantly and their equal in graphics to the brand new ones. This can save you from spending $600 on a new graphics card to spending $230 on one.

In my experience AMD is better at handing multiple monitors and gaming than nvidia is. Usually high end Nvidia cards do not support multiple monitors very well but have great graphics. If your like me and need both, AMD is the way to go.

Ta, I outlined me options before.

What to do ??

The big Q is which way do I go.

I already have a pair of GTX 460's which coupled with the right cpu and mobo should let me play Skyrim maxed out and most of the games I have. I can always upgrade the gfx at some future time. :breakfast:

Spend the $450 on cpu, motherboard and ram

Do you mean , get the Intel set up ? If so that would be £450 = 701.60 USD an would it be good value as opposed to the coming Skylake from Intel ?

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Huh? I paid $237 for my current i5 and I can play any game on max settings with a XFX ATI 7970. Personally I would probably go with an AMD setup as it is far cheaper than an intel setup.

Next time I have some money, I will probably be getting this AMD A10 12 core cpu and this MSI DDR3 2400 A88XM motherboard for $252. Pair those with some ram and a nice gpu, you would be able to play any game at max settings.

With the amount of highend hardware you guys have ,I'm surprised you aren't running NASA and EuroSpace in your spare time

PS. toolbars on the post box not working .

securitybreach

With the amount of highend hardware you guys have ,I'm surprised you aren't running NASA and EuroSpace in your spare time

PS. toolbars on the post box not working .

Eh, not really B)

BTW the toolbar shows up here..

Hello,

You should have no trouble buying stuff overseas and returning home with it. Small items like CPUs, drives and memory can be unboxed (but still kept in their protective mylar or plastic) and taken aboard in carry-on luggage, while larger items (motherboards, video cards, etc.) can placed in the center of the luggage surrounded by clothes (free packing material!) and put in checked baggage. Or carried, I suppose, if they aren't too big and you have a backpack or carry-on bag that will fit them.

I would recommend against carrying heavy and/or delicate items like heat sinks or power supplies this way, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

I decide to wait of for a few weeks before making any decision about an upgrade to my system due to the upcoming Skylake from Intel.

Unfortunately for me I caught the spending bug and became mesmerised by the false glitter of latest hi-tech and bought one of these,

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/raijintek-triton-aio-water-cooling-solution-240mm-radiator-for-intel-and-amd.html

Here are a few reviews,

http://www.modders-inc.com/raijintek-triton-review-a-bold-alternative/

http://www.overclockerstech.com/raijintek-triton-aio-water-cooling-kit-review/

http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/reviews/cpu-coolers/raijintek-triton-cpu-cooler-review/

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/raijintek_triton_review/1

I'll post a review when it arrives. :breakfast: