460 replies to this topic

#451 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

We were getting a little off-track showing trucks and motors on perhaps the wrong thread . So putting this one up on here may be a better idea than the Gnu Desktop . thread
The truck is 40 yrs old and in the short few years she has been with me she has saved me a packet of dosh . Hauling timber and all sorts of heavy cargo .
I love and respect her and she gets a lot of TLC .*Because she's worth it * lol..

.Posted Image
Linux counter no . 393441

#452 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,165 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Those little Land Rovers are sturdy beasts! My friend Ian (releaseroderick/releaseian) from here and my Cabin forums is also a great fan of them.

#453 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yep Even though they have an aluminum body they still weigh in around 1700Kg . No electronics so EMP impervious .Go anywhere . Haul any thing .Hi/low range box . Power take off .109" long .Have carried one tonne inside and it never misses a beat . I love it
o:)

#454 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

Update:- I just can't believe my luck . Just now as I am writing this I am listening to the boxed set of the *Concert for Bangladesh* on vinyl . 1971. produced by Harrison and Spectre . In pristine condition .
When CD's started to take over as the media to use a lot of folks started putting their vinyl into the dumpsters . I felt a bit foolish at the time but I rescued them and brought them home to put in boxes and promptly forgot them .
Having lately had some early sunsets and not much to do I started getting them out and putting them on .
So many are in excellent condition ./Classical/HipHop /Rock/ Easy listening/Blues /Jazz . Too many to list here .
Some angel must have prompted me way back then . Now I feel so lucky to have all these .
There is a heaven somewhere .

#455 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

I love the sound quality of analog. Digital is a weak replacement.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#456 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

Also if they get dirty ,the vinyl can be washed . If there are bad scratches, with a jewelers eyeglass and a very fine sewing needle the tracks can be reformed with a lot of success. Can't do that with optical disks.

#457 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,985 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 31 January 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

Also if they get dirty ,the vinyl can be washed . If there are bad scratches, with a jewelers eyeglass and a very fine sewing needle the tracks can be reformed with a lot of success. Can't do that with optical disks.

I did not know that..
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#458 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Discovered it one day when a persistent click would not go away even after scrubbing with the dust cloth . Got the magnifier out and had a look ,there was what looked like a giant bit of moon rock in the grooves . Picked it out with a needle then straightened out the overlaps . Tried it out and except for a very small click over about four revolutions all worked well.
So anytime I get a " rough" disk I go at it with the needle . Not perfect but makes things passably listen-able.Still have to find a way of reducing the frying bacon sound on a really bad record .

#459 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Update:- Woe is me Woe is me , Both Greycoat and Waistcoat have gone AWOL. No sight nor sound of them for a week or more .
Sammy and Tux are still here. Tux is getting a lot more used to me at long last . Allowed me to stroke its back and tail for about three minutes the day before yesterday . Sammy is still very wary of me ,though the lad gets to play with him a little .
There is now a another tom in from the wild,a smelly git who is going around marking everything . I just cannot seem to take to him as he will not let the other two feed at mealtimes . He is sooooo aggressive with them . I think I will have to start feeding the other two in the lobby ,just to make sure they are getting enough calories . The weather has taken to laying very deep frosts at night ,so much so that a couple of times I thought it had snowed . The days are sunny but cold in the breeze. Tux comes and sits on the timber pile in the sun when I am working there . The wood shed is just really a roof on piles but there is good shelter there. When I'm finished Tux takes off to the plastic tunnel for extra warmth .
I hope this wandering gangster moves on soon then perhaps my beloved Greycoat will turn up again with Waistcoat in tow .

Woe is me  Woe is me
:'( :'( :'(

#460 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

Sorry to hear this. Hope the missing return soon.
Registered Linux User 344759

#461 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,165 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:55 AM

If the two "coats" are males, chances are they've just found a girlfriend down the road. They'll be back when they're done courting. I have a couple males (Whitey and Big Guy) who come here to eat on a daily (and nightly) basis. Sometimes, they don't show for a week or so. Eventually, they come back all skinny and really hungry. That kitty courting is tough work. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users