609 Linux Distros

securitybreach

securitybreach

Wow there are now 609+ distros available:

The LWN.net Linux Distribution List

You have found the LWN.net Linux Distributions List. LWN has been tracking Linux distributions since 1999. Early versions of the list consisted of links on the side bars of the weekly Distribution page. By 2001 the list had grown to fill both sidebars of the weekly page, often trailing far below any actual mid-page content. So the list was moved to a flat file and released on October 11, 2001.

The next major release was on February 7, 2002. Additional information was added to each entry, and in the process links were fixed, entries moved to different categories and dead distributions were removed. Minor revisions have been made almost every week since then. A table of contents was added on May 9, 2002. There have been no major releases since then, however new distributions are added when found, dead distributions are removed when found, and link checking remains an ongoing process.

Someday this list will hopefully move to a searchable database, making it easier than ever to find what you are looking for. In the meantime, we hope you will enjoy this celebration of Linux diversity, with over 500 distributions; large and small, specialized and generalized, old and new...

http://lwn.net/Distributions/

• Like 2

#39 Haiku

Is Haiku based on Linux?

Haiku is not a Linux distribution, nor does it use the Linux kernel.

608 Linux Distros?

Edited by arochester

Super find. There is even a os called BIFROST which is the name of my cabin. Interesting to note that the Arch entry with release date is 2013 and all the derivatives including Manjero are dated 2014. :whistling: B)

• Like 1

securitybreach

There are quite a few distros that are probably used by the dev and his dorm mate. :) But seriously that's a lot of distros!

Indeed :thumbsup:

Super find. There is even a os called BIFROST which is the name of my cabin. Interesting to note that the Arch entry with release date is 2013 and all the derivatives including Manjero are dated 2014. :whistling: B)

That is odd but with a rolling release, there is never a new version release per se. There are weekly snapshots that are available but the last actual release was 2013.

That is odd but with a rolling release, there is never a new version release per se. There are weekly snapshots that are available but the last actual release was 2013.

Hmm I recon you are stuck in a temporal time warp as the current release of Arch stands at,

• Current Release: 2014.10.01

• Included Kernel: 3.16.3
  • ISO Size: 572.0 MB

• an I am sure that when I did my failed fresh install earlier in the year I was using a release from around July. :harhar:

I understand that but I think in 2013 they switched from releases to monthly snapshots I dunno then..

No clue as to that, you are probably correct about the "releases to monthly snapshots". I was going by the article posting about latest release dates and the posting for Arch as 2013 which is not the latest version. It is not very good with Arch being a rolling release, folks might think it is no longer rolling along. :whistling: