Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:29 PM

Get it while it lasts...:unsure: http://www.download....4-10421507.html

#2 OFFLINE   Neil P

Neil P

Resident Pyromaniac

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:43 PM

I thought you meant it was the ad-supported version, but there is a link to a free registration code.Awesome  :unsure:

#3 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

Got it!
James M. Fisher

#4 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

I thought you meant it was the ad-supported version
Nope, that's why I said "full version".BTW, I don't plan on installing it today.  I assume the key is good for any time I wish to install it?

#5 OFFLINE   Neil P

Neil P

Resident Pyromaniac

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

epp_b, on Aug 30 2005, 04:17 PM, said:

Nope, that's why I said "full version".BTW, I don't plan on installing it today.  I assume the key is good for any time I wish to install it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, yeah  :unsure: But even after going to the site, it said FREE, or something similar...and I still thought it was the ad-supported version, until I saw the link at the bottom.I'd imagine that the code lasts for longer than one day, you just have to get it today, which you clearly already have. Of course, I'm speculating :hysterical:

#6 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:28 PM

I was wondering how that key works? Is it just the same key they are giving out, over & over? Otherwise, the 'Net would be flooded with keys for the next 300 years.Maybe they are considering going the 'donation-ware' route with IE7 looming....  :unsure:
James M. Fisher

#7 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

Cool.  I got 2 reg codes, just in case, and they are different.  Even though it asks for an email address it doesn't email the code to you - the reg code might be coded to the address you enter so make sure you remember if you give them a throwaway address.

Edited by Webb, 30 August 2005 - 04:35 PM.

The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#8 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

Thanks I got it also. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#9 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

I saw the same thread over at the Fatwallet forums and decided to try it out to see what the hype was.It does seem to be faster than both IE and FF but it doesn't support Roboform - which for me is a major deal breaker.  Between IE & FF, that gives me enough of a choice so I really don't see myself using Opera if at all.

#10 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:01 PM

Opera was a similar built-in tool called "Wand".  :thumbsup:
James M. Fisher

#11 OFFLINE   JerryM

JerryM

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

I have FF, NS, and IE (some sites seem to require IE and that is all I use it for.) What does Opera do better or instead of FF for instance?I did DL it and got a key, but have not installed it.Thanks,Jerry

#12 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

JerryM, on Aug 30 2005, 08:18 PM, said:

I have FF, NS, and IE (some sites seem to require IE and that is all I use it for.)What does Opera do better or instead of FF for instance?I did DL it and got a key, but have not installed it.Thanks,Jerry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some say it is faster than Firefox. I installed it and am playing around with it but Opera will never replace Firefox as my default browser. My advice would be to give it a shot, you can DL skins for it (themes) extensions..etc. It is a tad different than Firefox and the speed increase if any is negligible. But the price was right. :thumbsup:

#13 OFFLINE   JerryM

JerryM

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

Gary, on Aug 30 2005, 09:23 PM, said:

Some say it is faster than Firefox. I installed it and am playing around with it but Opera will never replace Firefox as my default browser. My advice would be to give it a shot, you can DL skins for it (themes) extensions..etc. It is a tad different than Firefox and the speed increase if any is negligible. But the price was right. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Gary. I think I will do that, and I assume it is not hard to uninstall if I do not like it.Jerry

#14 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

It is not like IE, just use the add remove programs section in the CP. I will keep it at least untill I tire of it or I start to like it better than Firefox but I doubt it as I have been using FF since it was called Phoenix.

#15 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

Gary,Please let me/us know how you like it.  Like most experimental software I won't get a chance to play with it until a good long weekend (like Labor Day) comes along.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#16 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

Webb, on Aug 30 2005, 09:30 PM, said:

Gary,Please let me/us know how you like it.  Like most experimental software I won't get a chance to play with it until a good long weekend (like Labor Day) comes along.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will Do.

#17 OFFLINE   redmaledeer

redmaledeer

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:12 AM

Thanks,  epp_b,  for the quick notice.   How secure is Opera vs. FF and IE?

#18 OFFLINE   havnblast

havnblast

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:33 AM

Opera is quick about fixing anything if there is a need toI didn't care for Opera till Opera 8 came out, very nice

#19 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:49 AM

How secure is Opera vs. FF and IE?
Against IE, there is no contest.  Compared to FF, I think it's probably about the same.

#20 OFFLINE   RD1

RD1

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

Does anyone know how to relocate Opera's disc cache?Never mind... I found it.  There is no option to move the disc cache folder but, this line can be added to opera6.ini in your profile.[User Prefs]Cache Directory4=path_to_desired_cache_location

Edited by RD1, 31 August 2005 - 10:31 AM.

#21 OFFLINE   JerryM

JerryM

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:45 PM

So far I like it a lot, and I think better than FF or NS. I like the way it returns to the last sites when you start up. I had some problem trying to learn how to open multiple tabs, but when I did I like it.Is this version the same as the paid version?Thanks.Jerry

#22 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Forum Fiend

• No Longer a Member
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

JerryM, on Aug 31 2005, 01:45 PM, said:

So far I like it a lot, and I think better than FF or NS. I like the way it returns to the last sites when you start up. I had some problem trying to learn how to open multiple tabs, but when I did I like it.Is this version the same as the paid version?Thanks.Jerry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it is. B)

#23 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

If you missed the deadline you may still be able to get it.  Download the file from Download.com and get a free code from http://my.opera.com/...y/party/reg.dml  If the link is dead the party's over.

Edited by Webb, 31 August 2005 - 03:25 PM.

Posted Image
Jim

#24 OFFLINE   JerryM

JerryM

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

Gary, on Aug 31 2005, 02:49 PM, said:

Great. I wonder how I got such a good deal?Thanks, epp_b.Jerry

#25 OFFLINE   havnblast

havnblast

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

it lacks the adblock extension, I love that extension in Firefox otherwise I would use Opera more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users