custom kernal - I won't give up

mike_n_Kelli

mike_n_Kelli

I did the followingmake menconfigsave as mykernalmakemake -j5 bzImagemake modulesmake modules_installcp mykernel to /boot/configcp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/bootv/vmlinux to /boot/vmlinuz-ccp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/bootv/System.map to /boot/System.map-ccd /bootrm vmlinuzln -s vmlinuz-crm System.mapln -s System.map-c System.mapThis worked (I think) :) I tried making a boot disk and the image was to largeI then configured lilo to a dos floppy /dev/fd0This worked (I think) :) I did not make init.rd B) I did not make mproper :thumbsup: I booted the floppylilo came up as i enteredit saw the reconfigured kernelno apparant issues (except it couldnt relate to scsi (i have sata intel) and the graphics card not recognized but this happened with the genric kernel and it worked fine)It got to a logon prompt but my keyboard didn't work :)

LOL . . I did not see I had posted twice . . . . and exactly the same :DDo you have a PS2 adapter ?? Because you will have to make an initrd.img and include the USB modules . . . .:D Bruno

mike_n_Kelli
LOL . . I did not see I had posted twice . . . . and exactly the same :DDo you have a PS2 adapter ?? Because you will have to make an initrd.img and include the USB modules . . . .:D Bruno

YUPor I can boot slack installation and mount the directories and the keyboard will be active. What do I need to do???

Post me the content of the /etc/sysconfig/installkernel file and I will make you the command . . . I also need the kernel version.Take your time because it is far after midnight and I am logging off now . . so do not expect the reply before tomorrow.:D Bruno

mike_n_Kelli
Post me the content of the  /etc/sysconfig/installkernel file and I will make you the command . . . I also need the kernel version.Take your time because it is far after midnight and I am logging off now . . so do not expect the reply before tomorrow.:D Bruno

ThanksYour expectation as to the timing of your reply not only fits with your schedule but is eerily prophetic as to mine. I plan to respond tomorrow am from Sandpoint, Idaho (US PST), since 2 more hours will likely result in spousal homicide in my houusehold. Unfortulnately, I would be the victim.

MikeThat sounds serious. Please appease the spouse. We would hate to have to sit here and wonder if it took place or if she just cut off your lifeline to the Internet. :D

Hi MikeHere is the command to make an extra initrd.img . . . . please replace <kernelversion> with the output of "uname -r" of your new kernel.

# mkinitrd   --preload=ehci-hcd  --preload=usb-storage  --preload=scsi_mod  --preload=sd_mod  /boot/usbinitrd.img   <kernelversion>

( Command is ONE line ! )After giving the command you will find "usbinitrd.img" in boot . . . include that in your lilo ( initrd=/boot/usbinitrd.img ) in the section of that 2.6.11 kernel and you should be okay.B) BrunoNOTE: That initrd might have more then you really need but that will not hurt either ;)

mike_n_Kelli
Hi MikeHere is the command to make an extra initrd.img . . . . please replace <kernelversion> with the output of "uname -r" of your new kernel.
# mkinitrd   --preload=ehci-hcd  --preload=usb-storage  --preload=scsi_mod  --preload=sd_mod  /boot/usbinitrd.img   <kernelversion>

( Command is ONE line ! )After giving the command you will find "usbinitrd.img" in boot . . . include that in your lilo ( initrd=/boot/usbinitrd.img ) in the section of that 2.6.11 kernel and you should be okay.B) BrunoNOTE: That initrd might have more then you really need but that will not hurt either ;)

Thanks. New somewhat related question.As I indicated before when I set up the custom kernel before lilo I copied /usr/src/linux/vmlinux to /boot/vmlinuz(versio) and created a new syn link to this file called vmlinuz .Some documentation said I should have copied /usr/src/linbux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/bzImage and linked syntheticlly to this file.Which is proper and and why.Also, dmesg showed something linke (intel pentium 4 gcc ... should be intel 586 gcc ...) what the heck is that all about.Y'all are great thanks for the help.

Hi Mike

Some documentation said I should have copied /usr/src/linbux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/bzImage
That is the good oldfashon way . . . . and you would use /boot/bzimage in lilo and not vmlinuz . . . . To confuse you even more: What I normally do is copy /usr/src/linbux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz ;) :PHere is a quote from the Tips for Linux Explorers: ( Link )Copy /boot/vmlinuz to vmlinuz.oldThen copy /usr/src/<dir. new kernel>/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuzThen copy /usr/src/<dir. new kernel>/arch/i386/boot/System.map to /boot/System.mapEdit your /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf to add a configuration line for your new kernel. ( leave the old part in there and point it to vmlinuz.old, in case of troubles you can always boot the old one )If using lilo run /sbin/liloB) Bruno

mike_n_Kelli

The suggestion on initd did not work. No file was named as described in /bootthere was initd.gzI added this to lilousb keyboard and mouse did not work

You mean "mkinitrd" did not make that file ?? . . . Strange ! . . . . Can you type "mkinitrd -h" and see what options it gives you to make such a file . . NOTE: In the original setup of Slack it does not use an intird in lilo . . . . I am not 100% sure you would indeed need one . . . maybe it is just that the kernel you compiled yourself has "errors"or things you failed to build in ??Does it still boot the original kernel ?:D Bruno

Mike . . . I am thinking of another thing . . . . the keyborad driver in xorg.conf . . . . See I know Slackware ( and the Slackware kernel ) used to switch to another driver in the middle of 9.2 when updating to "current" . . . we had to change the xorg.conf because the kernel modules somehow made the change needed.I am trying to google it but can not find the answer I am looking for . . . but bare with me:This is what is in my Slack now:

Section "InputDevice"    Identifier  "Keyboard1"    Driver      "kbd"
It probably is the same in your xorg.conf . . . . now it is very well possible that if you compile your own kernel you need another driver . . I checked Vector Linux ( based on Slack ) but it uses the same kbd driver . . . . . So now I am searching for the name of that other driver so you can try if that works . . . ( or you have to recompile your kernel to use the kbd driver . . ):D BrunoUPDATE: .. . . Will post what I find here:http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/arch...upgrading.phtml ( uses "keyboard" as driver like Mandrake does.http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ar...005/02/3/289651 ( suggests: try changing "kbd" with "Keyboard" )