• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

GCC5 is the recently released new version of the Linux compiler. A vast number of packages need to be rebuilt to be compatible. This must be the biggest transition I have seen in my time of using Linux. Debian Sid and siduction users are having to hold off on upgrades presently, and probably for months.
How are other rolling-release distros handling this?

[ACHTUNG! URGENT!] GCC 5 TRANSITION, DO NOT DIST-UPGRADE or keep the pieces
https://release.debi...libstdc 6.html
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Um. we got that on Arch a long while back:

core/gcc 5.2.0-2 (base-devel)
The GNU Compiler Collection - C and C++ frontends

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Err back in Feburary of 2015: GCC 5 is coming with a massive rebuild

BTW it went very smoothly on Arch

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

Finding it hard to believe Debian development would be so far behind Arch, I had to delve into this further. I don't understand much of this but it seems GCC5 was released with dual ABI compatibility and packages could be built using either. I think the current Debian transition is to rebuild all packages to use the new ABI.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#5 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

Well gcc 5.2 was released in July: https://www.gnu.org/...ware/gcc/gcc-5/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gcc5, libstdc++6, debian, transition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users