Ryzen 7 build

securitybreach

securitybreach

So I recently decided to update my aging system. I was running: i7 4790K with 32gb of Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 2400MHZ ram with a Nvidia 970 GTX.

I decided to go with AMD Ryzen this time around and I added liquid cooling with another 8tb hdd. Here is what I got:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 X470 Motherboard

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07CCHP1LD

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B428M7F/

Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 ram

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07HX3841Z

Western Digital Bare Drives WD Red 8TB

https://www.amazon.c...ct/B07D3MWMNZ/r

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B019954Y2Q

These will be installed into my current Thermaltake CHASER A71 Full ATX case with my EVGA GTX 970 and various other peripherals.

nNsp2fY.jpg AtGTXSO.jpg

This wasn’t my cleanest build but I am happy. (Yes, the top of the PSU is dusty and I just cleaned it).

• Like 3

securitybreach

Did you have MVME on the old system or did you reuse your SSD?

I reused all of my harddrives. I literally didn't have to do anything with the software side of things. I fiddled with the new bios but it was trying to boot archlinux out of the box and that is with 6 harddrives to choose from... It's been a few years since you had to reinstall Linux when you switched motherboards and processors. Usually, it sees everything perfectly. ****, Windows cannot do that..even with WIn 10's autodetection.

• Like 1

I have thought about my next Linux build and I think I'd go with one of those Ryzen 2 APUs. That's what I did last time - chose an APU and added in a cheap GPU later. They are "only" quad-core but I'm not rendering video or anything like that - not even PC gaming. At present my old Trinity based Piledriver APU is still chugging along and does fine for watching YouTube, surfing the net, office work and blogging. The only reason I added a GPU was that AMD didn't support the older APU graphics as well.

I want to wait until all the BIOS glitches are fixed on the motherboards though. Some of the older mobos didn't support the Ryzen 2 chips without an update.

I could reuse my GPU but if I had a powerful Ryzen CPU I'm sure it would be bottlenecked.

securitybreach

The only Ryzen CPUs with onboard video are the 2200 and 2400 series. Most Ryzen 2 chips do not come with onboard video.

AMD always confuses me with their numbering. The APUs are 2XXX although based on Ryzen 1 architecture. I'm sure they'll get around to an upgrade to Ryzen 2 eventually.

Ryzen 5 2400G would suit me I think.

Edited by raymac46

securitybreach

I moved the radiator on my liquid cooler to the back of the case and restored the top 240mm fan. This is my main rig's specs:

Cerberus

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 X470 Motherboard

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 watt GS 80+ GOLD Fully Modular Power Supply

Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 ram

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+ Cooling Graphics Card

Samsung - SF350 Series 2" LED FHD FreeSync Monitor @ 1920x1080

HP Z Display Z30i 30-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor @ 2560x1600

HP 27es 27" IPS LED HD Monitor @ 1920x1080

HP LA2306x 23" LCD Monitor @ 1920x1080

Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor @ 3840x2160

Custom DZ60 60% mechanical keyboard with cherry blue switches and cherry stablizers

Anker Ergonomic Optical USB Wired Vertical Mouse 1000/1600 DPI, 5 Buttons CE100

Logitech Speaker System Z323 with Subwoofer

Logitech H390 ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset with mic

Thermaltake CHASER A71 E-ATX Full Tower Window Gaming Computer Chassis

2x 1TB WD Caviar Black

2TB WD Green

3TB Seagate Barracuda

1.5TB Seagate FreeAgent

250GB Samsung 850 EVO-Series SSD -- / and /home

8TB WD Red

5TB Seagate Expansion

CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W AVR UPS

ArchLinux 64 Core -- i3

BAOu7sc.jpg

y3DVidY.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Build. ought to make a great gaming machine. I don't need anything with that much power. The onboard graphics is all I need. Thats why I choose the Rysen 2200G cpu with vesa graphics. Don't need a video card. going to order the stuff tonight, taking advantage of the sale which ends tomorrow.Mel

Edited by mhbell

securitybreach

Nice Build. ought to make a great gaming machine. I don't need anything with that much power. The onboard graphics is all I need. Thats why I choose the Rysen 2200G cpu with vesa graphics. Don't need a video card. going to order the stuff tonight, taking advantage of the sale which ends tomorrow.Mel

Well I do not game very much but I need the power for my workflow.. B)

I already had the video card.

Have you checked the power consumption? I'd be surprised if you come anywhere near even half the capacity of your PS. I have a Corsair 750i which has inbuilt monitoring via Corsair Link software. After some solid gaming sessions I checked it and peak was about 250W (1/3 of capacity). My graphics card is same as yours but there are several less HDs.

securitybreach

Have you checked the power consumption? I'd be surprised if you come anywhere near even half the capacity of your PS. I have a Corsair 750i which has inbuilt monitoring via Corsair Link software. After some solid gaming sessions I checked it and peak was about 250W (1/3 of capacity). My graphics card is same as yours but there are several less HDs.

Oh I know that my PSU is an overkill but I figured why not go big? After all, I do have 8 harddrives and six monitors attached to this computer along with some usb hubs with various peripherals attached. This way, I will never have to worry about power consumption.

I just checked my UPS and it shows the following with this rig, modem, router and 4 of the monitors connected. All values are Output:

118 V

60 Hz

0.225 kw

25% of capactity

19 minutes battery before automatic shutdown (using pwrstatd to cleanly shutdown with email notifications).

• 1 year later...

I have always used ASUS motherboards because of their top quality but sadly ASUS quality has dropped like a rock. I hope you have better luck than I did with ASUS because my computer build from last year the motherboard that started causing kernel panics after 11 months and about a month later the motherboard completely failed that the computer wouldn't even power up into the BIOS.

3 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Mine runs flawlessly. I even added a Asus ROG GTX 1070 to my build. Everything just works perfectly.

Mine did also for 11 months. I hope for your sake it keeps running like that.

securitybreach
12 minutes ago, Mauser said:

Mine did also for 11 months. I hope for your sake it keeps running like that.

The brand means very little when it comes to kernel panics. Just because you had an issue with a brand doesn't mean that it would happen to another person. There are many things that could lead to a kernel panic but a brand of hardware generally would not. Usually it is things like a kernel version, faulty ram, faulty drivers etc.

securitybreach

I have used Linux since the early 2000s and I have not heard of a brand of hardware causing kernel panics on their own. If it worked for 11 months, it was probably not the band of hardware that caused it to go out. It may of not even been the hardware that was causing the kernel panics. Some versions of the kernel do not play nicely with older hardware. There are lots of things that cause kernel panics but a brand isn't one of them.

I have used many Asus motherboards over the years and I have not had any issues with them.

6 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

The brand means very little when it comes to kernel panics. Just because you had an issue with a brand doesn't mean that it would happen to another person. There are many things that could lead to a kernel panic but a brand of hardware generally would not. Usually it is things like a kernel version, faulty ram, faulty drivers etc.

In my case it was the motherboard.

9 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I have used Linux since the early 2000s and I have not heard of a brand of hardware causing kernel panics on their own. If it worked for 11 months, it was probably not the band of hardware that caused it to go out. It may of not even been the hardware that was causing the kernel panics. Some versions of the kernel do not play nicely with older hardware. There are lots of things that cause kernel panics but a brand isn't one of them.

I have used many Asus motherboards over the years and I have not had any issues with them.

Neither have I until recently. I had 3 different previous computer builds all with ASUS motherboards with no issues.

Edited by Mauser

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, Mauser said:

In my case it was the motherboard.

Did you try other versions of Linux it other operating systems?

Just now, securitybreach said:

Did you try other versions of Linux it other operating systems?

Yes, when it happened it was on Xubuntu 18.04LTS, then I went back to MX Linux 19 and the same thing. Eventually the computer wouldn't start at all. It wouldn't even start to get into the BIOS. No O.S. would make a difference. I also didn't like that ASUS posts false specs claiming the motherboard has RAID 0, 1, 10. I even called ASUS support which it took 8 phone calls to tell me it doesn't have RAID. I had always used ASUS in the past. One of the ASUS motherboards I was running a RAID 0 and a RAID 1. The last ASUS motherboard I had was an unpleasant experience. I hope in your case yours doesn't fail.