"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

The only Windows 8 machine I've worked with had an AMD A8 quad core mobile APU and 8 GB of RAM. I was quite impressed with the speed and performance once I got rid of Metro with the Classic Shell add-in. Boot time was pretty good, and it was snappy. The machine was new. No time to slow down yet.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#3 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,517 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 27 February 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

is windows 8.1 really slow for all users

Well it is very slow to sell. :breakfast:

:hysterical:

#4 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 27 February 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

is windows 8.1 really slow for all users

Well it is very slow to sell. :breakfast:
hey , don't snark. W8.1 has outsold msVista
:ermm: okay snark away
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#5 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

^^
that.

it may seem slow due to its unfamiliar interface, plus the wrong 1/2 (the useless portion) of the interface is shoved in your face at boot-up.

edit
my that was pointing at the slow to sell comment.
and, lol, it did indeed finally pass vista up some short weeks ago.

Edited by Temmu, 27 February 2014 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

View Postcrp, on 27 February 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

My impression is that everything but Microsoft Bob (wasn't that the name of that insane thing back in the 90s?) outsold Windows Vista.
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

View Postebrke, on 27 February 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

My impression is that everything but Microsoft Bob (wasn't that the name of that insane thing back in the 90s?) outsold Windows Vista.
'Bob' wasn't an OS, it was a 'skin'.
My guess would be WinME is the least seller of the msWin OS's.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,517 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

I doubt Windows ME outsold Vista.

#9 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

Windows ME is still for sale!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ad09b8d7a

:P

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Well with Windows 8.2 and Windows 9 possibly coming this year I for one will not be jumping on the Windows 8.1 ship.

:whistling:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

I'm pretty sure Vista outsold Windows ME. ME was an evolution of Windows 98, not really a new release. And there were a lot fewer PCs out there back then.
ME was strictly a home user edition and only sold for about a year.
Those were the days - 512 MB RAM was massive, 56K dial-up, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, discrete audio and video, AGP, IDE...

Edited by raymac46, 28 February 2014 - 09:20 AM.

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

View Postcrp, on 27 February 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

:ermm: okay snark away

Well, since they both (Vista and Windows 8.1) only have garnered about 3-4% each of Windows users, that's not saying much. Windows XP still garners nearly 30% all by itself. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#13 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

View Postraymac46, on 28 February 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure Vista outsold Windows ME. ME was an evolution of Windows 98, not really a new release. And there were a lot fewer PCs out there back then.
ME was strictly a home user edition and only sold for about a year.
Those were the days - 512 MB RAM was massive, 56K dial-up, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, discrete audio and video, AGP, IDE...
Most computers in the ME days maxed out at 64mb of RAM.  And HDD's were measured in MBs rather than GBs. :shifty:  Today's PCs have orders of magnitude more power than those of the late 90s. but Windows today is just as slow as it was then. :'(

Edited by lewmur, 28 February 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

View Postlewmur, on 28 February 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Most computers in the ME days maxed out at 64mb of RAM.  And HDD's were measured in MBs rather than GBs. :shifty:  Today's PCs have orders of magnitude more power than those of the late 90s. but Windows today is just as slow as it was then. :'(
by 1999 harddrives were sold by the GBs and most pc's RAM maxed out well above 64mb (not so long ago was looking through ads in magazines from 98-00). We have W2K pc's still in operation at work and I can tell you that XP , W7 and W8 are way faster than W2K.

#15 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

When drives first went larger, the sizes were not supported within the OSes and the drives had to be partitioned with smaller partitions with tools from the manufacturers to sizes that were supported. It wasn't until Windows 2000 that the tools were available within Windows to do something better with partitioning. In the 90s drives were typically below 1GB if you remember.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#16 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

View Postcrp, on 28 February 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

by 1999 harddrives were sold by the GBs and most pc's RAM maxed out well above 64mb (not so long ago was looking through ads in magazines from 98-00). We have W2K pc's still in operation at work and I can tell you that XP , W7 and W8 are way faster than W2K.
Things changed quickly but 1998 is still the "late 90's" and Win98 machines were as I described.  And I can remember the hassle it was to get people to change from w2k to XP because w2k ran so much better.  Just try running XP SP3 with only 512mb of RAM but that was more than enough for w2k.  If you have machines that you feel are "way faster" the your w2k one, take a look at the hardware specs on the "faster" machines.  I bet you dollars to doughnuts they are not even close.

Edited by lewmur, 28 February 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

View Postlewmur, on 28 February 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Just try running XP SP3 with only 512mb of RAM
I remember working on a PC about 7 years ago that was running XP (Service Pack 2 I believe) with only 64 mb of RAM :teehee:  .

#18 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 28 February 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

When drives first went larger, the sizes were not supported within the OSes and the drives had to be partitioned with smaller partitions with tools from the manufacturers to sizes that were supported. It wasn't until Windows 2000 that the tools were available within Windows to do something better with partitioning. In the 90s drives were typically below 1GB if you remember.
I thought you people were old enough to remember Y2k. Anyway, I was on the 'front lines' so to speak (really need a better term for that) during Y2K on both hardware and software and worked at MSFT during the period. By late '98 companies were buying new pcs by the droves and in '99 it was just a massive wave of buying new pcs, all of which were significantly faster than mid-90s pc (and this was when WinME was being sold).
A major problem wasn't just the disk sizes, it was also the CPU speeds and amount of RAM. Lots of programs were not able to handle the new resources.
One of the favorite tricks we used was when person called up with a certain error message and we would go "how do you like your new pc?" and they go "how did you know?" :)

Edited by crp, 28 February 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

View Postcrp, on 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

I thought you people were old enough to remember Y2k. Anyway, I was on the 'front lines' so to speak (really need a better term for that) during Y2K on both hardware and software and worked out at MSFT during the period. :)...
I built my first computer in 1978, so I've "been on the front lines" a lot longer than that.  I was in the business even before B. Gates made his infamous remark that "no one will ever need more than 1mb or memory".

#20 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

My Win ME machine was a Dell Dimension 4100 - Pentium III 1 GHz. I spec'd it with 128 MB of RAM and soon added a second 128 MB module. The HDD was 40GB as I recall. Discrete audio, video and Ethernet cards. When I upgraded to XP I bought a couple of 256 MB SDRAM modules and maxed her out to 512MB. That machine kept me going until 2008 when a Pentium D 840 Dell Optiplex replaced it.
These Dimension 4100s were great Linux Machines.
Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

And man is it ever easy to get that crapware these days. I had what I thought was a useful little app called Battery Care on my laptop. The latest "update" comes with a pile of Conduit Search crap. Battery Care is now gonzo.
Some days I wonder is it's worth running Windows at all. If you don't pay for Windows software, 90% of the time crapware comes with it.
Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, it's a mess! I run NoScript on Firefox and it helps to prevent a lot of that crapware.

Sadly many people don't want the inconvenience of running an extension like NoScript. To me it's a must.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

raymac46, when you download things for Windows, be very careful where you get them from.
Here is BatteryCare from MajorGeeks
http://www.majorgeek...atterycare.html
click one of the links under downloads that says Download@MajorGeeks and it will be clean - guaranteed!

If you find something that sounds interesting, start here http://www.majorgeeks.com/
scroll down until you see the search box in the left pane under the Files categories and type it in.

Avoid CNet for any downloads.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Definitely Liz! Getting things from known safe locations like MajorGeeks, BleepingComputer, and the developer's sites is definitely very important.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,147 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Even Sourceforge started bundling junkware with Windows downloads, so do not download Windows programs from there.
http://www.ghacks.ne...ds-with-adware/
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users