8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi all!
I installed Arch following the instructions from https://wiki.archlin...eginners'_Guide all the way to "reboot". I still have to do the post-installations but when I restart Vbox and choose "Boot using existing OS" it says "boot..." at the very top left but nothing happens.
Now if I try it again and instead of clicking on it I press "Tab" I can read at the bottom;

.linux boot/i686/vmlinuz archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201312 initrd=boot/i686/archiso.im

I have the feeling that I didn't set up X properly but shouldn't I be able to press ESC and see what is happening or get a terminal?
registered linux user #374889

#2 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ok I have a terminal but I am missing the command to boot into Arch;
Posted Image

#3 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

It looks like you missed a step, probably installed grub to the wrong location or something else.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Good hint! Should it go on /sda or on /sda1? I created only 2 partitions a / and a /home about 4 GB each. I'll reinstall when I come back from shoveling.

Edited by réjean, 25 December 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#5 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

It should go to sda not sda1.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#6 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Depending on hardware/Bios/Uefi/MBR/GPT you will also need a special additional partition for grub.
Either an ESP (EFI System Partition) ~ 200MB or a BIOS boot partition ~ 1MB to install bootloader on.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#7 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,648 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

Amenditman, you do not need a /boot partition for Grub although some people do use one (I never have).

#8 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

I was not talking about a /boot partition.

I was specifically referring to an ESP

The EFI System Partition (also called ESP or EFISYS) is a FAT32 formatted physical partition (in the main partition table of the disk, not LVM or software raid etc.) from where the UEFI firmware launches the UEFI bootloader and application.

and a BIOS boot partition

GRUB in BIOS-GPT configuration requires a BIOS boot partition to embed its core.img in the absence of post-MBR gap in GPT partitioned systems

and a BIOS post-MBR gap

Usually the post-MBR gap (after the 512 byte MBR region and before the start of the 1st partition) in many MBR (or msdos disklabel) partitioned systems is 31 KiB when DOS compatibility cylinder alignment issues are satisfied in the partition table. However a post-MBR gap of about 1 to 2 MiB is recommended to provide sufficient room for embedding GRUB's core.img

Sorry if that was unclear.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#9 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,648 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Ah ok :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users