A few questions before I jump

teacher

.....NOTE: this thread has been split up, Jeber and Teacher have their own threads now ! ( Bruno )..........Just how much usable hard drive do you really need? Do you do better with two hard drives and devote one to Linux if you want to dual-boot? What about a list of software capatability? I don't think I could go all Linus yet so I was wondering if the software that is compatible - does it require two copies - one for each operating system or can it work like a dual windows boot?I might as well start thinking about jumping in the deep end with summer around the corner!My computer is only an 800 Mhz P4 with 5 GB of free hard drive space (about 1/4 of my drive) and it is formatted as FAT32. I do have plenty of ram, but nothing outstanding on this computer. I have read through some of the threads but feel way out of my league around here. Sorry to horn in our your thread Jeber, but you're such an entertaining soul I knew you wouldn't mind.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julia,Welcome to the Linux side of the forum ;)As for your questions, you say you have 5 BG to spare, that´s largely enough, even 2 or 3 would do, but 5 is comfortable !Also 800 Mhz will do fine ! So hardware wise you´ll be O.K. As long as you do not use dial-up, because in that case you probably need an external modem. Your HD is formatted in Fat32, that´s exelent, Linux can handle that. Dual booting or even triple or multibooting all can be set up in Linux.The software, most Linux ditributions come with all kind of programmes for all kind of applications. Office suites, compatible with MS office, photo programmes that use the normal jpg format, audioplayers that can play mp3, sure there are special ¨Linux¨ formats but there is always a way to convert to a windows format.If you would decide to give Linux a try: I´ve got all summer to pull you over the biggest bumps ! See you around !B) BrunoPS: See, Linux language can be quiet understandable ! B)

I´ve got all summer to pull you over the biggest bumps ! See you around !B) BrunoPS: See, Linux language can be quiet understandable ! B)
Don't translate. :( I assume I should set up a partition first. The programs I would have to have work in Linux to switch completely would be my Adobe stuff. Microsoft I get at school, but there is nothing quite like PhotoShop and PageMaker. Since they are non-microsoft, maybe they will come up with Linux compatability.Do I see that Suse is the best way to go? With my DSL I should be able to download and burn a disk. Do I need to make it a boot disk.? If so I need to figure out this ISO stuff. I do have that here somewhere, just don't know what I am doing with it. I now have the thunderbird and Phoenix programs running for my email and browser so I am slowly switching over.

Julia,

I now have the thunderbird and Phoenix programs running for my email and browser so I am slowly switching over.
That´s a good start !
Do I see that Suse is the best way to go? With my DSL I should be able to download and burn a disk. Do I need to make it a boot disk.? If so I need to figure out this ISO stuff. I do have that here somewhere, just don't know what I am doing with it.
There is a good howto in the Linux Starters thread about ISO´s you will manage that one. Mandrake is most ´Starter¨ friendly !
I assume I should set up a partition first. The programs I would have to have work in Linux to switch completely would be my Adobe stuff.
Setting up partitions makes part of the actual install, during install you get prompted how large you want your partitions to be and what file-format you want to give them.As for Adobe, I know there is Adobe stuff for Linux ( or is it Photoshop you mean ? ), but for the details on that you´ll have to check the Adobe website ( or ask Fran or Peachy, I only use Adobe for viewing pdf )Hope that answers your questions. B) Bruno

Do I see that Suse is the best way to go? With my DSL I should be able to download and burn a disk. Do I need to make it a boot disk.? If so I need to figure out this ISO stuff. I do have that here somewhere, just don't know what I am doing with it.
Just to add a bit here, sorry Bruno for interuption, and sorry Jaber for ruining your thread.Julia, Suse is not coming in ISO images like the rest of the distros.I think this is the way they try to make it harder for people to downlad so they can push you for "easy" way to buy their distro.I don't see anything wrong with that, and especially since they gave you possibility to install it remotely from their FTP server, or to download entire distro in a folder, which is at least 3-4 Gb in size and geekly make it available thorough NFS on your local network, but NO ISO, no easy way.Sorry if I am adding to confusion, I like Suse so far, but not more then Mandrake, and Mandrake you can get actual ISO images for free (available to download and burn as you like).Another reason you might try Mandrake first is Bruno :DHe is probably the most knowledgable guy on this forum about Linux, and guess what is his favorite Linux distribution, .. yes it's Mandrake :)Reason being, you will be able to get all kinds of help and good advice to get you going.So, two reasons for Mandrake, free ISO to download and Bruno (not himself but his advice B) )

So, two reasons for Mandrake, free ISO to download and Bruno (not himself but his advice :D  )
Zox:Please do tell her that I am not twisting your arm to say all this !! :D :D B) Zox , Zox hear me ?!! :D Bruno

So, two reasons for Mandrake, free ISO to download and Bruno (not himself but his advice :D  )
Zox:Please do tell her that I am not twisting your arm to say all this !! :D :D B) Zox , Zox hear me ?!! :D Bruno
I heard that. Okay point me in the right direction. Is there a site to go to in particular? I am defragging my computer. It has been going on for over an hour. I put my screensaver to 1100 minutes before it kicks in so nothing is interferring but I am currently at 9% compacting files. This XP pro sure takes a long time and it is only a little 20GB hard drive. Good news is I have about 8 GB to play with.Bruno - Since I am defragging I am on my husband's computer so we might have to be careful. Ssssh. Don't talk too loud.

Julia,Did not realise you would jump this quick !Have you got a boot disk for that XP ? ( just to be on the safe side )If not go here: http://www.microsoom/downloads/details.asp...B7-4FED408EA73FHave you backed up the VERY important stuff ? ( again nothing will happen to it, but just to be safe ! )What distro are you going to install ? B) Bruno

I assume the disk that came with my XP pro weill work fine. I am at 51% defragged right now. If I can pick up reasonable distro disks at Wal Mart I am in luck. Otherwise, it is strickly download. I was thinking maybe the Mandrake since I can download it. It sounds like I would not have problems with it since I never changed file structures. I don't worry too much about backups. I have every program disk I need and I have CDs of all my photos, etc. I burn a copy of my files every so often. Nothing I would truly need. I could see about doing a complete backup to CD. Gosh, and my family (brothers) even owns an online backup business. Good thing they don't read this forum.

I could see about doing a complete backup to CD. Gosh, and my family (brothers) even owns an online backup business.
A complete Ghost image of your disk is not needed. But the bootdisk could be essential.I like Mandrake + you can read the NTFS partition from Mandrake, the only distro that supports that. B) Bruno

He is not twisting my arm, and to prove that :

I like Mandrake + you can read the NTFS partition from Mandrake, the only distro that supports that.
Suse does the same thing, even can resize NTFS partiotions on fly, etc..By default mounts your Windows partitions for easy access, both FAT and NTFS B)

Julia:For the download of Mandrake 9.1:http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3Just choose: ¨I'm already a member of the Club or plan on registering soon, please send me to the download page¨ and press ¨now¨Pick a mirror and you will see the ISO´s + a readme + a file for the checksum.There are 3 ISO´s to download of 650MB, the two other files are just textfiles, you do need them too.On page 6 ( post May 7 ) in the ¨Tips for Linux Starters¨ thread you can read how to do a ¨checksum¨ on the integrity of your downloads. ( follow the windows link )Also you can see how to burn the ISO´s to CD. ( that is the simple part )Happy downloads !B) Bruno

And you crashed for the day at 499 posts. However, the day is long over for you. I am downloading the files now. I have made a backup of my registry, my downloads and my documents. Guess I had better go download my quicken. Ooops. It looks like it will take all night to download the three disks. We will see what I have when I get home from church tomorrow.

Guest genaldar

The mandrake installation is pretty easy so I'm sure you'll be able to handle it. I would like to add that the chances of there being adobe ports any time soon isn't good. Adobe products are rather pricey to develop and there isn't enough of a linux user base to garner that kind of capital expenditure. Plus since they already make an x86 version (windows) I doubt they would make a version for the same hardware, which means they'd have to be abandoning windows before they make linux versions imo. Which won't happen since more windows copies are sold then mac copies.Also for compatability try wine, they have a free version that runs most simple windows programs. Especially if you can point it at an existing windows 9x folder on the same system (or copy the files).

Oi... it's so hard to catch up on everything when you're gone for a whole day (graduation), so I'm trying to get caught up on everything before I leave again tomorrow (another graduation).... Julia, I just wanted to wish you well with the Mandrake installation. I'm running Mandy on my machine and am thoroughly enjoying it! I did setup Firebird and T-bird on it (easy as pie), and didn't miss a beat! Be glad we've got Bruno around here... he's been a huge help and always seems to be here when called upon... (speaking of which, I think I just heard a penguin waddle by :D ).

Thanks. At the rate it is downloading it might be next weekend before I get very far. One site locked up at 29% of disk one (about 1 a.m.) and the next on is only at 21%. Right now it looks like it will be all day before I have anything I can work with.Yes, Bruno is definitely a major player and a very good "teacher" in the Linux forum. It is also fun when he waddles by the water cooler. :D

Julia,Pick another mirror if the one you are using is giving you troubles, it does not have to be in the States, France is always very bussy too, but mostly Denmark or Hungary, or Holland ( the ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/linux/mandrake/iso/ ) are the more speedy ones ! Mandrake is very popular ! ( it should not take more than a few hours, the risk of corrupt files is bigger at a slow rate ! ) :D Bruno

Thanks.  At the rate it is downloading it might be next weekend before I get very far.  One site locked up at 29% of disk one (about 1 a.m.) and the next on is only at 21%.  Right now it looks like it will be all day before I have anything I can work with.Yes, Bruno is definitely a major player and a very good "teacher" in the Linux forum.  It is also fun when he waddles by the water cooler. :D
Hi,Are u using Getright to dl the ISO files? That way u could split each ISO into multiple segments ....and download it a lil bit faster. :)

Are u using Getright to dl the ISO files? That way u could split each ISO into multiple segments ....and download it a lil bit faster. :D
I have not heard of that one. Where did you find it?

http://getright.com/GetRight is a Download Manager program to help you download files from the Internet. It allows you to easily download files and recover (resume downloading) if errors occur--and has many other advanced features

Thanks Agent 007. That was a quick download. I will have to see what I can do with that. Bruno....Your link for the recovery doesn't work. Can I create my own recovery CD with what that is suppose to be that will reput me back with everything still showing registered? I did a clean backup point on my XP, exported the registry, and saved all my files. I can always reinstall anything else. But I don't know if I even need a recovery CD. I know I have booted from my XP CD before. I am still slugging along on the download. :lol:

Hi Julia,

I know I have booted from my XP CD before.
Well we´re O.K. then. For the main part I´m just trying to play 100% safe, but then how safe can life be ? ;)Still downloading are you ? Is the cable not melting away ? Can you smell anything ? :DI´ll be here when you´ve finished your download ! :lol: Bruno

Almost up to 60%. They are predicting another 5 hours on them. I might go see what I can do with getright. It does not list Phoenix as a browser but has an add-in for mozilla. Guess I can switch over to the explorer and see what is possible. Besides, it looks like great beach weather today. They say the water's cold though.

Julia,Just let it download for those 5 hours, go to the beach, get yourself some fresh air, you´ll need it for the next phase !Don´t worry, I´ve got all the time of the world !Have a nice time ! :lol: Bruno

Got it.... swimsuit here I come. It looks like the lights on my dsl box are just going crazy... Guess they want time to work....

Disks 2 and 3 are done. Disk 1 has 94% done. Now, do I need to go to an ISO program to burn the disks to CD or will they work correctly with just copying them?Do I need to do a partition or did I understand correctly that Mandrake will partition the hard drive?Next step?

Oh no Julia !Actualy you first have to do the checksum I wrote about, remember ?But if you want to live dangerously: If you have Nero Burning Rom : File --> burn CD image. That is the only way in Nero !Other burning software ? let me know !:o Bruno

PS:

On page 6 ( post May 7 ) in the ¨Tips for Linux Starters¨ thread you can read how to do a ¨checksum¨ on the integrity of your downloads. ( follow the windows link )Also you can see how to burn the ISO´s to CD. ( that is the simple part )
This was what I was talking about in the post above this one. :o Bruno

Do I need to do a partition or did I understand correctly that Mandrake will partition the hard drive?
Julia You did understand that correct ! Mandrake will ask if it can use the free space, if you simply say yes it will take ALL free space ( hungry ) but you can also tell him take XX GB space and it do as you say.Did I understand you wrong then when you said you had a free partition of 8 GB ?:o Bruno