unable to run (install)

réjean

Hi all!

I downloaded both the -32 bit and the -64 bit of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview just to see what it looks like and play with it for a little bit. Both sha1sum are good. I tried to run the -32 bit in VBox in PCLinuxOS Zen ( gnome ) allowing 1024 Mb of RAM for the memory and 20 GB for disk space but I do get the 2 following screens;

screenshot1ni.th.png

screenshotqq.th.png

I don't really want to burn the -64 bit version and try to install it ( I have a 52 Gb sdb1 partition (NTFS-3G) that I could use ) and risk messing my MBR for nothing.

Any suggestion anyone?

Hi all!

I downloaded both the -32 bit and the -64 bit of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview just to see what it looks like and play with it for a little bit. Both sha1sum are good. I tried to run the -32 bit in VBox in PCLinuxOS Zen ( gnome ) allowing 1024 Mb of RAM for the memory and 20 GB for disk space but I do get the 2 following screens;

screenshot1ni.th.png

screenshotqq.th.png

I don't really want to burn the -64 bit version and try to install it ( I have a 52 Gb sdb1 partition (NTFS-3G) that I could use ) and risk messing my MBR for nothing.

Any suggestion anyone?

Does your PC supports Hardware Virtualization and is it enabled via the BIOS? Also, probably best to have the latest version of VBox.

does vbox allow for a cpu-usage setting? win 8 requires 1ghz.

does vbox support wddm video drivers? also a win 8 requirement.

can you post the error code?

(imageshack sends me to an upload page when i click the blue screen.)

not sure about the cpu-usage. It seems to be set at 1 ghz. It is using 1 processor and it is on a 3 ghz machine. Not sure about the video drive either. I know that

VT-x/AMD-V

is disabled.

screenshot1jl.th.png

And it says;

Your PC needs to be repaired.

An unexpected error has occured;

error code 0xc0000260

The rest is about contacting an administrator, as you can read on the picture of the blue screen I posted.

Thanks Temmu!

I downloaded the player and having a hard time installing it ( it's a bundle type of file, not a tar.gz or a rpm ) but I will figure it all eventually or just give up on playing with win8.

btw I burnt the -64 bit version last night and I have a sdb1 ( 52 GB ) that I could installing it to but either I am told that I am using a wrong product key ( it's the same for all versions and I have tripled and quadrupled checking that I had exactly the one suggested ) or some other reasons ( mind you I cannot say that I completely trust my DVD burner although K3B said that the burning was successful ).

Anyway we'll see what more I can try to make it work.

Thanks for the help!

Well I did managed to install vmware and trying to install win8 I bumped into that problem;

screenshot5pf.th.png

As I stated earlier or somewhere else there is only one product key for all the different downloads;

DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

now if microsoft doesn't want people to try their product for a few days, weeks or months it should say so.

You might do better running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview Setup first. (From the FAQ):

About Windows 8 Consumer Preview Setup:

1. Windows 8 Consumer Preview Setup checks your PC to see if it can run the consumer preview, and provides a compatibility report that you can save or print (make sure your devices are connected to your PC and turned on before you run the Setup program). The Setup program then selects the optimized version of the download (up to 25% smaller) that is right for your PC (32-bit or 64-bit).

2. The built-in download manager lets you start, stop, and resume the download at any time.

3. Once Windows 8 Consumer Preview is downloaded, you choose how and when to install it. You can install on the current drive or you can make an ISO or bootable flash drive for installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview on another partition, virtual machine, or another PC (requires Windows Vista or Windows 7).

I don't know where you got that product key. It doesn't match what is in the above-linked FAQ (bold added) for using if you create installation media instead of using the setup program:

If you install Windows 8 Consumer Preview using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview Setup program, you won't need to enter a product key—the setup program automatically provides the product key. If you create installation media, start your PC from the media, and then install Windows 8 Consumer Preview. You'll need to enter this product key: NF32V-Q9P3W-7DR7Y-JGWRW-JFCK8.

Thanks for the info Corrine. here is where I got the product key from.

I did some changes, moved from PCLinuxOS to OpenSUSE then I downloaded the -64 bit of VMWare Workstation 8.0 ( I know, only good for a month ).

Anyway I am now installing Windows 8 using your product key; NF32V-Q9P3W-7DR7Y-JGWRW-JFCK8 and it seems to be installing fine.

Thanks! Pal!

Edited by réjean