Good Reads (Split off from My IT Certification thread)

books reading classics

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,024 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Gee! Wish my blogs had that problem. ;)

#52 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

LOL! Yeah, I hear ya!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#53 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image

Thought folks might like a looksee. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#54 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,024 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

No linky... just a pic. What, pray tell, is LonCon3? Or 1 and 2, for that matter. ;)

Wait... I could DuckDuckGo it...

Ah... COOL! Wish I could be there. --> http://www.loncon3.org/

Hey! It's not till August. I could hit that lottery before then, huh? There's still time. Got a couch I could camp on, Erik?

#55 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Very cool! Wish I could go!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#56 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Yup double futons galore here. :shifty: an all mod cons apart from fast broadband.

Edited by abarbarian, 16 March 2014 - 08:42 PM.

Install ARCH

#57 OFFLINE   Fuddster

Fuddster

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

I was at the Worldcon in Chicago (Chicon 7) in 2012. It was such a blast! Pictures are worth thousands of words.

<iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?user_id=zathrasnj&set_id=72157632516263718" frameBorder="0" width="500" height="500"></iframe>

I had to cancel plans to attend the Worldcon in San Antonio last year. These things ain't cheap, you know. And Loncon, well. That was right out. Couldn't even convince the wife to take a trip to London. :( What really disappointed me is that they named it after me. My name is Lonnie. Lon for short. Lon-con. Get it? lol

Rumor has it that the Washington DC area is putting in a bid to host the Worldcon in 2017. That's only a 3 hour car ride for me. That just might be doable...
Middle aged, married and cooler than my kids think I am.

Fuddster Dot Com | Fuddster on Twitter

#58 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,024 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Weird it may be, but as soon as I saw Loncon in Erik's post above, I thought of you. ;)

#59 OFFLINE   Fuddster

Fuddster

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

By the way, yes, that is George R. R. Martin at the autograph table, and Neil Gaiman in the hotel lobby...

#60 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

View PostFuddster, on 16 March 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

I was at the Worldcon in Chicago (Chicon 7) in 2012. It was such a blast! Pictures are worth thousands of words.

<iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?user_id=zathrasnj&set_id=72157632516263718" frameBorder="0" width="500" height="500"></iframe>

I'm guessing they were dressed in black recreating the scene from Disaster Areas ship in the HHGTTG as it looks pretty black to me.

Posted Image

They try to get the spaceship under control, but the ship appears to take "all-black" to an extreme, and even the control panel is black indicator lights on a black background, surrounded by a black touch pad that lights up black to let you know you've initiated an action.

:whistling:
Install ARCH

#61 OFFLINE   Fuddster

Fuddster

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 17 March 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

I'm guessing they were dressed in black recreating the scene from Disaster Areas ship in the HHGTTG as it looks pretty black to me.

Posted Image

:whistling:

Just viewed the post in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Midori, and Konqueror on my linux box and Firefox and IE on my Win 7 virtual box, and they all showed the slideshow.

Does clicking on the black box take you to the link on Flickr.com? (Don't forget switch over to a black theme first...) The forum software automagically added "media" tags to my link, so clicking on it directly may take you there.

#62 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yep, it is one of the forms of media! Very cool!

Nope. It doesn't do it for your zimagez link here.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Nope still don't work. An when I right click the image i do not get a "view Image info" option which I do if I right click other images. :228823:
Install ARCH

#64 OFFLINE   Fuddster

Fuddster

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zathrasnj/8377251901/

Here's the link inside the code tags. Try a copy & paste into your browser

#65 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

Yes that works directly too ... Takes you right to that page of the slideshow on Flickr!

So just snag the link from a Flickr! Slideshow page and post it in directly like a YouTube video link and the forum will put it in media brackets.

Is that correct?
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#66 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

Ah, finally got it working on a testing forum topic here.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostFuddster, on 17 March 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zathrasnj/8377251901/

Here's the link inside the code tags. Try a copy & paste into your browser

Your link leads to a single photo. :ermm:
Install ARCH

#68 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

No it doesn't, it's one picture, the first in a slideshow. Wait for the arrow to show to move to the next one.

Maybe this was a NoScript moment too?
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#69 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Yup. :shifty:
Install ARCH

#70 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,024 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

"A NoScript Moment" AHAHAHAHAHA! That is SO accurate. :hysterical:

#71 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Humble eBook Bundle 3

Seven sweet literary works. Humble eBook Bundle 3 features six novel works of prose from respected authors. Name your price for Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black, Jumper by Steven Gould, The Happiest Days of Our Lives by Wil Wheaton, and Zombies Versus Unicorns - An Anthology edited by Holly Black & Justine Larbalestier. Pay more than the average and you'll also receive Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw!
As a special exclusive, pay $15 or more and you'll also get Homeland by Cory Doctorow (narrated by Wil Wheaton) in audiobook format!

Gad don't you just hate sales. :devil:

Support charities and authors. You choose where your money goes: between the authors and/or the following charities, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America Emergency Medical Fund and World Reader. If you like this promotion, a tip to Humble Bundle would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by abarbarian, 18 March 2014 - 07:32 PM.

Install ARCH

#72 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Got mine -- all the great ebooks and Cory Doctorow's Homeland audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton!

Posted Image
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Well done that lass. By gum she can spot a bargain. :clap:

Do I have to read Little brother before Homeland or will homeland stand up as a single read ?

Seems you can get Little Brother for free

http://craphound.com...other/download/

Who knew there were so many e-reader formats ? :fish:

Edited by abarbarian, 19 March 2014 - 08:14 AM.

Install ARCH

#74 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I have Little Brother in eBook format from Cory's website as well as the, audiobook format done by Random House audio narrated by Kirby Heyborne (great job!) when Cory offered it, and I also got the hardcover edition from Amazon.

I think there is enough overlap between the two that you could read Homeland on it's own. But it's hard to tell if I would know for sure since I read it after Little Brother. ;)

I can't wait to hear Wil Wheaton do Homeland!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#75 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Just listened to another very good book, Free: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson (MyPassionIsBooks Blog).

Chris Anderson read it himself and if you have the bandwidth, you may want to snag it from the Wired.com article where he also posted the MP3 audiobook version!

I have all the links for audible free download, other downloads, online listening and podcast link from the LearnOutLoud.com link on the blog article.

Enjoy!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, reading, classics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users