Unique Lighthouses

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I thought it would be fun to look for unique lighthouse images from around the world.

Here's one in Connecticut: New London Ledge Lighthouse, Connecticut

4106705171_e954e96ee6.jpg

New London Ledge Lighthouse is a lighthouse in Connecticut, United States, on theThames River, at the mouth of New London Harbor in Groton, Connecticut

New London Ledge Lighthouse was built in 1909 on the Southwest Ledge. It was originally called the Southwest Ledge light, but it was felt this could be confused with another lighthouse in New Haven, the Southwest Ledge Light, so in 1910 the lighthouse was renamed to New London Ledge Light. The United States Coast Guard took over in 1939 upon its merger with the Lighthouse Service and the light was automated in 1987. The original fourth order Fresnel lens was removed and was later put on display in the Custom House Maritime Museum. In 1990 the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Much more in the Wikipedia article.

There are some awesome lighthouses around the world. Have one of interest?

Guest LilBambi

It really does Temmu! It is a unique style of lighthouse since it is out in the water and not on an island; just built up on a concrete pier and of course being on the 'shelf' it's not as deep as it looks out in the middle of the water, but it looks so surreal!

Guest LilBambi

Beautiful, Corrine!

When I was growing up, it was this one (not very unique either) that I was all excited about since it was ours too:

2352833105_0d0933be1f_z.jpg

It's actually a state park. Click the picture to go to the page about the Barnegat Lighthouse. Some scary ghost stories about the Barnegat Lighthouse too. Of course that doesn't make it unique either among lighthouses. There are scary stories obout the one in New London CT I posted too.