MS Security Essentials - def update history

frapper

I run MSSE on four computers, 3 desktops and a netbook. 2 Win7 and 2 XP. I'm very happy with it. It just does what it's supposed to.

My only concern is that when you look at your Windows Update History in Win7 (not sure about XP) it lists every MSSE definition update going back to last September. Is there any way to remove these? Are they like un-do files? Or do you just accumulate these from day one until you recycle the box? Thanks.

NICK ADSL UK

All updates are kept in the directory C/ windows/software distribution and can be Safety deleted from that folder only if needed

The directory however will be rebuilt

Edited by NICK ADSL UK

Which sub directory?

AuthCabs

DataStore

Download

PostRebootEvent cache

SelfUpdate

WuRedir

and last a log file ReportingEvents.log

The only subfolder showing a relatively large amount of data on my WIN7 Pro 64bit is the "Download" subfolder with 8MB of data in 26 files.

The only subfolder showing a relatively large amount of data on my WIN7 Pro 64bit is the "Download" subfolder with 8MB of data in 26 files.

That is the folder used by Windows to download updates. You can think of it as a temporary bucket/placeholder that contains the relevant updates for your computer. Once the updates are installed, those package files are deleted from the hard drive.

I don't know for certain if the definition updates for MSSE are kept in the folder that NICK ADSL UK mentioned. I've always thought that definition updates are installed to the default program files directory,

(i.e. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials) and removed afterwards from the software distribution folder automatically.

Edited by Tushman

The main problem is that all these def updates show up online (XP) and on the computer (7) with all the other security updates. When I need to search for the date I installed a particular update, there are all these def. updates in there making the searching so much harder and lots of extra pages.

I do keep notes for each month but sometimes I install something later and forget to edit my monthly note.

Those are not "uninstallers" taking up drive space. I suspect it's an XML file of some sort and it's only purpose is to "list" the updates.

As far as having to fish through the list to find "real" Windows Updates, just look in Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates. You won't see the definition updates there as they cannot be uninstalled.

Kevin

Where's Corrine when we need her? Eating a big chocolate egg maybe. :teehee:

Not a chocolate egg but rather "paska" (Ukrainian Easter bread). :)

ps

why do we want to uninstall virus def updates??

No, not to uninstall the def updates but rather the length of the list with MSE updates included when looking at Control Panel > Windows Update > View update history.