• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

OK, as you all know, I run pure Debian Wheezy.

I got sick and tired of having the audio be flaky so I did the following to get rid of Pulse Audio:

in a true TTY command line as root:

apt-get update
apt-get remove pulse audio
apt-get alsa base
apt-get autoremove
reboot
apt-get upgrade

logged out of root and also in command line:

alsamixer

and set my settings.

Lots more available control now on the Mixer in the system tray area!

Yea!!!!

And no more stupid Pulse Audio tricks!!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Yes, I absolutely hate Pulse Audio with a passion. I always disable (or remove if I can) and install the good ole tried and true Alsa.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Me too! I truly gave it a try. But it is just not ready for prime time and I am frustrated that so many distros are using it as the default.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Agreed :thumbsup:

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Pulse Audio, brought to you by the same lead developer as systemd.
Are you frightened yet?

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Yes!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,311 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Piss Audio is just bad. ALSA is always the way to go in GNU/Linux.

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

Totally agree!

I have been around long enough to remember the 'lag' that used to happen when the Alsa audio server first started, but at least it worked right! Unlike Pulse Audio!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,311 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Somewhere around here there is a thread where Bruno and I are pulling our hair out trying to find out how to fix some issue I was having with Pulse Audio in some distro that I don't even remember now (not Slackware). We finally gave up. I purged the distro of all things Pulse Audio and enabled ALSA. That was the best solution of all; something which Bruno recommended from the beginning, but I have a hard-headed streak sometimes. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 16 May 2014 - 05:12 PM, said:

We finally gave up. I purged the distro of all things Pulse Audio and enabled ALSA. That was the best solution of all; something which Bruno recommended from the beginning, but I have a hard-headed streak sometimes. ;)
Boy, does that sound familiar. I don't think you are alone in that around these here parts.
I've been fighting with an internet only sound problem off and on for about 4 months. Mostly off, just couldn't get motivated to track it down and whip it.
Today was the day, apparently.

Looking through my notes, not very organized but they do exist, I found that I had installed Pulse Audio while trying to set up Steam. That is when the entire problem started.

I uninstalled everything Pulse and Steam related. No joy.
I started looking at multiple versions of flash/flashplugin and thinking here is the problem.
I uninstalled the 32 bit flashplugin.
Finally remembered that Chrome(ium) and Firefox both ship with internal support for flash and uninstalled the 64 bit flashplugin.

Yay! I have sound on the browser again.

If I get brave, I might re-install Steam. But I don't know why, I don't use it much.

REGLUE

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#11 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,311 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Well, seems as though you've accomplished something today in spite of yourself. ;)

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, I finally had just had it with Pulse Audio on the computer where I do a lot of audio and video. It's just not worth the aggravation.

I will likely do the same with my other two Debian Wheezy installs as well. I can almost guarantee it. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:17 PM

View Postamenditman, on 16 May 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Boy, does that sound familiar. I don't think you are alone in that around these here parts.
I've been fighting with an internet only sound problem off and on for about 4 months. Mostly off, just couldn't get motivated to track it down and whip it.
Today was the day, apparently.

Looking through my notes, not very organized but they do exist, I found that I had installed Pulse Audio while trying to set up Steam. That is when the entire problem started.
If I get brave, I might re-install Steam. But I don't know why, I don't use it much.

Odd as steam does not require pulseaudio at all (I use steam all the time and do not have pulse installed):

comhack@Cerberus ~ % pacman -Qi steam
Name    : steam
Version : 1.0.0.47-2
Description : Digital distribution client bootstrap package
Architecture   : x86_64
URL : http://steampowered.com/
Licenses    : custom
Groups : None
Provides    : None
Depends On : bash  desktop-file-utils  hicolor-icon-theme  curl  dbus  freetype2  gdk-pixbuf2  ttf-font  zenity  lib32-libgl  lib32-gcc-libs  lib32-libx11
Optional Deps  : lib32-ati-dri: for open source ATI driver users
lib32-catalyst-utils: for AMD Catalyst users
lib32-intel-dri: for open source Intel driver users
lib32-nouveau-dri: for Nouveau users
lib32-nvidia-utils: for NVIDIA proprietary blob users
lib32-flashplugin: for flash video [installed]
lib32-alsa-plugins [installed]

Required By : None
Optional For   : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces    : None
Installed Size : 2282.00 KiB
Packager    : Daniel Wallace <danielwallace at gtmanfred dot com>
Build Date : Tue 22 Apr 2014 08:27:16 PM CDT
Install Date   : Wed 23 Apr 2014 10:45:44 AM CDT
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Validated By   : Signature

#14 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

I didn't say it was required, just that I installed for some unknown reason when installing Steam.
The beginning of all sound related problems = Pulse Audio.

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#15 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

View Postamenditman, on 17 May 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

I didn't say it was required, just that I installed for some unknown reason when installing Steam.
The beginning of all sound related problems = Pulse Audio.

Ah ok B)

#16 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

Strangely I haven't had major problems with Pulse Audio at all in any mainstream distros I've installed (like Mint.) With Arch you just use ALSA anyway - although I had trouble there even with ALSA, because my video card kept trying to install a HD driver that stepped on the basic sound module in my old PC. As far as Steam goes, I have that on a Windows machine.

Edited by raymac46, 20 May 2014 - 02:03 PM.

Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#17 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,311 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

See! I knew there was at least one person in the world who had no issues with Pulse Audio. ;)

Me too... Steam on MS Windows. :yes:

#18 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

howto rm pulse.? Without wrecking anything
Linux counter no . 393441

#19 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

What Distro are you using? I gave instructions at the beginning of this topic for Debian/apt-get based systems.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

On Arch I use pacman to find all installed pulse audio files and dependencies.
Then deleted them. Easy peasy.

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#21 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm on Squeeze. Will it work the same as on Wheezy. prolly a skewpid ?

#22 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

I get all audio except Skype echo/test service . No sound. I can raise the Alsa mixer , capture +1+ 2  no adjustment.input source ditto head.. the same..

Edited by Capt.Crow, 20 May 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Maybe use your package manager to remove Skype and then reinstall Skype.

Skype is not as smart as it used to be, or as smart as it thinks it is. Maybe it didn't get the message about the audio server change?

Don't forget to delete any dot files/folders related to Skype in your home after removing Skype.

You might even be able to close Skype fully and remove the dot files/folders and reopen Skype and get it to re-read your system for audio.

It's a thought...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

Skye can and does work just fine with alsa.

#25 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

Got it working now .Thanks for the help :luck:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pulse audio, linux, debian, wheezy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users