• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

Our good buddy Ken Starks sent me his old phone for helping him out and such. So now I have a near mint condition Nexus  5. Woot!!!!

Specs:

Screen: 4.95" 1920 x 1080 display (445 ppi) Full HD IPS Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3
Size: 69.17 x 137.84 x 8.59mm
Weight: 4.59 ounces (130g)
Cameras: 1.3 MP front facing with 8 MP rear facing with Optical Image Stabilization
Storage: 16GB
Ram: 2GB
Processor: CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800, 2.26GHz
GPU: Adreno 330, 450MHz
LTE
Wireless: Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
NFC (Android Beam)
Bluetooth 4.0 LE
Dual microphones
Battery: 2,300 mAh non-removable battery
Standby time: up to 300 hours
Talk time: up to 17 hours
Internet use time: up to 8.5 hours on Wi-Fi; up to 7 hours on LTE
Wireless Charging built-in
USB OTG support (for external harddrive, keyboard, etc.)

(The screen is flawless besides a tiny hairline scratch only visible when the screen is off so what you see is simply dust)

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

Posted Image    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

Nice upgrade from my Nexus 4. Here are some of the differences.

1.8 ghz to 2.26 ghz processor
Camera is much better
Better screen with higher resolution (1280x800 to 1920x1080)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

Oh and I forgot to add the frame around the screenshots so here is one:

Posted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

Very nice. Thanks Ken! Josh is really great about helping people.
Nice to see it is appreciated.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

:)  Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Great phone, Josh.  Hope Ken is recovering well--the Reglue blog hasn't been updated in a while, I keep checking to see if he's posted anything recently.
EDIT:  Just checked again and see he has posted something recently but had to take it down temporarily.  I'll check back.

Edited by ebrke, 30 July 2015 - 05:46 PM.

Registered Linux User 344759

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

He seems to be doing a lot better. I'll tell him you asked about him.

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

Ken says:

I'm doing ok. Trying to adapt without the ability to speak, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. We've released an alpha for the front end for MaryTTS, But I see that you know that. You can pass that along if you want. Other than that, I'm doing ok.

#8 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 30 July 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

Ken says:

I'm doing ok. Trying to adapt without the ability to speak, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. We've released an alpha for the front end for MaryTTS, But I see that you know that. You can pass that along if you want. Other than that, I'm doing ok.
That's great to hear. I admire Ken very much and try to contribute to Reglue when I can--wish it could be more often.
Registered Linux User 344759

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,794 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

View Postebrke, on 30 July 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

View Postsecuritybreach, on 30 July 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

Ken says:

That's great to hear. I admire Ken very much and try to contribute to Reglue when I can--wish it could be more often.

I completely agree man!!!

#10 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

I still have my same old dumb phone.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

View Postebrke, on 30 July 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

Great phone, Josh.  Hope Ken is recovering well--the Reglue blog hasn't been updated in a while, I keep checking to see if he's posted anything recently.
EDIT:  Just checked again and see he has posted something recently but had to take it down temporarily.  I'll check back.
Ken is fairly active on Google+, +Ken Starks.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#12 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:43 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 30 July 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

I still have my same old dumb phone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Huh you think yours is old fashioned nobody wants my old phone at all :whistling:

Great looking new phone Josh :clap:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users