I guess I blew it

zlim

I got cable access earlier this month and now am setting up a network. I have the linksys WRT54G connected by ethernet to my desktop (2K) and that works fine. Earlier today I installed the WPC54G in my notebook. Now the trouble starts. The nb connects to the AP and that's it (100% in both areas). I spent several hours reading through and tweaking things to try and get the nb on the internet but it refuses. I even dialup to the internet, I connect but Firefox and IE can't find any sites. So I removed the wireless card software and I still have the same problem - no internet access on dialup from the nb.(Windows ME, not sure if I have any restore points because I've never used them). Maybe I'll try that first.Remember when you give any help, you are speaking to a networking idiot here.(I also have WEP 128 bit enabled on both, same name and password on each, I changed the SSID and they are both using the same channel). I don't want file and print sharing, I just want to be able to surf on the nb using my broadband access. I'm pretty sure I turned off any sharing in services because I don't share things across computers.

nlinecomputers

On that subject are you certain that you are using the same WEP password? Different products may produce different keys based on the password you type so it's best to copy the whole criptic key and not just generate such a key based on your password.I'd disable the wep features until you connect and then and only then create a password key. I copy the key to a notepad file and put in on a floppy or a usb keyfob and then copy it back on the laptop.

Let's hear it for ME and a successful restore point <_< I'm on the nb and on dialup.Yes wireless is enabled and is broadcasting the signal (it took me awhile to figure out that I had to do that).I'm sure there is something in the settings to get on the internet that I'm not doing.I can also get on the internet from the desktop with the router connected to the cable modem so I did that part of the setup okay.

Is DHCP enabled on the router?
I'll need to check on that.I can access the admin page when I type in http://and the address of the router on the desktop to change or check on settings. I also bought linksys products all the way around just to be certain that they would play nice together. I know different products encrypt differently. I use a passphrase to generate the key and the passphrase IS the same on both computers. I will study the key generated just to be doubly certain it is EXACTLY the same.I read and printed out the first link but this has me scratching my head
Disable all software Firewalls (including Windows ICF) Active Antivirus program or and any other TCP/IP interceptor...
What is a TCP/IP interceptor? I'll try and disable if I can figure out what in the world it is.As a safeguard, I will turn off WEP on the router and when I re-install the card to see if I can get it to go on the internet. If not, there is always the option to uninstall and roll back!Keep the ideas coming - I need to have a bag of tricks before I'm ready to tackle this again. Thanks.

TCP/IP interceptor is probably some jargon term that includes firewalls. Anyway, when you are connecting the notebook to the network via the AP, can you go to a command line and type:

netstat -r

to print your routing table. Also, provide us with the output of

ipconfig /all

from the command line. I'd be curious to see your network details.

Right off, I see a major problem with the 127 address. image removed.I'm going round and round with the user manual and the configure utility. They are showing a window Network settings - which I do not get to come up. I was on the linksys page yesterday and I may have to go to the run command and input the specific DNS (not sure if I use the router or the cable modem as the gateway). The more I read, the more I realize that I don't know what I'm doing.Also, as soon as I installed the software and the card on the nb, dialup no longer works again. I can get on the internet but I can't surf anywhere and I've no idea why because I didn't change any settings. I won't be keeping the card in the nb all the time so I do need the dialup ability when I travel with the nb. image removed

Looks like your notebook isn't picking up an IP address from your router. Go into the router's setup page and check to see if you have DHCP turned on. Otherwise, set the notebook's wireless interface to a static IP address that is part of your local network.

Go into the router's setup page and check to see if you have DHCP turned on.
Thanks. I did check that after Ross asked me about it and it is/was turned on so I'm not sure why the nb isn't picking up an IP. Since I'm not getting the page for the Network settings on the nb (I wonder if the software or the card is flacky?), I'll go in another way. (like I was doing yesterday from the FAQs on the linksys page).image removedI still can't connect to any site even on dialup. I'm ready to quit for tonight because I'm as far as I was yesterday - no internet access by card or dialup.

Go into the router's setup page and check to see if you have DHCP turned on.
Thanks. I did check that after Ross asked me about it and it is/was turned on so I'm not sure why the nb isn't picking up an IP. Since I'm not getting the page for the Network settings on the nb (I wonder if the software or the card is flacky?), I'll go in another way. (like I was doing yesterday from the FAQs on the linksys page)....latest shot netstat2.jpgI still can't connect to any site even on dialup. I'm ready to quit for tonight because I'm as far as I was yesterday - no internet access by card or dialup.
Liz,The last screen shot looks like you have an IP address. Is this still DHCP or did you put in static one? If DHCP, can you also do a
ipconfig /all

to see what the DNS servers are? The router should feed the notebook your ISP's DNS servers.

I assume you may have tried this already, but it might help to flush the ip config ( ipconfig /release_all) and the reboot you NB. It might be tripping up on your old IP stuff (dial-up). Also, sometimes it pays to go through the internet connection wizard as it seems to straighten out some connection settings. Change over to LAN connection instead of Dial-up in the wizard.

I guess I'm ready to tackle this for the third day ;) This is what I did (from the directions on the linksys page for people who couldn't get on the internet)1. On the nb I ran control netcpl.cpl (the software refuses to show me the page where I can turn auto detect DHCP off and on)2. opened TCP/IP for the card, clicked properties and on the DNS tab, I changed from auto to specific and typed in 192.168.1.101 (I selected this because the router's address is 192.168.1.1 and somewhere a default is listed as starting at 192.168.1.100 ) and subnet mask 255.255.255.03. On the gateway tab I put in 192.168.1.1 (site told me to use this)4. back to the DNS tab again and under host name I typed computer and for DNS server search put in 192.168.1.1 and clicked addTruthfully, I'm following whatever written instructions I find. I don't have a grasp of what I'm doing. I haven't looked at the connection wizard because this broadband stuff is new and I've never networked anything together. I may try what you said AWC-GOTL and if all settings are lost, I'll just re-do steps 1 to 4 above.Peachy, I do know what my ISP (Comcast's DNS addresses are) I also know the default gateway and my current IP (been this for all of June), I just haven't figured out how to get this information into any place on the nb. (I did have to manually enter this on the desktop because it wasn't showing anything except 0.0.0.0) It seems to me that if the notebook isn't picking up the settings, there should be a way to enter them into the software but I haven't seen any place to do it.

Liz,Your DNS settings are incorrect. You have to somehow get your notebook to pick up the DNS server IP addresses for your Comcast connection. Your dial-up connection should give you that when you are connected (ipconfig /all). That's what you need to set in your router's DNS settings for the DHCP section. Or, manually set it in the IP Protocol properties of your wireless card. This is the missing link!

I do know what my ISP (Comcast's DNS addresses are) I also know the default gateway and my current IP (been this for all of June), I just haven't figured out how to get this information into any place on the nb. (I did have to manually enter this on the desktop because it wasn't showing anything except 0.0.0.0)
If you're manually having to enter IP addresses for both the desktop and the nb either DHCP is not set on in the router or the router isn't working properly. You should not have to be manually entering IP addresses.

ok...I do know the DNS addresses. From the router on the Network setup page at DHCP server enable has the dot and yet in the static DNS, I had to put them in myself because all slots said 0.0.0.0.On the notebook (with the wireless card), looking at the manual on the CD and comparing the screenshots to what I'm seeing...the screen in which either get to auto enable DHCP or put in your own settings never comes up. This is what you mean

manually set it in the IP Protocol properties of your wireless card. This is the missing link!
and this is the screen that doesn't come up.And now, probably the dumbest question of all I never installed the Comcast software on my notebook. Do I need to do that? It has never been connected to the cable modem. I had so much trouble on the desktop (the software from the CD and the downloaded copy from their website refused to do a thing when I clicked on the exe file) so I called tech support and watched while he pushed the file to my computer.Just thought of another dumb question - must I also install the router software on the nb? I know most everyone knows how to do this stuff but I'm completely in the dark here. All the directions seem to assume that I already know most of this stuff and it just isn't true. :hmm: :hmm:....if I can't get the screen to come up so I can input the proper values, I'll roll back the nb again. Go over ALL settings on the desktop, then install the wireless software for the 3rd time, insert the card and see if the screen I need comes up.

FWIW, additional info - my nb (ME) doesn't have a connection wizard for a LAN only seems to be something for dialup.I put the router CD in and the first thing I read is to put it on the computer that is connected to the cable modem so that answered my question - Don't install the router software on the nb.I did ipconf /all again and my non-use ethernet port is listed but not the card (the lights are the card are on and supposedly it is talking to the router).Then I did ipconfig /release_all and rebooted.The IP it comes up with is 169.254.38.35 (I've no idea where it is getting that info and when I searched there is no info available). All Comcast IPs start with 68 for me. The DNS is listed as the router address, and the default gateway is blank. My ZA keeps popping up with things like the card and some service to access the internet. I allow and a box pops up for my dialup service.I still am unable to get a screen to come up where I can input the settings that I need.Time to roll back the nb again. :'( :'( :'(

FWIW, additional info - my nb (ME) doesn't have a connection wizard for a LAN only seems to be something for dialup.I put the router CD in and the first thing I read is to put it on the computer that is connected to the cable modem so that answered my question - Don't install the router software on the nb.I did ipconf /all again and my non-use ethernet port is listed but not the card (the lights are the card are on and supposedly it is talking to the router).Then I did  ipconfig /release_all and rebooted.The IP it comes up with is 169.254.38.35 (I've no idea where it is getting that info and when I searched there is no info available). All Comcast IPs start with 68 for me. The DNS is listed as the router address, and the default gateway is blank. My ZA keeps popping up with things like the card and some service to access the internet. I allow and a box pops up for my dialup service.I still am unable to get a screen to come up where I can input the settings that I need.Time to roll back the nb again.  :'(  :'(  :'(
The 169.254.x.x is a private network address for DHCP when no DHCP servers are available. The operating system will randomly assign the last two octets when the DHCP server is not available. If you have a network where all the hosts have that network address they will actually see each other; just not the Internet. Let's start from the beginning. You should have at least one computer that can be wired directly to the router, correct? If so, use that to connect to the router's setup page. Does your notebook also have a wired ethernet card? Why not try plugging that into the router and see if it gets an IP address. You may want to temporarily remove the wireless card while doing this. You should be able to assign an IP address to the wireless card regardless of whether your DHCP is working in the router. Assuming your router is 192.168.1.1 than give it any IP address between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 (since your DHCP scope will begin at 192.168.1.100 in the default Linksys setup). The gateway should be 192.168.1.1. The DNS servers should be your Comcast ones.

It is a fascinating phenomenon that I encountered hundreds of time. :'( People loose days and sometimes weeks sticking to the “Lame Wizardsâ€*, and or getting “One Liner†advice over the Internet, while achieving mainly Grief. :o Most of the Wizards (and what ever is on the CDs that comes with Network Hardware) assumes that your system is clean, and nothing else was used or configured before. :'( Since this assumption is rarely true the TCP/IP, and Network settings in the Registry get "Confused", and end up not working. :'( It does not take more an hour to learn "Methodically†how to configure the Network Settings and the Router manually, and make it work. (Said the VCR while keep Blinking Jan, 0, 0000, 12PM). :D ;) :D ;) :D

It does not take more an hour to learn Methodically†how to configure the Network Settings and the Router manually, and make it work.
Can you recommend a source for doing it automatically? ie using DHCP.

I want to give a hearty thanks to all your patience while sticking with this newbie on trying to understand and setup a wireless network! :rolleyes: :) :P You are tons better than trying to deal with tech support.

The 169.254.x.x is a private network address for DHCP when no DHCP servers are available. The operating system will randomly assign the last two octets when the DHCP server is not available. If you have a network where all the hosts have that network address they will actually see each other; just not the Internet.
Thanks for telling me that. I promise to try not to forget that info
You should have at least one computer that can be wired directly to the router, correct? If so, use that to connect to the router's setup page.
Yup my desktop and when I put in http://192.168.1.1 I can set up the router perfectly.
Does your notebook also have a wired ethernet card?
Yup.
Why not try plugging that into the router and see if it gets an IP address.
Must I install the Comcast software before I connect it to the router??? And do I let the desktop in it's spot on the router just use another port for the notebook? I also have rolled back the computer so it no longer has the wireless software on it nor even knows that it ever had a wireless card. Must I put any software back on the notebook before I connect it to the router?
You should be able to assign an IP address to the wireless card regardless of whether your DHCP is working in the router. Assuming your router is 192.168.1.1 than give it any IP address between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 (since your DHCP scope will begin at 192.168.1.100 in the default Linksys setup). The gateway should be 192.168.1.1. The DNS servers should be your Comcast ones.
That's where the problem comes in. I'm not sure how to give it an IP because the page in the software where I would set those items fails to show up. (At least it was missing Friday and Saturday). I've uninstalled it so when I reinstall maybe it will work.I haven't been sitting idly by all this time. Yesterday afternoon I decided to try and install the wireless card in the older Micron nb I have (running 98 - upgraded from 95). I prepared by installing InCtrl5, UnDoReg and Rbak. So I'd have 2 safety nets in case the install failed and can't roll back easily like I could on ME. I didn't want to be unable to use dialup on the old nb. Anyway I made sure I read through all of InCtrl5 so I understood the monitoring process and how UnDoReg works with it. I copied my registry with Rbak and started to install the software. It hiccuped right at the beginning and told me that I'd need a newer instance of IE to install. I'm not ready to work thru all the IE upgrades on that old machine so I stopped it. Even though it didn't install, it had already made registry changes. I was able to remove them with UnDoReg and dialup to the internet still works. Phew.I'll wait to attach the nb to the router until I understand exactly what software, if any, I need to install.

You can plug the wired network from your notebook to a different port on the router. No need to install the Comcast software. That software is only needed if you are connecting the notebook directly to the DSL modem. If you have everything working, then the notebook and desktop should see each other by pinging each other's IP address.

Thanks. I'm off to buy another ethernet cable. :DI hooked the nb to the router - at first when I clicked Firefox, the dialup popped up. I hate to close it twice but now I'm surfing on the router. What is the next step? ZA just asked if something could access the internet , I think it was SSDP.

Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) is used by Universal Plug n Play to discover upstream servers on your internet connection. Supposedly it makes it easier for Windows ME/XP to discover wireless access points and routers. Disabling it or blocking it shouldn't be an issue. We could experiment and let it go one time and block it another to see if it affects your wireless connection. Okay, next step. Remove the wired network card and put back in the wireless and see if it picks up the IP address from the router. But before you do that can you post your

netstat -r

and

ipconfig /all

output with the wired connection so we can see if the wireless will pickup the same values. While you're at, perhaps check Device Manager to see if the wireless card has working drivers installed.

Make sure DHCP is enable in the router, make sure that NO computers on the network are running routers services or ICS.Make sure teh router is in Gateway mode.

I was getting reading to post when the board went offline. I spent last night surfing but I know something isn't set correctly on the notebook because I can not update my AVG, The Cleaner, and AdAware. When I try to update, the dialer pops up and wants to dial out - almost as if the computer has no idea that I'm connected.Here are the shots you want, maybe you can tell me what I have to change while I'm wired.netstat.jpgipcfg.jpg

zlim you need to update the app's configurations to use the new network connection.And www.mercury.com can't find the images your links point to. Neither can walagata.com.

EdP, I tried to tell one of the apps that I was always connected, rather than on dialup - it replied that there were no updates when I know for a fact that there were today. (Also, I did not change any of my apps settings when I connected the desktop to the router and the same three apps update without a hiccup). Also figured out why the images don't post

If you want to post a screen shot contact a Forum Mod or Admin and they will help you get the image on a server.