Arch - Gotta Love It

raymac46

My wife is away his week visiting my sister. She wanted to take a laptop with her so I let her have the Toshiba netbook - small, lightweight and with an SSD.

So my non-geekiest user went off with my geekiest distro - Arch Linux.

She's been doing great with it - it runs Xfce. She got on to my sister's wifi LAN & has been checking her email, Twitter. Facebook - all the stuff she does here in Windows with no problem at all. She's used to Firefox so it's been seamless.

After you get Arch installed it is remarkably stable and easy for a non techy user to run. Gotta love it.

• Like 1

After you get Arch installed it is remarkably stable and easy for a non techy user to run. Gotta love it.

Absolutely. Driving a operating system is like driving a car, learn in one and you can drive anything. :breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Ya' think? Go ahead and take this Gentoo for a spin. I dare ya'. ;)

Well Gentoo isn't that hard to install and maintain, the bad part is how long it takes to install it.

• Like 1

Does it have Ludicrous Mode like a Tesla? :D

Maybe but I hope it does not have a high frequency oscillator onboard.

"5. ‘HE SHOOK THE POOP OUT OF MARK TWAIN’

One famous legend surrounding the eccentric Tesla was that he had an earthquake machine in his Manhattan laboratory that shook his building and nearly brought down the neighborhood during experiments.

Tesla’s device wasn’t actually an earthquake machine, Carlson said, but a high frequency oscillator. A piston set underneath a platform in the laboratory shook violently as it moved, another experiment in more efficient electricity.

It didn’t bring the block to ruins, Carlson said, but it did “shake the poop out of Mark Twain.” Twain was known for having digestive problems, so Tesla, who knew Twain through their gentlemen’s club, invited him over. He instructed Twain to stand on the platform while he flipped on the oscillator. After about 90 seconds, Twain jumped off the platform and ran for the facilities."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-nikola-tesla/

:shifty:

• Like 2

securitybreach
"5. ‘HE SHOOK THE POOP OUT OF MARK TWAIN’

One famous legend surrounding the eccentric Tesla was that he had an earthquake machine in his Manhattan laboratory that shook his building and nearly brought down the neighborhood during experiments.

Tesla’s device wasn’t actually an earthquake machine, Carlson said, but a high frequency oscillator. A piston set underneath a platform in the laboratory shook violently as it moved, another experiment in more efficient electricity.

It didn’t bring the block to ruins, Carlson said, but it did “shake the poop out of Mark Twain.” Twain was known for having digestive problems, so Tesla, who knew Twain through their gentlemen’s club, invited him over. He instructed Twain to stand on the platform while he flipped on the oscillator. After about 90 seconds, Twain jumped off the platform and ran for the facilities."

http://www.pbs.org/n...t-nikola-tesla/

:shifty:

:hysterical:

Does it have Ludicrous Mode like a Tesla? :D

Maybe but I hope it does not have a high frequency oscillator onboard.

he, he, he...cool story. But I hope it DOES have a flux capacitor!

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 2

securitybreach

I think they come with them now by default. 88 mph isn't very fast any more B)

I think they come with them now by default. 88 mph isn't very fast any more B)

I would have to dispute that ,

History of unpaced records

The International Human Powered Vehicle Association (IHPVA) acts as the sanctioning body for new records in human-powered land, water, and air vehicles. It registers non-motor-paced records (also called unpaced), which means that the bicycle directly faces the wind without any motor-pacing vehicle in front.

On land, the speed record registered by a rider on a 200-meter flying start speed trial was 133.28 km/h (82.82 mph) by the Canadian Sam Whittingham riding the Varna Tempest, a streamliner recumbent bicycle in 2009.[8] at Battle Mountain, Nevada. His record has been surpassed by 0.5 km/h by Sebastiaan Bowier of the Netherlands in 2013 setting the new record of 133.78 km/h (83.13 mph). The record was again surpassed on 19 September 2015 by Todd Reichert by riding the ETA, a streamlined recumbent bicycle at 86.65 mph or 139.45 km/h from the team behind the AeroVelo Atlas human-powered helicopter.[9][10] Todd Reichert broke his own record again on September 17, 2016 to set a speed of 89.58 mph, or 144.17 kph at the 2016 WHPSC. [7]

The female record holder for this same category was Lisa Vetterlein, who reached 107.16 km/h (66.59 mph) in 2005.[11] This record was beaten by Barbara Buatois of France, when she reached 121.44 km/h (75.46 mph) at Battle Mountain in 2009.[8] She subsequently achieved 121.81 km/h (75.69 mph) at the 2010 running of the Battle Mountain event.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cycling_records

:tease:

An a very strange fact,

World Endurance record for distance in a calendar year

The inspiration for the competition was said to be the efforts of Harry Long, a commercial traveller who rode a bicycle on his rounds covering every part of England and Scotland and who covered 25,376 miles (40,839 km) in 1910.

an only in America,

Wheelie records

Kurt Osburn (nicknamed Wheelie King) from California, United States is the Guinness World Record holder for Longest Bicycle Wheelie, riding on the back wheel of a bicycle.[99] On 8 August 1998, he rode a wheelie for a record 11 hours at the Anaheim Convention Center, California. In June 2012 David "Pixie" Robilliard failed to break the record.[100]

From 13 April to 25 June 1999, he rode 2,839.6 miles from Hollywood to the Guinness World Records Experience in Orlando on one wheel, also for a Guinness World Record, becoming the first person in history to ride a bicycle wheelie coast to coast. During his attempt he rode an average of 50 miles per day, sometimes with winds in excess of 40 miles per hour. Other facts: He cycled on the 110 Highway, had 4 flat tires (on the rear tire of course), over 1.8 million pedal revolutions from start to finish, and was chased by dogs almost daily.[101]

:Laughing: :Laughing:

• Like 1

Any Arch users here using the LTS kernel?

The linux-lts package is an alternative Arch kernel package, and is available in the core repository. This particular kernel version has long-term support (LTS) from upstream, including security fixes and some feature backports. It is useful if you prefer the stability of less-frequent kernel updates or if you want a fallback kernel in case a new kernel version causes problems.

https://wiki.archlin...nux-lts_package

Seems like a good idea; I haven't tried it yet.