Next PC will be a Mac

LLfan

OK, I'm a closet Mac fan--my old Performa575 was decent but always malfunctioned so I have never had a good appreciation for the PPC. However, with my recent playing with OSX I've decided maybe it's time to give it a go again.I've put a lot into my PC which runs XP Pro, Mandrake, and SuSE (thanks to Bruno and the gurus in the ATL forum) so basically I'm looking for a Mac to play with. No need for high end, just something that will run OSX smoothly.I'm totally new to the PPC scene so all your fancy iThis and Gthat talk will mean nothing to me. :D Looking to spend as little as possible.Thanks all,Mike

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLfan

• Arena2045

• SonicDragon

• BrianT1701

BrianT1701

I knew you'd come out the closet someday..... :D You know that my next purchase is going to be a Mac....if only that day would come. I think you need atleast a G3 to run OSX. How smoothly that would be..I am not sure. A few months ago I was looking at the Blueberry G3's and the price wasn't too bad....200-400 dollars. That seems to be the thing with Mac's even if they are a bit old with enough RAM they can run new software fairly well...atleast that is what I've seen..on the 3 old Mac's I own. Tho, the highest OS I've been able to run is 9.1, on my 7500(not a G3)...but it has a 200mhz processor and let me say it performed almost as fast when surfing the web and such as my 450mhz pc does(on dial-up)

Brian is right... Mac's have a long useful life... it's amazing what can run OS X. You can get OS X 10.2 to run on a Blueberry iMac with enough RAM, but it's going to be slow.I would say, if you want to get a used one, get one that's at least over 500 or 600 MHz.Visit http://www.apple-history.com/ (it will give you an overview of each models specs) they have a almost complete (not updated recently) list of Apple hardware. If you are going used, I say any iMac from iMac SE (see year 2001) and higher.If you want to spend a little extra for something that will last for years:From Apple's Special Deals page on their store:

Refurbished eMacs  Units subject to stringent refurbishment process prior to sale. eMac 1GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/E/56K - Refurbished $799.00 eMac 1GHz/128MB/40GB/Combo/56K - Refurbished $599.00
Also, if you are looking for used, if you see an "eMac" that is within your price range, I would spring for that unless you find a better iMac. eMacs are more recent (since 2002).

Honestly, that is a little below the price range I was thinking so thanks! I'll be willing to fork out $1500 or so if it will make for a smoother ride.What about this:http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generat...8689ll%2Fa-ref#Or if it's worth the extra:G5 from the sourceThe question there is, I can't stand flat panel screens--love my ViewSonics. Can I use a Viewsonic with it?Thanks for all the help! I'm probably going to go out to the local mac store Thursday to play with the different ppcs and see what I like, what I don't, and will be back to report on my experience. :D

SonicDragon

You can get a pretty well configured 15" iMac for around 1500. However, the LCD is built in, so it would sort of be a waste if you were to use a different display. You can get a good iBook for that price too.

I like the idea of an iBook since my old laptop is a 233mhz brick.Will have to talk to the mac guy about getting it hooked up and what hardware I will need.Thanks all for your opinions, will report in tomorrow sometime with my opinions on what I saw at the store.Mike :D

I think an iBook would be great; considering you have an older laptop, an iBook would let you get into the Mac experience and have a recent laptop also...

I love my Mac, and wish I could take it with me where ever I go; thats why I'm planning on getting an iBook this August if I get an IT/Webmaster position at a local high school.

Here's a question...As you all know, bought an iPod--love it, love it--and have purchased 20 or so songs as well as importing about 30cds. Of course this has all been done via my PC.Is there a simple way to pull my music off the iPod and place it on the new ppc? Basically a sync but in reverse. =)

Here's a question...As you all know, bought an iPod--love it, love it--and have purchased 20 or so songs as well as importing about 30cds.  Of course this has all been done via my PC.Is there a simple way to pull my music off the iPod and place it on the new ppc?  Basically a sync but in reverse. =)
This is tricky since your iPod is formatted for a PC... The first time you connect an iPod to a system it makes it either PC or Mac... This is what I would suggest. If you can, burn your music files on your PC to a CD or DVD. Then when you get your Mac, take the songs off the CD/DVD and add them to the iTunes library (very easy to do).Once you have your songs over, you can then restore your iPod and it will work on your Mac... Set it up to sync with your Mac library and presto you got your music on your iPod.You however might not have to do that. I know that my iPod will not sync with my PC, but I'm not sure if your PC iPod will sync with a Mac. I'm using my iPod as a hard drive as well as for music so I can't try it out.If the Mac will read a PC iPod, there are software programs that will pull music off an iPod. Look at my Fav Mac Apps thread, look for iPodRip. (again that all depends on if the Mac can read a PC formatted iPod.)Does any of that make sense?

Time to report in...Went down to the local 'Mac Guys' here and had loads of fun playing with a 12" iBook, 12" and 15" Powerbooks, a G4 and a G5 all of which rocked!They did not have a 14" iBook on display (they said they never sell--can't imagine why) so I will have to go to Frys Electronics and hope they have one on display. I think I'm sold on the 14" (as the 12 was too small for me).• 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display• 1GHz PowerPC G4• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,449.00(I opted to upgrade the ram as a couple articles I have read said OSX will function better with more RAM (big revelation) but if I do plan on upgrading the OS I think I will be better off with 512.Not bad and right in the range I wanted. And if I really really love it, maybe this time next year instead of upgrading my PC with the latest and greatest cpu/mobo/video card maybe I'll pick up a G5.=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=The powerbooks look a bit more professional and weigh less...oh, and don't get me started on the light sensor which illuminates the keyboard when dark :) but just too pricy for a laptop...especially when I plan on using it as a secondary computer on trips.So barring some unforseen disgust when I check out the iBook at Fry's I think it's a much more reasonable buy.Added...The one thing I did not like is the limited resolution of 1024. I am used to my 1280 so it's going to take some getting used to. Also another downer is unlike the powerbook I cannot hook up a CRT and use it as additional deskspace.

SonicDragon

Just another thought to add here.Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference (WWDC) is on June 28, just over 30 days away. New apple products usually come out of that, so you may want to wait a month to make your purchase. :hmm: I know that sounds painful... but it's just something to consider. I'm not saying that they'll have totally new iBooks or anything like that, maybe just an updated iLife or some other new program that they developed? No one seems to know very much about what they are going to do :lol:

Just another thought to add here.Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference (WWDC) is on June 28, just over 30 days away. New apple products usually come out of that, so you may want to wait a month to make your purchase.  :hmm: I know that sounds painful... but it's just something to consider. I'm not saying that they'll have totally new iBooks or anything like that, maybe just an updated iLife or some other new program that they developed? No one seems to know very much about what they are going to do  :lol:
Wait a month! Are you--oh, wait, I get it. You must be on that...what's it called again--oh yeah, the sauce. :lol: Thanks for the heads up, might be a good idea...think maybe even a new release of OSx is coming soon? I'm very impatient and usually demand instant gratification, but I'm not foolish when it comes to money and don't plan on upgrading for a long while so maybe I shall wait.hm...now I'm off to go research iLife...

SonicDragon
Thanks for the heads up, might be a good idea...think maybe even a new release of OSx is coming soon?
They will annouce the new version (10.4 AKA Tiger) there, but not release it. A release date isn't known yet, but if i were to put my money on it, i'd bet it'll be around the holiday season? Keep in mind that is only a guess though. iLife - Via apple.com

Yeah, checked out iLife at apple.com and nothing but the iMovie intrigued me. If there isn't going to be a new release of the OS I may just go out and buy the iBook and eat the cost of 1 app upgrade as that will probably be all I see.I am curious as I have been researching and thought of this...For the PC, when I break it (which I often do) I can always reformat and be back to square one. However there is a fabulous program from Acronis called True Image that cloned drives, made backups, and had an easy interface to restore from. I took a look at Arena2045's software thread and there seems to be 2 apps listed with similar properties: Personal Backup X and Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3. Which do you recommend as I would like to do this before I add any software and make any changes.Thanks,Mike

SonicDragon

I don't know about either of those programs, but i just realized something. In your list of specs, you didn't include the AirPort Extreme Card. Your going to need that if you want built in wireless.

SonicDragon

Actually... your current set up (with the Airport Extreme card) is only 50 dollars less than the 1.2 Ghz iBook• 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)• AirPort Extreme Card• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display• 1.2GHz PowerPC G4• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,599.00

Went over to Fry's and they had the 14" iBook! Looks good, though I'm a bit distrought at the max resolution of 1024.Anyways, thanks all will let you know if I give into temptation and pick the notebook up. Hopefully Arena will be able to answer my backup question.

BrianT1701
Went over to Fry's and they had the 14" iBook!  Looks good, though I'm a bit distrought at the max resolution of 1024.Anyways, thanks all will let you know if I give into temptation and pick the notebook up.
Please give in...because then you'll tempt me...and maybe push me over temptations edge.

Ok... some facts... Tiger is going to be announced, but will more than likely NOT be released this year, prob Summer 05 or Holiday 05. Apple announced that they are not going to be doing the a major OS update every year like the last 3 OS X updates.If you don't wait, Apple usually is generous to recent new purchases, and would allow you to get an upgrade of what ever app (if it comes included with your system) at a small price: $10 for shipping or something... I doubt that there will be any iBook announcements since it was just recently that the iBooks were updated to G4.Just an FYI: You get iLife with every NEW mac.USE Carbon Copy Cloner!!! It's the best, and is donationware. I'm modifying my Fav List to clarify what i mean by clone for Intego's Personal Backup (that is more of a clone folder option). Carbon Copy Cloner clones your HD. I've used it since I got my Mac... I have a fresh system clone, fresh 10.3, fresh 10.3.3, fresh 10.3.4 and two that are clones with all of my data.If you use CCC you can mount the clones as virtual drives and even get data out of it if you only want a specific item out. If you had gotten a larger iPod, you could even clone your HD to your iPod and boot OS X off your iPod (which I do from time to time)Im sure you will adjust to 1024x768... the OS has a lot of features so that you can maximize your screen real-estate...

What a rip...my educational lic. will allow me a lillte over $100 of savings. :hmm: • 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)• AirPort Extreme Card• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display• 1.2GHz PowerPC G4• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,489.00Thanks for the clarification...I will probably just buy it along with a good beginners book, make a copy of the drive, and screw it up to my hearts delight. :lol:

Ouch... that sucks... You see more of a discount if you customize items a little more. the 14" 1.2GHz iBook is mainly maxed out to begin with, the only real hardware upgrades for THAT built-to-order system is memory and the choice of a superdrive.But:It's sort of an undocumented feature... but if you order your system as an educational user... when you call support it asks blah blah blah, was this an edu purchase, if so press what ever... wait time is very minimal: if you know what I mean ;)This is what I'm looking at if I get a position at a local high school, in their IT department (I'll be in charge of their website and I would prefer to work on a Mac):EDU price: • 768MB DDR266 SDRAM (256MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo drive (DVD/CD-R)• AirPort Extreme Card• Bluetooth Module• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• APP for iBook - Enrollment Kit• 12-inch TFT XGA display • 1GHz PowerPC G4 • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,563.00NON EDU: • 768MB DDR266 SDRAM (256MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo drive (DVD/CD-R)• AirPort Extreme Card• Bluetooth Module• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• APP for iBook - Enrollment Kit• 12-inch TFT XGA display • 1GHz PowerPC G4 • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memorySubtotal $1,772.00Difference of only $209. :-(But with the $209 that I'm saving, I could get something else... Look at the positives...I wouldn't forget to get the Apple Care Warranty, unless you are really brave and want to risk your investment.

Does Apple have a charge-by-ticket system like Microsoft? I don't forsee me needing to call apple continuously but maybe once in a blue moon. I think that would be a better deal then paying $250 for something I might never use don't you think?

Apple Care is not only phone support it is HARD WARE support also... If you are getting a laptop, I would defiantly get it so you have that extended warranty to cover any problems covered by the Apple Care program.

APP for iBook - Enrollment KitGet peace of mind from AppleThe AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Mac to three years of world-class support. The plan includes expert telephone assistance, onsite repairs for desktop computers,* global repair coverage for portable computers, web-based resources, and TechTool Deluxe from Micromat—all for one economical price.Three years of securityEvery Mac comes with 90 days of telephone support and one year of service coverage at an Apple-authorized repair center. By purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Mac, you can extend your coverage to three years.Comprehensive coverageThe AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Card, an AirPort Base Station, and Apple RAM purchased for your Mac. Power Mac and PowerBook customers can also enroll one Apple display for coverage, provided the Mac and display are purchased together.One number to call for helpBecause Apple creates the computer, the operating system, and many built-in applications, the Mac is a truly integrated system—with vastly superior support. Just one phone call can help resolve most issues with your Mac. The AppleCare Protection Plan provides support for Apple hardware, the Mac OS, and Apple applications, including iCal, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, AppleWorks, and QuickTime.Convenient repair optionsThe AppleCare Protection Plan includes up to three years of onsite service for desktop computers.* The plan also provides global repair coverage for portable computers, which can be very important if you travel abroad. Apple-certified technicians perform repairs using genuine Apple parts.Investment protectionPurchase the AppleCare Protection Plan along with your new Mac to take maximum advantage of the coverage the plan provides. No other service and support program can provide peace of mind for such a small investment.Fact SheetTerms and ConditionsThis plan is not available for Florida consumers or where prohibited by law.* Onsite service is not available in all locations.
But to answer your question... I am not sure about pay per ticket support.