Choosing a Case (Chassis)

raymac46

If you've built your own desktop system how much planning went into choosing your case? In my "case" not so much.

With my first build I intended to re-use a case that came with my late parents' system. When that turned out to be impracticable I had to scramble at the last minute to get a case and power supply. I got lucky in that the Cooler Master K280 case was on sale at my local Canada Computers store.

http://www.coolermas...tower/k280.html

Although this is a budget minded case it turned out to be an excellent buy. It has USB 3.0 support, accommodates an SSD conveniently and has limited tool free drive installation. The best thing about it is that it doesn't have excessive length and fits nicely in its spot on my compact computer desk. Too long means that either cables get snagged at the back or it sticks out too far and bumps my knees. I discovered that a lot of mid tower ATX cases are longish in design to accommodate big graphics cards which I don't have. They won't fit on my desk.

The K280 looks a bit rugged for my tastes but otherwise it is great. What I also really like about it is that the side panels are convex so there's lots of room for packing in the cables behind the motherboard. Even all the stuff from a non-modular power supply would fit but I did go modular to keep things clean. The power supply is a bottom install and its airflow is isolated from the case- just sucks it in at the bottom and blows it out the back.

The case only came with one front-mounted 120 mm fan but I added a second one at the back of the case. As mentioned in a previous post I had to get a fan extension cable so the front panel fan would plug into the header on the motherboard.

All in all a fine case but I was more lucky than skillful in choosing it. Going to the store to see it in person, rather than buying online was a good thing here.

IMG_1066_zps4b8edae1.jpg

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Well I have built many machines over the years and I do some planning but nothing crazy. Basically I start by figuring out what I am going to use the machine for (does it need to be a high-end machine or a lightweight web portal/server). With that in mind, I pick out the best motherboard and processor within the budget and max out the ram. Next I pick out a case which also depends on the use (mini ATX to full ATX for a gaming rig and usually micro ATX for lightweight machines). Then its a matter of just ordering the parts and assembling the rig.

securitybreach

I never buy anything in actual stores since I can get most things for a lot less online. I mainly look at specs, order from reputable sites and read all reviews.

Well, I don't plan on building another machine for some time. I did put quite some thought into the parts for inside the case but unfortunately not a lot for the case itself. Since I did choose an mATX motherboard I could likely have fit things into a smaller case but working inside a larger one was probably a better idea since this was the first time I actually put one together. I really do need the shorter length though, and not all that many ATX midsize cases have that feature.

I watched a video on building with a Silverstone TJ-O8E case (much smaller) and it was tricky. I could probably do OK with it now having the experience under my belt.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303

Canada Computers is an excellent store, has online sales as well and their prices are good.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

My case rules: big, lots of slots (5.25" and 3.5"), ease of installation of components (I like slide in/out hdds), lots of fans. :)

My main system's case: Nvidia NV334

cooler_master_nv_334.jpg

4.jpg?1634252053

Mine is branded "Nvidia", but it's the exact same case. It comes with a front and rear fan slot, but I'm running 8 fans total. Also, I don't run with case sides installed. It's cooler and more convenient to tinker when I have to. ;)

• Like 1

One other point to ponder. There is a "case" to be made for buying a little better quality enclosure if your budget allows it. A good case can be reused for upgrades and will be a pleasure to build in - no cut fingers, convenient drive placement, good opportunities for cable management, even the possibility of improved cooling or more quiet operation. Also you may have found the ideal footprint to fit under your desk and want to continue with that particular tower. There are some lovely Silverstone and Lian Li cases out there.

The disadvantage of investing in an expensive case is that you may have to cut corners elsewhere - never a pleasant tradeoff to skimp on say a processor or speed of RAM. Also technology moves along and an older case may not give you USB 3.0 support, or a convenient place to stash an SSD.

V.T. Eric Layton

On bit of advice I can give based on experience...

I once had a case for my main system that I really liked. It was called an Antec SuperLanboy.

SuperLANboy.jpg

The problem with it was that it was an all aluminum case, which made it very light and easy to maneuver around on the desk when I needed to work in it. However, it was also the downfall of the case. The aluminum construction was flimsy by nature and ended up warping, which caused stress to my mobo which resulted in a vid card socket going bad on me. I also had further issues with broken/stressed solder joints on the mobo. I fixed the solder joints, but could no longer use the AGP vid slot, so that board is now being used with the onboard video inside an old steel case and is my ericsshop02 system out in my workshop.

Moral to the story... stay away from aluminum cases.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Congrats abarbarian!

Could also consider using a homemade wooden case...we had a friend that did that and named it Lopez.

And here are some links to ones other folks have made:

case_complete.jpg

Click on the image to go to the article about the case.

And here's a slew of them! 10 Amazing Wood PC Cases

The more I read up on it, the more I'm convinced I was incredibly lucky to buy this Cooler Master K280 case.

Most ATX midtowers have more depth and wouldn't sit well on the lower shelf of my IKEA desk. You can get smaller mATX cases but the good ones are expensive and have some weird innovations like mounting the motherboard upside down. Also the mATX cases don't give as good cable management.

The Corsair Obsidian 350D looks like a great solution for a mATX as long as you don't want or need an optical drive installed. If you do the drive doesn't sit flush with the front of the bezel and looks ugly.

The K280 fits on my shelf, has lots of room to build inside, gives great cable management possibilities and isn't really expensive. And the optical drive fits.

Edited by raymac46

And here's a slew of them! 10 Amazing Wood PC Cases

I like the wooden keyboard that guy from the picture made. An from your excellent link my favourites are the Radio and the Russian cases.

raymac46 your Cooler Master K280 case looks pretty neat. Sounds like it has a easy to wwork with layout inside too. :breakfast:

V.T. Eric Layton

Man! Frankenstein would be proud. Abarbarian robs computer graves for body parts to create "the monster". Impressive. Does Igor do the actual digging, I wonder?

Ah.jpg

By the way, saw a few familiar usernames over at that PCReview forum. Not much activity in the Linux section since January, though. I thought maybe I'd finally found Urmas' hideaway.

By the way, saw a few familiar usernames over at that PCReview forum. Not much activity in the Linux section since January, though. I thought maybe I'd finally found Urmas' hideaway.

Frankenstein the first of the recyclers. My hero.

Yup there are a few lurkers over at PCR. Urmie is as elusive over there as he is here.

As to the linux section I seem to be the major poster over the last few years. I had a lot of negativity when I first started posting. Not for my posts themselves, more about how linux was not really easy and stable enough for everyday folk as a main os. To be fair most of the negativity was from folk much more geekyer than me who had played with linux in the past, and in the main their views had a great deal of merit.

Changes have occurred lately with several of those detractors now happily running and playing with linux again. Not that my evangelism has produced change alone, it may have played a small part, it is more the actions of Microsoft etc that have pushed folk to looking for an alternative. Along with the fact that there are linux distros that are now pretty easy to install which are stable and very useable for non geeks. :breakfast:

Building PCs is easy. If a cute model in a bikini can do it, anyone can. I only watched this video for the story, honest! :)

How to build a MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING PC

Great video. :thumbup:

Apart from the fact that no anti static precautions were shown and fingers were touching the golden contacts of parts.

Do you really have to wear a bikini when building pc's :hmm:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Anti-static. Pfffffffft! I've been working on electronics for 40 years. I've never used any anti-static precaution other than Florida's natural high humidity environment. I've never zapped a CPU yet. ;)

Oh, and I wear my t-back to build systems all the time. Fortunately for you, I do NOT have any pics. :o

• Like 1

Apart from the fact that no anti static precautions were shown and fingers were touching the golden contacts of parts.

I usually ground my hands on a tap or something before building. I don't wear synthetic clothes which I think are an extra static hazard.

Do you really have to wear a bikini when building pc's :hmm:

Yes.

• Like 2

Anti-static. Pfffffffft! I've been working on electronics for 40 years. I've never used any anti-static precaution other than Florida's natural high humidity environment. I've never zapped a CPU yet. ;)

The only thing I do is hold the new part by a metal component and then touch the PC with my other hand, equalizing the charge. Simple stuff.

Adam

• Like 1

I grounded myself on the case, and built my machine in my basement workshop where I have a concrete floor and no carpets. No problems I can see so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you looked at Antec 1200, you can fit a truck and all the stuff in your basement inside, beatiful blue lights and fans, very easy to use...very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Twelve-Hundred-V3-Gaming/dp/B004INH0FS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385581898&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+1200+case

Edited by marcos9999
  • Like 1