Out-of-band Critical Security Update

Corrine

This update just gave me fits on a win7 laptop. Hung at the "Preparing to Configure Windows Update . . . Don't turn off . . ." for 10 minutes. So I crossed my fingers and turned it off anyway. After I powered up again I got a quick, strange message that step 427 of 427 which was some kind of registry entry update was running and then it displayed the normal log in screen. User account started normally and I checked and found that windows felt the update had installed successfully. Shut down again and this time logged in as admin--everything seemed okay. Whew! Never had that happen before.

Edited by ebrke

thanks for the info, corrine, will use that info at work!

ebrke, perhaps that is why mine hung too. it stopped at 15% and i had to use the power button to turn it off.

Mine didn't even show that it got that far--no progress percent shown at all, just the preparing message. I figured that I had no option, even though it tells you not to power off. What amazes me is that the update appears to have installed successfully when I check the status under installed updates.