He he anarchy rules !!!

abarbarian

I'm posting this from my new Arch 64 install with Slim login and E17 desktop and Namoraka browser :happyroll: Ain't I a clever chappy :harhar: It only took me two full days and nights :hysterical: ;) :hysterical: :hysterical:Would have been quicker but half the symbols have worn of me keyboard and I found it impossible to type with the mouse :bangin:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Awesome Abarbarian!!!! :thumbup:So how do you like E17? I have not used it in over a year. I wonder if they have good multi-monitor support in Enlightenment?

E17 will be ok when I figure out and choose some new themes. Oh and I need to figure out how to make everything bigger as the dock and icons look so small on me 24" Dell :hysterical:

E17 will be ok when I figure out and choose some new themes.
I know what ya mean. I enjoy using E17 (using it here in PCLOS) a lot more once I played around with different themes and found some that work well for me.You folks here (and at a few other Linux forums) are starting to get me interested in Arch.

Yeah I am trying to figure out how to set it up as well.For more themes, you can install the e17-themes package from AUR http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=e17-themes
Them last few PCLinuxOS magazines had really good E17 articles. Well worth a look. I'm too info flooded to look at the moment. Left click on desktop, Shelf settings, highlightshelf in new window, click settings and you can do allsorts to the shelf. :hysterical: Mine is now darkish blue and auto hidding and just the right size ;) saturian : the time has arrived to try a real os :hysterical:

securitybreach
Them last few PCLinuxOS magazines had really good E17 articles. Well worth a look. I'm too info flooded to look at the moment. Left click on desktop, Shelf settings, highlightshelf in new window, click settings and you can do allsorts to the shelf. :hysterical: Mine is now darkish blue and auto hidding and just the right size ;) saturian : the time has arrived to try a real os :hysterical:
Sounds good, I will have a look at the articles after work later tonight.

Only two days and nights? You're not done...you've got to break a few things first before you can say you're done. ;)Way to go!
Ok I'll fess up. I do have a little glitch to iron out. :thumbsup: I can only log in to Slim as root. If I try to log in as ME I get " Failed to execute Log In command" :w00t: Had a good look around but can not seem to see what the problem is. I checked and it looks like I have created a user ME as I have a ME folder.An ME has a password in /etc/shadow so it looks like ME is valid as a user.Any ideas folks. :"> Edited by abarbarian

# Path, X server and arguments (if needed)# Note: -xauth $authfile is automatically appendeddefault_path /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bindefault_xserver /usr/bin/Xxserver_arguments -nolisten tcp vt07# Commands for halt, login, etc.halt_cmd /sbin/shutdown -h nowreboot_cmd /sbin/shutdown -r nowconsole_cmd /usr/bin/xterm -C -fg white -bg black +sb -T "Console login" $#suspend_cmd /usr/sbin/suspend# Full path to the xauth binaryxauth_path /usr/bin/xauth# Xauth file for serverauthfile /var/run/slim.auth# Activate numlock when slim starts. Valid values: on|off# numlock on# Hide the mouse cursor (note: does not work with some WMs).# Valid values: true|false# hidecursor false# Path, X server and arguments (if needed)# Note: -xauth $authfile is automatically appendeddefault_path /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bindefault_xserver /usr/bin/Xxserver_arguments -nolisten tcp vt07# Commands for halt, login, etc.halt_cmd /sbin/shutdown -h nowreboot_cmd /sbin/shutdown -r nowconsole_cmd /usr/bin/xterm -C -fg white -bg black +sb -T "Console login" $#suspend_cmd /usr/sbin/suspend# Full path to the xauth binaryxauth_path /usr/bin/xauth# Xauth file for serverauthfile /var/run/slim.auth# Activate numlock when slim starts. Valid values: on|off# numlock on# Hide the mouse cursor (note: does not work with some WMs).# Valid values: true|false# hidecursor false# This command is executed after a succesful login.# you can place the %session and %theme variables# to handle launching of specific commands in .xinitrc# depending of chosen session and slim theme## NOTE: if your system does not have bash you need# to adjust the command according to your preferred shell,# i.e. for freebsd use:# login_cmd exec /bin/sh - ~/.xinitrc %sessionlogin_cmd exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session# Commands executed when starting and exiting a session.# They can be used for registering a X11 session with# sessreg. You can use the %user variable## sessionstart_cmd some command# sessionstop_cmd some command# Start in daemon mode. Valid values: yes | no# Note that this can be overriden by the command line# options "-d" and "-nodaemon"# daemon yes# Available sessions (first one is the default).# The current chosen session name is replaced in the login_cmd# above, so your login command can handle different sessions.# see the xinitrc.sample file shipped with slim sourcessessions enlightenment,xfce4,icewm,wmaker,blackbox# Executed when pressing F11 (requires imagemagick)screenshot_cmd import -window root /slim.png# welcome message. Available variables: %host, %domainwelcome_msg Welcome to %host# Session message. Prepended to the session name when pressing F1# session_msg Session:# shutdown / reboot messagesshutdown_msg The system is halting...reboot_msg The system is rebooting...# default user, leave blank or remove this line# for avoid pre-loading the username.#default_user simone# Focus the password field on start when default_user is set# Set to "yes" to enable this feature#focus_password no# Automatically login the default user (without entering# the password. Set to "yes" to enable this feature#auto_login no# current theme, use comma separated list to specify a set to# randomly choose fromcurrent_theme default# Lock filelockfile /var/lock/slim.lock# Log filelogfile /var/log/slim.logApologies fore the long copy but I did not know which bit you wanted to see. :thumbsup:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Ok, looking over it now. Also, could you post your ~/.xinitrc file? Does the command startx start your environment? I am trying to see if it is a Slim configuration issue or a ~/.xinitrc issue.

Ok, looking over it now. Also, could you post your ~/.xinitrc file? Does the command startx start your environment? I am trying to see if it is a Slim configuration issue or a ~/.xinitrc issue.
My actual ~/.xinitrc,#!/bin/sh## ~/.xinitrc## Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)# exec gnome-session# exec startkde# exec startxfce4# ...or the Window Manager of your choiceexec enlightenment_startStarting E17If you use startx or a simple Display Manager like XDM or SLiM, add or uncomment the following command in xinitrc:exec enlightenment_startSingle environmentsTo configure SLiM to load a particular environment, edit your ~/.xinitrc to load your desktop environment:#!/bin/sh## ~/.xinitrc## Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)#exec [session-command]SLiM reads the local ~/.xinitrc configuration and then launches the desktop according to what is in that file. If you do not have a ~/.xinitrc file, you can use the skeleton file by:$ cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc ~Looks the same as the wiki examples so I'm a tad confused.I think I have followed the Arch wiki install to the letter. An I have only pacmaned Slim,FF,E17 + E17 extras, as far as I can remember. Any changes I made and tried I went back and undid before trying anything else. A bit long winded but at this stage it is helping me learn. Ta for taking the time to help. :yes:

securitybreach

OK, your ~/.xinitrc is fine. I just tried it via startx and E17 loads. So it has to do with your configuration file. Off to research more.

V.T. Eric Layton

You know, since Anarchy (the philosophy) expounds on the advantages of no ruling authority, it would be more accurate to state that Anarchy Self-Rules!HAHA! :yes: OK, I'm off to find a life now...

securitybreach
You know, since Anarchy (the philosophy) expounds on the advantages of no ruling authority, it would be more accurate to state that Anarchy Self-Rules!HAHA! ;) OK, I'm off to find a life now...
:yes: Right!!I have never used a login manager on Arch, so I am kind of "shooting in the dark", per say.

securitybreach

I know you followed the wiki to the "t" but they may have missed something as well. I have found numerous posts in the Arch forums and elsewhere but nothing really popped out to me while looking over your config and .xinitrc file.

I know you followed the wiki to the "t" but they may have missed something as well. I have found numerous posts in the Arch forums and elsewhere but nothing really popped out to me while looking over your config and .xinitrc file.
Oh I've been dropping me 'T's" all me life so a lost and lonely "t" would not suprise me.This output might suprise you though,[root@myhost ~]# cat /var/log/slim.log | tailEEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!!EEEK using shared already!![root@myhost ~]# :yes: