• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

I know I am missing something extremely simple here, but I built my new desktop computer, installed Arch, no problems there, but when I remove the Arch Linux Live disk and boot into the OS I can't get ethernet to work?  Works fine with the live disk in but once I am in the OS, nada.

I did run
 # systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service 

That ran without errors but still a no go.  I have never had ANY issues when plugging up an ethernet cable to any Arch linux build I have owned.

So you know I am missing ONE major step and maybe because my eyes just are not what they used to be I missed it.  ;)

Any suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.

Thanks again

Ian

Still have not got the SSD drive on the lappy loaded yet, time has not been on my side.  Maybe next week.
Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

"I'm in repair.............I'm not together, but I'm getting there"
- John Mayer

Registered Linux User:  526317 10/22/2010
  Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

I suggest Slackware. ;)

#3 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Arch does not use the eth0/wlan0 naming from BIOS any longer, it uses a name provided from udev/hardware detection.
It should be something like 'enp0s25' see the ArchWiki Networking page and scroll down to the Device Names paragraph under Network Interfaces.

You should be able to get it to go with just
# systemctl enable dhcpcd.service

Try disabling the service you show above and run this one without any interface name first and see if that fixes it.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#4 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

I disabled the first service, again no problem there but when I try and enable dhcpd.service is says it does not exist.  Have NEVER had issues getting ethernet to work, that is normally not a problem.

I'm delving into the Network Configuration Arch Wiki to see if I can figure this simple thing out.

Edited by ichase, 03 May 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Ian Chase

Try Parted Magic The must have tool for any linux user's tool box.  (Contains Gparted, wifi support, Clonezilla, SuperGrubDisk/2, plop bootloader and more!!!)
CNI Radio

- John Mayer

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

You can type
# ip link
to discover the names on your system.
Then you can use
# systemctl start dhcpcd@interface.service
# systemctl enable dhcpcd@interface.service
where interface is the name from the ip link output.

REGLUE

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#6 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

I sense that I've been ignored. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

Follow what Amenditman suggested... your eth0 should be something like enp3s0
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#8 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

Eric, I promise you have NOT been ignored, and Slackware is all that and a bag of chips, but I am an Arch guy,  I still respect Slackware being the "original" :thumbup:
Am going to try Ameditman's suggestion first thing in the morning.  Just not sure what happened, Arch has always seemed to recognize the network when the ethernet cable is plugged in.  Heck, I USED to have my desktop setup with Wifi, which was a piece of cake.  :)

Edited by ichase, 04 May 2014 - 12:28 AM.

Ian Chase

CNI Radio

- John Mayer

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

It's still a piece of cake. You just need to setup you network as discussed in the Beginner's Guide:
https://wiki.archlin...39;_guide#Wired

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#10 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 03 May 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

I sense that I've been ignored. ;)
Guess we're just a bunch of slackers! or not!

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#11 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

I wasn't serious about either post here, Ian. Don't sweat it. ;)

#12 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

We all have to admit that Slackware must be really stable and easy to keep running smoothly.
How else would Eric have so much time to admin forums, pad his post count, write all those blogs, and write detective stories?

Hey, maybe if I ran Slackware I could have a life also!

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Well there is the compiling times but with faster machines, it does cut down a bit.

#14 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, old folks and cats like Slackware (and Debian) because there are rarely any surprises.

#15 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

Not just that, but for cats in particular ;) they like things that don't move around a lot. You know, like having to pull out the system and put in all kinds of new shiny stuff, etc. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#16 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hmm, my cat loves stuff that moves around. She loves to swat at new things or anything moving. B)

#17 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 04 May 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Yeah, old folks and cats like Slackware (and Debian) because there are rarely any surprises.

Debian's boring (my friend, though, says, "Boring is good"). :P

So I also run Arch and Sabayon, where updates might break something.  :Muahaha:

Even though I'm an old cat.

Edited by saturnian, 04 May 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

I think what Fran means when she says "moving" is like rearranging furniture and stuff like that. My cats hate it whenever I move stuff around in my house. The grumble and give me angry looks for days afterwards. It's like rearranging the furniture at Helen Keller's house. They just like things to stay the same.

#19 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

View Postsaturnian, on 04 May 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

So I also run Arch and Sabayon, where updates might break something.  :Muahaha:

Might is the key word B)

I have not had anything break in a really long time plus I do the weekly clonezilla backups just in case.

#20 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 04 May 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

I think what Fran means when she says "moving" is like rearranging furniture and stuff like that. My cats hate it whenever I move stuff around in my house. The grumble and give me angry looks for days afterwards. It's like rearranging the furniture at Helen Keller's house. They just like things to stay the same.

Exactly Eric! :yes:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#21 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Ok, up and running  :)  I was pretty much right the first time except for the fact I used eth0 instead of enp2x0x

# systemctl enable dhcpcd@enp2x0x0.service

Still have some tweaking to do but so far I was able to get my official and local packages from my laptop installed on the desk top.  Now to see how ard it is going to be to run video from both the Nvidia video card and the AMD on board video to get the 3 monitors going.  Won't be touching this until next week.  HOPEFULLY this week I can start the install on the SSD drive on the laptop.  Yeah, that was a few weeks ago and life just seems to get in the way  ;)

Edited by ichase, 05 May 2014 - 09:47 AM.

Ian Chase

CNI Radio

- John Mayer

Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Good deal

#23 OFFLINE   ichase

ichase

Chasing the Penguin

• Forum MVP
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Not sure why my last post was so small and all in red?  Strange.
Ian Chase

CNI Radio

- John Mayer

Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Wow! That systemd sure is complicated. To enable networking using SysVinits, I would just do this:

# chmod -R 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.networkmanager

And that's it. Off to the races... :yes:

=====

Just yankin' you Archbois' chains, you know. ;)

#25 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,027 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Actually that is more complicated than simply running:
# systemctl enable dhcpcd@[interface].service

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arch linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users