Boot Error.

longgone

I got this "error message" yesterday afternoon on my desktop unit, "0xc000000f" which in english says "a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". This is strange since yesterday morning when I used the same unit everything was just fine, and I have done nothing to the unit itself. I did, however manage to get back into that unit this morning by doing some "work around" procedures by going into the BOOT menu via the F12 key for this particular motherboard. Once in there, I selected the "boot from hard disk" option which in turn asked for which one which I in turned selected the proper one and off it went, booted up into the OS and is working fine. The question is, what caused the error in the first place?

cable, possible but,,,, if that is the case then I should not be able to be able to use the desktop unit at all and I can still use it if I do it via a round about way. Not sure what you mean by hard/soft boot, it was a regular turn the machine on and let it boot up type of boot. It appears to go through the POST fine but at the point where that small blue 4 pane window appears (Win 8/8.1) and the dots going in the circle appear is when instead of that it goes to a blue screen with that error msg on it. The mainboard is a Gigabyte board and when that splash screen appears I can press F12 and get the machine to finish the POST that way.

Well, I have the installation disk and I have clicked on the "repair your computer" selection which in turn gives me 3 options, one of which is basically continue and do nothing, next one is a choice between 2 OS's Win 8 on the primary hard drive and Win 7 on a secondary hard drive, neither of which allow me to do anything, and lastly I have the option of troubleshoot which does not do much either. My best guess is that I will have to use the install option on that disk and see if I can fix it from there.

The install option should give you the option s of a complete rewrite or a repair . Tread carefully you will need the installing code either way .

When you get it right make a recovery disk . There is also a chance there is a system restore program in program files/accessories .

I'm sorry but that's about as far as I can take you .(limited knowhow) .

Others on here know more about this than I .

If you can get in .Check that the BIOS is configured correctly.

I got this "error message" yesterday afternoon on my desktop unit, "0xc000000f" which in english says "a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". This is strange since yesterday morning when I used the same unit everything was just fine, and I have done nothing to the unit itself. I did, however manage to get back into that unit this morning by doing some "work around" procedures by going into the BOOT menu via the F12 key for this particular motherboard. Once in there, I selected the "boot from hard disk" option which in turn asked for which one which I in turned selected the proper one and off it went, booted up into the OS and is working fine. The question is, what caused the error in the first place?

If you can boot via F12, then it sounds like the BIOS is pointing to the wrong HDD as the first boot device. Try F2 to enter setup and change the HDD order.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

For future instances, maybe this might help:

Custom recovery image in Windows 8 and 8.1

This free recimg manager makes it easy to make them on an external hard drive and restore them, but you can also use it to move a newer version from the external hard drive to the correct location and use the article for setting the custom recimg as 'setcurrent' after moving it into place.

Edited by LilBambi

Hello,

If possible, attach the hard disk drive to another computer (USB to SATA enclosures are great for that purpose) and copy off any important data.

Then, you can work on repairing it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

If a recimg wasn't created before this incident, that is what I do also Aryeh.

Don't have much choice under those circumstances but to start fresh.