Mozilla and Firebird Profiles

KarlT

In Windows, the profiles are listed under Windows|Application Data|Phoenix| . . . for Firebird, and similarly for Mozilla.But when I do a file search in Linux, it appears that it should be under home|karl|phoenix . . . (or Mozilla) but there is no such thing under my home directory when I look there. . . So where are they? I see that weird string of alpha-numeric characters that are used for identities listed when I do a search, and it indicates that they should be in my home|karl, but they are not there when I search thru home|karl.Thanks,Karl

It's a hidden directory. Note the 'dot' before the name. If navigating from a console tab completion is your friend.Mozilla/home/your_username/.mozilla/profile_name/salted_directory.slt/Firebird/home/your_username/.phoenix/profile_name/salted_directory.slt/(the profile name is usually "default".)tranquilo

Mine's here:file:/home/jeber/firebird/MozillaFirebird/defaults/profileI can't tell with the icons I'm using if it's a hidden file or not, but just check "show hidden files" in Konqueror if they don't show. I have that checked as default.

Your profile is not there. Mozilla and Firebird do not store user data within the application directory. What you are looking at are the default files that Firebird uses to create the initial (and any new) profiles.There should be a .phoenix directory within your /home/username directory. Mozilla should be located in a similar hidden directory, .mozilla.hthtranquilo

OK, thank you. I noticed the . in front of the files found, but I did not realize that that meant that they were hidden and I did not know how to find hidden files. Now that I have checked to show hidden files, there they all are! Another mystery that was driving me nuts solved.Great, and thank you.Karl :thumbsup:

I'd still like to know why the PCWorld guy found "peace" when running Linux. But maybe it is just because I am older and my nerves more easily frazzled than when I started windows . . . :thumbsup: Karl

nlinecomputers

I just got back from a client that was so choked on viruses and spyware as to barely function. Took 3 HOURS to remove all the crap. Part of that was a stupid end-user and part of that is just because Windows makes it so easy for such crapware to autointall and load. I'm constantly having to purge peoples system of that kind of crap. That is what peace I think the PCMag guy is refering to. You are just having to overcome the learning curve. Try that AND fight the internet as well. Winodws computers were so much more fun 4 years ago. Now they are a real pain.

I just got back from a client that was so choked on viruses and spyware as to barely function.  Took 3 HOURS to remove all the crap.  Part of that was a stupid end-user and part of that is just because Windows makes it so easy for such crapware to autointall and load.  I'm constantly having to purge peoples system of that kind of crap.  That is what peace I think the PCMag guy is refering to.  You are just having to overcome the learning curve.  Try that AND fight the internet as well.  Winodws computers were so much more fun 4 years ago.  Now they are a real pain.
Ouch.Well look on the good side. It does keep you busy on paying gigs.