Small tablet or other device for travelling?

JerryM

I recently took an airline trip, and wanted to go as light as reasonable. I did not have a return date, and took my laptop to make arrangements and other things. Although my laptop is a 14 inch ASUS by the time one gets the charger and cables it ends up heavier than I want to carry on in addition to the normal carry-bag.

I am wondering if something like a tablet or Chromebook would provide the ability to do a little surfing and if necessary to make reservations, etc?

I have a Kindle Fire, and it might be sufficient. Would something with a 10 inch screen like one of the Apples or Samsung tablet do the job in your judgment?

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Jerry

securitybreach

Well IMO a full sized laptop is too large and major inconvenience when traveling or on the go. I do not have any chromebooks but I do have a nice 10.1" netbook, a couple of laptops, a couple of 7" tablets and a nice new 5.9" phone.

If I had the money and wanted a full computer, not a tablet with a keyboard attachment, I would choose a nice chromebook, pop in a large ssd and install Linux. You get the very slim form factor with a touchscreen and it has enough ram and processing power to do actual computing.

Now if you simply want something for surfing the web and other mundane activities, a tablet would work fine although I would stay away from apple or samsung products. In my experiences, you will pay a lot more for less computing power if you buy one of their tablets. Personally, I think 10" tablets are still too large for a tablet. For a netbook, 10.1" is a nice formfactor as you are doing actual computer work but with a tablet and mobile apps, it just seems way too big IMO.

This is just my opinion and should be taken as such B)

Normal size ipad is unnoticeable in size or weight when mixed in with carry-on stuff. Add an 11" laptop for extra muscle because it's not big enough to cause much of a problem (for me at least). Not sure I'd want to travel with anything bigger in carry-on.

This is my latest laptop (convertible to tablet). It's easy to travel with but you do know you are carrying it around. Perfect size to fit on your lap without being too large. I find it so comfortable in normal mode I don't turn the screen around much.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering about security. On my Kindle I have Trend Micro which has shown up well on AV Comparatives. The Safe Money feature of KISS seems to add a measure of safety if using unsecured WiFi. Trend MIcro seems light on the Kindle, but not sure how KIS will be.

I appreciate the help.

Jerry

• Like 1

My favorite travel unit is a 12 inch Dell netbook from 2009 or so. It originally ran a special Dell version of Ubuntu but I now have Linux Mint Xfce on it. It works fine on most hotel wifi systems, and it has a keyboard which I find essential. It's also old and nobody would want to steal it.

Hello,

You mentioned you have a "normal carry bag."

Would it be possible to replace this with a backpack that allowed you to easily carry the notebook computer and its accessories?

I used to travel with a laptop in an over-the-shoulder case, and always ended up with sore shoulders after a day of travelling.

About 12-13 years ago I switched to a backpack, and since then I have been able to carry more without any discomfort since the weight is evenly balanced across my shoulders instead of on one side.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

securitybreach

Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering about security. On my Kindle I have Trend Micro which has shown up well on AV Comparatives. The Safe Money feature of KISS seems to add a measure of safety if using unsecured WiFi. Trend MIcro seems light on the Kindle, but not sure how KIS will be.

I appreciate the help.

Jerry

Well for security on android devices, I use Eset Mobile Security and Antivirus.

• Like 1

Eset is a viablel AV for the Android applications. I may go to it.

Hi Aryeh, I don't think a backpack would work well for me. Some years ago I had a staph infection that settled in my lumbar region and it messed my back up pretty badly. I can roll a small bag easier, although I always require assistance getting my connections due to the distance between gates and times. I am about to decide that the Kindle will do the "stuff" I need to do.

Thanks again,

Jerry

• Like 1

I have a 7" netbook running linux . Remember the eeepc from ASUS ? I've taken that on several cruises. Even if I have no internet access, the sd card in its slot has movies on it to keep us entertained.

I also have a 7" tablet running Android. I have ESET on it and also Malwarebytes, which is free in the googleplay store. I'd recommend getting this too.

We haven't made any long trips since I purchased the tablet but I'm sure it will travel well. Instead of taking 2 cameras, I'll take one camera and this tablet to take pictures. I also have a 32GB micro sd card in the slot that has about 23 movies on it.

Since I prefer a keyboard rather than the onscreen one in a tablet, I bought a foldable bluetooth keyboard. If you are good with onscreen typing, no need for that. My keyboard case also acts as a stand for my tablet.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Many folks prefer not to travel with a laptop due to dangers of losing it or having hard drives damaged etc.

And apparently iPads have done really well for folks and are not given much flack at airports.

Several friends suggest having one for travels at the very least.

I have thought of an iPad, but wonder what it would do that the Kindle would not do. One thing is that the Kindle only has a front camera, and if one wants photos it does not do well.

Jerry

if you already have a Fire, i'd take a light , inexpensive hybrid. that is what i do. Bouncing between the 2 gives me plenty of power, accessibility and play time.on my overseas flights. I'd go with inexpensive because if you go expensive you are going to want physical protection. Which will cause higher costs and take away the weight advantage.

Guest LilBambi

The iPad can play games, listen to music, surf the web, get email, take pictures and manipulate them, post them, edit them. Same with videos, and more.

Plus you can install Audible app, Kindle app, Nook app, and more.

As can most tablets really and as other tablets, in addition, you can use it to create and edit documents, etc. etc. Listen to your music library, listne to audio books of all kinds, watch youtube videos, more.

If I travel some in the future I think that one of the iPads would offer the most flexibility. Maybe one with a 10 inch screen. Prices vary a lot between the different iPads. I know essentially nothing about which ones are suitable.

Thanks for the information LilBambi.

Jerry

If I travel some in the future I think that one of the iPads would offer the most flexibility. Maybe one with a 10 inch screen. Prices vary a lot between the different iPads. I know essentially nothing about which ones are suitable.

Thanks for the information LilBambi.

Jerry

You can now get a good price on previously owned iPads in excellent condition but new ones are way overpriced for what you want. Unless you are a "I have to have the latest and greatest" type, you can get a 10", quad core tablet with an Antutu benchmark in the 20,000 range (much better than 2nd gen Nexus tablets) for less the $80. Couple that with an under $15 battery pack from eBay, that fits easily in a shirt or jacket pocket, that will power the tablet for longer than it would take to fly around the world, and you're set.

Actually, the 8" Kindle Fire, is a great deal.

Edited by lewmur

Thanks, lewmur,

I agree that the Apples are overpriced. I, the last hour, checked to see if I could schedule flights on my Kindle, and had no problems. Maybe that is all I need. I am not interested in the latest and greatest.:)

Thanks for the comment.

Frankly, I will do very little travelling in the future except for emergencies. With a bad back and at 83 I don't need to do much. If I do, however, I want to do it as easily as possible. In the latest case my son, 54, had to have a 7 vessel bypass. I had never heard of that many and the nurses hadn't either. So off to CA my wife of 61 years and I went. He is doing amazingly well.

Thanks again,

Jerry

http://www.amazon.co...n store tablets

Any knowledge on this one? Maybe too good to be true and really junk"

Thanks, Jerry

No. But that in itself says a lot. I represent about 400 seniors in my apartment complex as the "in-house guru" and I'm constantly evaluating tablets.

This one's "specs" leave me totally underwhelmed. Any tablet selling in that price range should have Android 5.0 at a minimum. If I'm paying that much for one, I'd also make sure it was represented in the xda developers forums. Samsung hasn't updated the ROM for their highend Galaxy Tab Pro in quite a while. But thanks the xda and CyanagenMod, I have been able to upgrade it to Lolipop 5.1 and they are currently working on Marshmellow 6.0.

In a nutshell, I wouldm't pay over $100 for anything running KitKat.

If you already have a Kindle Fire and you have no need to do heavy work related items while away , i say stand pat on the device front. You can get a "case" that comes with a keyboard and download an app to do remote desktop (there are many out there) and another app to throw your screen to a monitor (depending on which Fire you have , you might be able to directly connect a monitor).

Thankds, lewmu,

About what I expected.

You mentioned "10", quad core tablet with an Antutu benchmark in t

he 20,000 range (much better than 2nd gen Nexus tablets) for less the $80."

I did not find that on the web, but don't know what I am looking for.

crp, That is not a bad option. I have no problem doing without a keyboard.

Jerry

Edited by JerryM

Thankds, lewmu,

About what I expected.

You mentioned "10", quad core tablet with an Antutu benchmark in the 20,000 range (much better than 2nd gen Nexus tablets) for less the $80."

I did not find that on the web, but don't know what I am looking for.

Jerry

Don't have to buy online. WalMart has them. That way you can "see before you buy:.

securitybreach

Don't have to buy online. WalMart has them. That way you can "see before you buy:.

Actually most walmarts will not have those items in stock as they sell a lot more on their website than they carry in their stores. The tablets you will see in store will cost more and be from apple, samsung, etc. although they might have one or two of the cheaper ones. Also, I would stay away from any device that only has 1gb of ram as Android 5+ is hardly usable with that little of memory.

Actually most walmarts will not have those items in stock as they sell a lot more on their website than they carry in their stores. The tablets you will see in store will cost more and be from apple, samsung, etc. although they might have one or two of the cheaper ones. Also, I would stay away from any device that only has 1gb of ram as Android 5+ is hardly usable with that little of memory.

Hmmmm!!! You mean to tell me a retail store might have more items available online than to do in-house? How shocking!!! Of course one could always check to see what store has what before making a trip to the store.

I haven't found that Lollipop is that much more of a RAM hog than Kit Kat but I didn't suggest that an $80 tablet have Lollipop anyway. I said I wouldn't buy one that cost $180 (and lists for close to $300) that didn't have Lollipop. (And 2gb of RAM.)

securitybreach
I haven't found that Lollipop is that much more of a RAM hog than Kit Kat but I didn't suggest that an $80 tablet have Lollipop anyway. I said I wouldn't buy one that cost $180 (and lists for close to $300) that didn't have Lollipop. (And 2gb of RAM.)

Well my Nexus 7 from 2012 is quite sluggish on the stock Lollipop that google provided. It has a quad core cpu with 1gb of ram and very sluggish on a vanilla android os.