Why Microsoft loves Linux

securitybreach

securitybreach

Some things don't go together: Cats and dogs, New York Yankee and Boston Red Sox fans, Linux and Windows... or do they? In San Francisco, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said, and I quote, "Microsoft loves Linux." As far back as 2008, Microsoft was beginning to cotton up to open-source software.

Wow. That's a heck of a long way from Steve Ballmer proclaiming back in 2001 that "Linux is a cancer." In the years since then Microsoft certainly attacked Linux like it was a cancer — doing everything from sponsoring SCO's copyright attack on Linux to claiming that Linux violated unnamed Microsoft patents to endless FUD assaults.

So, how did we get from Linux as Microsoft enemy number one to "love"?

Nadella actually told us the heart of the story, which I can boil down to that classic detective approach: "Follow the money."

Nadella told Wired that he's not interested in fighting old battles — especially, when, like it or not, Linux has become a vital part of today's business technology. "If you don’t jump on the new,” he said, you don’t survive."

There's nothing new about Linux, which at 22 is old enough to drink. But two things are new: First, Microsoft's fortunes now lie not with the desktop or desktop programs, but with its Azure cloud and cloud-based programs such as Office 365. Second, Linux, even on the Azure cloud, is used by businesses large and small.....

ms-open-source-strategy-620x465.jpg?hash=AGt4BTWuZQ&upscale=1

http://www.zdnet.com...nux-7000035218/

• Like 1

I enjoy these articles you post SB! As someone who only started using Linux circa 2009 (Ubuntu 9.10), and hadn't even heard of Linux before then, I find it interesting and informative to know about historical events and contexts that led to today's environment(s). I also read Linux Format magazine every month, since 2009. At first, I didn't understand anything...might as well have been reading Klingon ciphers (and I don't speak Klingon!), but over time I started to understand some things and nowadays I'm able to grasp a majority of the info in that magazine, although not all. Your posted articles help fill in some of my gaps in pre-2009 knowledge. THANK YOU and keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

• Like 1