mucks installed Mandriva 2006

muckshifter

Hello all,Well I got here, no please, don't ask me how, but I think "first phase" is over. :D I like what I see and WHY you never told me about this one I don't know. :drooling: This is more like that other operating system, and looks just as easy ... and no I don't mean SuSE. ;) :D I have updated via 'Mandriva Update' ... I just ticked all the boxes and pressed next ... that's the way I work. :) I notice I'm using "Monzilla Firefox" :huh: I see that there is a difference in its configuration ... should I, is there any need, to 'upgrade/install Firefox? (the other one) I would like to see if I messed-up my 'partitions' ... 'cos I err, messed around with it. :D Took me 10mins to find out I now have to use double-click on the desktop icons. :hysterical: I am going to put a DVD in the drive now ........................ :devil: <_< o:) OK OK, I know ... well, I still think it's silly but hey! I'm an expert at installing this stuff ... when I find the right threads. :D Just so you'll know ... I am one happy chappie, this is far better than Suse and that other one. Back in a tick, got to setup the email. :thumbsup:

Well, I can at least answer the mouse question. <_< System - Configuration - KDE - Peripherals - MouseSelect single click. OK :hysterical: I'm using Firefox that came with the system. But that is a good question about updating. The only things I have added are a new theme, and adblock and tab extensions. So far it works well.Oops....I see quint beat me to it.

Edited by Rons

...for perusing your hdd/partition scheme:snapshot65gk.th.png( System > Configuration > Configure Your Computer > Mount Points > Create, delete and resize hard disk partitions )HTH. :)

Hi MucksMozilla-Firefox is the same as Firefox . . . so no need to get a second one . . :) . . . . if your DVD won't play let us know and I will tell you how to add the correct libdvdcss ( click click click )Also there might be other software you will want to install . . . . please only use the MCC ( package manager in the Mandrake Control Center ) .B) Bruno

Well, I can at least answer the mouse question. :) System - Configuration - KDE - Peripherals - MouseSelect single click. OK :) I'm using Firefox that came with the system. But that is a good question about updating. The only things I have added are a new theme, and adblock and tab extensions. So far it works well.Oops....I see quint beat me to it.
yes ... but your instructions were correct ... B) Hidden well arn't they.Again, I can't find where in Kmail you change what browser opens when you click on a link ... would rather use Firefox, but Konker keeps opening. >_< This version of Kmail seems different. ?

Hi MucksMozilla-Firefox is the same as Firefox . . . so no need to get a second one . . :) . . . . if your DVD won't play let us know and I will tell you how to add the correct libdvdcss ( click click click )Also there might be other software you will want to install . . . . please only use the MCC ( package manager in the Mandrake Control Center ) .>_< Bruno
Hello Bruno,Got a lot of configuring to do here ... B) ... I don't see an "MCC" I used "Mandriva Update" it worked ok.I need to install some fonts or at least change Firefox fonts again ... not good for my eyes these ones.Also, there is an orange " ? " by the clock ... Service is not Configured please click on "Configure the Service" ... it does not work, should I bother with it?

Hi Mucks"madrake update" is part of the MCC . . . . . you can get the full MCC by: Menu --> System --> Configuration --> Configure your ComputerThe orange ? icon: DUMP it ! Rightclick it and let it disapear to never appear again . . . ( It's a payed subscribtion tool for updates . . but we on the forum deliver the same service for free B) subscribe to This thread and you will get notified when there are new updates :) )I would like you to go to the MCC --> "add software" ad install: galeon, gkrellm, anacron, mplayerplugins, mplayer-gui, xine-ui, xmms-alsa and aumixThen when you finished that I will guide you through gettign even more codecs for videoB) Bruno

Some we win, some we loose. B) When I tried to install/look for anacron, mplayerplugins, mplayer-gui, xmms-alsa and aumix ... it came up with 'none' ... anacron seemed to cause some sort of crash. KDE something or other, had that in Suse too.Anyway I restarted but still could not get the ones I've listed. >_< I really need to sort these fonts out ... I can't read this, same rubbish I had last time ... fortunatly I saved them onto a disk. :) Kmail is downloading repeat mail ???

Hi MucksThe crash is worrying me . . . did you uninstall "kat" as described in the install howto ??The fact that you can not list those packages again would mean they are installed after all . . . Dunno what browser you are using but you can set a minimum-font-size in every browser . . . I use "evolution" as mail program . . . . like it better ;):) Bruno

Bruno, I'm still trying to see what I'm writing and what has been written ... I need to install some fonts for Firefox to use, the ones it uses are really rubbish. I'll put up with it for now, and carry on.Kmail seems to be behaving now ... I like it, it'll do me, and I'll find the thread that tells me how to make it open Firefox and not Konker. B) I have not yet un-installed KAT ... I have 50-100 pages of print-off here, I'm looking.I have to find my way around this Mandriva ... and some of the places are way off the map. :)

I have not yet un-installed KAT ... I have 50-100 pages of print-off here, I'm looking.
The simplest way to do that is
$ su< password ># urpme kat

( I know it is the commandline again but it is soo much faster B) )Then reboot and your computer will run much faster and more stable ;):) Bruno

Not frightend of Konsole anymore ... :) [mucks@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost mucks]# urpme katremoving kat-0.6.3-19mdk.i586[root@localhost mucks]#Rebooting now ... when I have closed everybody down. B)

Grand Job !! :thumbsup:I see you are starting to like the commandline . . . . I have a bit more when you come back from the reboot :DB) Bruno

Grand Job !! :thumbsup:I see you are starting to like the commandline . . . . I have a bit more when you come back from the reboot :DB) Bruno
>_< B) I say, it is faster int it ...OK, Boss, what we doing now ... :)

:DI have 2 very long commands for you . . it will add the PLF software sources . . .you need those for the extra codecs:

$ su<password>

And here is the first command . . . it is ONE line !

# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/free/2006.0 with hdlist.cz

And when that one is finished downloading the list of software do this one ( again ONE line ):

# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/non-free/2006.0 with hdlist.cz

Tell me when you are finished please . . :) Bruno

Okay . . .great . . .now we install the codecs:

# urpmi win32-codecs# urpmi xine-win32# urpmi libdvdcss# urpmi mplayerplugins

If one gives an error . . please show me the error . . . :) Bruno

:) Hey, only one ...[root@localhost mucks]# urpmi mplayerpluginsno package named mplayerplugins[root@localhost mucks]# Shall I try and go get it again?

Nope . . it's okay . . . I will do some research first to see why it can not find it . . . Could you have a look if these work now:

# urpmi mplayer-gui# urpmi  xmms-alsa # urpmi  aumix

After that you would nave everything you need :DB) Bruno

B) [root@localhost mucks]# urpmi mplayer-guiTo satisfy dependencies, the following 12 packages are going to be installed (18 MB):libbio2jack0-0.7-1mdk.i586libdha1.0-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586libenca0-1.7-1mdk.i586libggi-2.1.1-1mdk.i586libggi2-2.1.1-1mdk.i586libgii-0.9.1-1mdk.i586libgii0-0.9.1-1mdk.i586liblame0-3.97-0.b.1plf.i586libpostproc0-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586libxvid4-1.1.0-0.beta2.1plf.i586mplayer-1.0-1.pre7.12plf.i586mplayer-gui-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586Is this OK? (Y/n) Y ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...7-1mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma....12mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...1-1mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...1-1mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...7-1mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...1-1mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma....12mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...1-1mdk.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma....12mdk.i586.rpmwarning: /var/cache/urpmi/partial/libbio2jack0-0.7-1mdk.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 70771ff3 ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...b.1plf.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...2.1plf.i586.rpm ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux....12plf.i586.rpmThe following packages have bad signatures:/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libbio2jack0-0.7-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libdha1.0-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libenca0-1.7-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libggi-2.1.1-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libggi2-2.1.1-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libgii-0.9.1-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libgii0-0.9.1-1mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libpostproc0-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/mplayer-gui-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586.rpm: Missing signature ((no key found) OK)Do you want to continue installation ? (y/N) yinstalling libbio2jack0-0.7-1mdk.i586.rpm liblame0-3.97-0.b.1plf.i586.rpm mplayer-gui-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586.rpm libxvid4-1.1.0-0.beta2.1plf.i586.rpm libggi2-2.1.1-1mdk.i586.rpm mplayer-1.0-1.pre7.12plf.i586.rpm libgii-0.9.1-1mdk.i586.rpm libenca0-1.7-1mdk.i586.rpm libggi-2.1.1-1mdk.i586.rpm libdha1.0-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586.rpm libgii0-0.9.1-1mdk.i586.rpm libpostproc0-1.0-1.pre7.12mdk.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpmsPreparing... ############################################# 1/12: libpostproc0 ############################################# 2/12: libdha1.0 ############################################# 3/12: libenca0 ############################################# 4/12: libxvid4 ############################################# 5/12: liblame0 ############################################# 6/12: libbio2jack0 ############################################# 7/12: libgii0 ############################################# 8/12: libggi2 ############################################# 9/12: mplayer ############################################# 10/12: mplayer-gui ############################################# 11/12: libgii ############################################# 12/12: libggi #############################################[root@localhost mucks]# urpmi xmms-alsaThe package(s) are already installed[root@localhost mucks]# urpmi aumixThe package(s) are already installed[root@localhost mucks]# :)

Woooow . . . excellent !!! . . . Well I think we are set to play DVDs and other content from the Net :DSee you next time Mucks . . . .there might be more we need to install but we will pass that bridge when we need to . . . :DB) Bruno

Woooow . . . excellent !!! . . . Well I think we are set to play DVDs and other content from the Net :DSee you next time Mucks . . . .there might be more we need to install but we will pass that bridge when we need to . . . :DB) Bruno
No problem ... and thanks again. :)

You're welcome . . . have fun !!B) BrunoPS: Maybe another time we need to do the flash and java browser plugins . . . but see after your fonts for FF first . . :)