managing icons on desktop

réjean

Hi again!

How can I manage the icons on my desktop that belong to partitions?

screenshotex.th.png

Some partitions get mounted but I don't see them in my /etc/fstab nor on the desktop. There is 1 partition that I would like to access from the desktop but I don't know how. Is there a tutorial somewhere that I could follow?

The icons that I would like to save I would appreciate it if I were able to rename them because as you can see 5 of them say 21 GB but which distro do they point to?

Edited by réjean

V.T. Eric Layton

Is that Gnome?

You may be able to remove some/all of those volumes from the desktop using gconf-editor. It's not usually installed by default. You may need to d-load and install it from your distro's repos. It's basically an under-the-hood tweaker for Gnome.

Thanks Eric!

It was installed but I didn't know what to look for, I guess.

screenshot1wz.th.png

I think I was looking for something a little more flexible ( not an all or nothing ) that would have allowed me to keep one or two ( especially the storage partitions ) but not the others.

That's fine, however, because I can almost mount the partitions I want from the console with my eyes closed since I move from one distro to another several times a day.

V.T. Eric Layton

You think that's bad. You may have to use udev rules to get rid of those volumes.

What distro is that?

Oh, and it's been a while, but I don't thing you want to be in the Volume area of gconf. You wan to be in the area where you can tweak the desktop stuff.

V.T. Eric Layton

This is for Fedora, but it's the same for all Gnome 2 desktops.

http://fedoraunity.org/Members/realz/how-t...esktop-in-gnome

This will remove ALL the volumes with one click. To remove selected ones is more difficult. I believe you'll have to create udev rules manually to do that. It's a pain in the posterior. I had to do it once a long time ago. I don't even remember the specifics anymore.

Thanks Eric!

Since PCLinuxOS ( both mini-zen (Gnome) and Phoenix (Xfce) ) are the only ones giving me this problem for now I'll manage without icons for the partitions on the Desktop.

Much better!

screenshotbfy.th.png

Edited by réjean

V.T. Eric Layton

Those volumes are still accessible in Nautilus and Thunar, probably. I don't like a cluttered desktop, so I clear them off on every distribution I use. :)

Those volumes are still accessible in Nautilus and Thunar, probably. I don't like a cluttered desktop, so I clear them off on every distribution I use. :)

I agree with you. It just that I wouldn't have minded having 2 or 3 there on the desktop. I should probably put an icon for Nautilus on the panel which would save me a few clicks.

V.T. Eric Layton

Absolutely! The File Manager is always on my main panel right next to the Terminal. I use both quite often.