you are not going to believe what I got W10 to install on

crp

I have a similarly specd netbook (Toshiba NB305) and I went to Linux on it when I got it free from my neighbor. With a cheap SSD it is a pretty nice travel unit although it only supports a max of 2 GB RAM.

My backup netbook is an MSI from roughly the same era, also got an Atom processor and 2G of ram. As well as Slackware & Debian, It still has the original version of W7 Starter it came with. Sluggish as <censored> though, alway was - that's why I inherited the thing.

@crp, how is your machine actually handling 10?

My backup netbook is an MSI from roughly the same era, also got an Atom processor and 2G of ram. As well as Slackware & Debian, It still has the original version of W7 Starter it came with. Sluggish as <censored> though, alway was - that's why I inherited the thing.

This has an Atom 1.66mhz with 1G RAM. It is running quite well actually. I have not made any changes to the stock installation yet. The startup time is slightly longer than W7's but the start menu has a 5 second lag. Hopefully that will go away when i get ClassicShell (or something similiar) installed. The few programs i have on it still run , same speed if not a smidgen quicker. Oddly, battery life seems better.

Big Question - Cortona. If i can get it to work well, i'd have a quite good Amazon Echo type device for my purposes.

• Like 1

This has an Atom 1.66mhz with 1G RAM. It is running quite well actually. I have not made any changes to the stock installation yet. The startup time is slightly longer than W7's but the start menu has a 5 second lag. Hopefully that will go away when i get ClassicShell (or something similiar) installed. The few programs i have on it still run , same speed if not a smidgen quicker. Oddly, battery life seems better.

Big Question - Cortona. If i can get it to work well, i'd have a quite good Amazon Echo type device for my purposes.

Neat! I'd have assumed things to be worse. There's no start menu lag on my machine, but plenty of it elsewhere. MS office 2010 was unbearable, even OpenOffice is a bit on the slow side. Could be the difference between a clean install, and one that's been on there since the thing rolled off the assembly line.

• 1 month later...

and the answer is ...........................

Nope. The microphone is just not of good enough quality for Cortonna to understand anything. I was thinking about getting an external microphone but with the 2nd generation Echo Dot being available to all for $50 , i have decided to avoid the headaches and just get an Echo Dot.

and the answer is ...........................

Nope. The microphone is just not of good enough quality for Cortonna to understand anything. I was thinking about getting an external microphone but with the 2nd generation Echo Dot being available to all for $50 , i have decided to avoid the headaches and just get an Echo Dot.

Just looked up the Echo Dot and it is a neat bit of kit. Adding one to your speakers sounds cool. :breakfast: