Bloat, Gluttony, and Browser Despair On Me...

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Deep, dark depression, excessive RAM usage

If it weren't for hoggish browsers, I'd have no G+ at all

Bloat, gluttony, and browser despair on me.*

*Apologies to Buck Owens, Roy Clark, and the whole Hee-Haw gang.

I guess no feature-rich browser is going to be an efficient resource manager these days. The software creators and maintainers just assume that everyone is running bleeding edge systems with 32 Gigs of RAM and SSD storage devices. Well, we're not all that lucky. My old Frankenputer that I build from parts from the dead computer graveyard back in 2013 seems to be choking up a lot lately on Chromium.

I peruse G+, listen to some Youtube tunes, and maybe have a couple other sites open there and there and VOILA! My Chromium is eating up my 4Gig of RAM and spinning up my hard drive to access swap. What the H3LL? I checked Chromium when first initialized and displaying only my home page local file. It sucks down nearly a G of RAM just to get started. I haven't even loaded any pages or videos at that point. Amazing.

Well, whudya' gonna' do? If you want all the bells and whistles active and running in browsers these days, you're gonna' have to pay the resource piper, I guess. My solution? Double my 4G to 8G (the max my mobo can handle). Ordered from eBay just now... Hynix Lifetime Warranty 8Gig DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz (2x4G sticks). Cost? $14.75 total... shipping was free, of course. Gotta' love those little Chinamen.

Come next week, once I install this new RAM, Chromium will be able to wallow around while snarfing down 8Gig of RAM. I hope it'll be happy then.

9511f847798db5ec08a51a3fa597d4c5.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

RAM installed. Running noticeable less constipated. Haven't touched /swap yet. I have G+, Youtube, Scot's, and an episode of Breaking Bad buffering in Chromium.... memory usage --> 24.9% and climbing. ;)

I have a solution, but you might not like it. Downgrade your internet connection to the same speed I get and you will probably not be able to download stuff fast enough to fill up the ram ;-)

V.T. Eric Layton

Once FAST never back. If I had to revert to 3Mb/s DSL, I would just give up on the Internet completely.

4886103108.png

V.T. Eric Layton

Never got higher than 33.4% RAM usage all night. YAY! Thus proving once again... more is gooder when it comes to some things in life... time, sleep, coffee, RAM, cookies, cats, books, ammo, horse power, health, bandwidth, speed, etc. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I have yet to touch /swap. With all sorts of carp running, thunar, youtube, G+, Calibre, etc., I just touched 37% RAM usage the other day. It hasn't gone beyond that yet. COOL! MORE RAM IS GOODER!

I hate to be a grinch . But sometime in the new year there is going to be a whole passel of ram hungry apps updates burgers hotdogs you name it',it just the way capitalism gets into your back pocket and rapes it .

Ubuntu with unity taught me a very valuable lesson . Why gild the lilly ..

Merry xmas

I hate to be a grinch . But sometime in the new year there is going to be a whole passel of ram hungry apps updates burgers hotdogs you name it',it just the way capitalism gets into your back pocket and rapes it .

Ubuntu with unity taught me a very valuable lesson . Why gild the lilly ..

Merry xmas

Oh whoa is me!!! Free Ubuntu is robbing me!!! :'( :'(

No such thing as a free ubuntu lunch... In the heel of the hunt the users are no more or less than guinea pigs .

So we are back to Slackware and have paid and ordered the Slackware book.

SLACK is BEAUT.. Huuu Raaa!!!

V.T. Eric Layton

Nice of you to buy the Slackware Book. Proceeds from all purchases at the Slackware store help out its developer, Patrick Volkerding. He's never in 20+ years ever charged anyone a penny for all the labor and time he puts into Slackware.

Oh, and the Slack Book is also available for free as an epub from the Slackware Documentation Project (link initiates the download). I designed the cover for that book, by the way. :)

Have fun Slackin'...

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Well Eric, The reasons for ordering the Slack book are twofold. The first is mainly that Slackware is the first and only system that I installed that ran perfectly the first boot.

The second is I want to learn a lot more about the system and how to tweak it to my benefit.

Other side considerations are that the local mirror is run by Heanet. (r us) Just down the road from here. So I'm not waiting in a cue for updates . They absolutely fly in.

When one does the maths ,Volkerding has actually saved me a good bit , balanced against MS and others . It,'s well worth the few bucks.

to have the deadwood copy as it may be studied in the comfort of the couch or anywhere. Books are also a lot easier on the eyes.

I will treasure the book a lot more as I have a tenuous aquaintance with the cover designer. Shame You cant sign it .lol

Rock on Patrick :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, don't worry. I have a dead tree copy of that book, too.

By the way, I didn't have anything to do with the dead tree copy cover; only the epub version at the docs.slackware.com. I don't want to be taking credit for anything that wasn't my doing, you know. :)