No Hair Left To Pull!

Squire

I recently replaced my aged Zoom 56K 2949L, with a brand spanking new Zoom 3049C. I have yet been able to make consistant dial up connections with the new modem. My system is Windows XP Pro, Asus A7V333-X/L, AMD|1800+ 1.53 Athalon XP, 512 MB DDR Ram, Western Digital 80GB HD, Thin Connect4 Router, Zone Alarm Pro v3.7.159. I have replaced the phone line from the computer to the connection box outside. The phone company has checked the line twice, no problems. I have tried numerous INIT strings to no avail. My ISP has four (4) numbers that can be called with the same results. Errors range from, Invalid user name or password, cannot negotiate PPP control, connect could not be reestablished, and others that do not help. Other times, the modem lights exhibit connection, but cannot connect to anything on the web. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First, I am assuming it is showing up fine in Device manager. Secondly, make sure XP installed the correct drivers. XP may have installed the old drivers from your old modem. If that is not it, and you had no problems with the old modem, you may have gotten a bad modem. Seen it happen more than once. But I get the sneaky feeling it may be the drivers.

Did you uninstall the old modem drivers? This is critical especially if you have Winmodem. When the old drivers are removed you should reboot. Windows XP should detect the new modem and then you need to give it the drivers that came with the modem.

Guest ComputerBob
Did you uninstall the old modem drivers? This is critical especially if you have Winmodem.
I'm not familiar with Squire's old modem, but the Zoom 3049c is an external modem. I use one, and I switch it back and forth between my Windows PC and my Linux PC. It does a great job for me and I think it's a great modem. :D Still, you're right that it's a good tip to uninstall the old drivers, even if both the old and new modems are external ones. ;)

Guest ThunderRiver

If it is external, it doesn't need Windows driver for it to work. At least, that's how it was a long long time ago.You might want to use the old modem and see if it works. If the old modem works like charm, you might need to replace the new "defective" one.

Guest LilBambi

There are no newer drivers for your particular new Zoom 3049C modem than those that came on the CD according to the following site, however, there is a firmware upgrade listed for it:http://www.zoom.com/ts1/analog/v92conexant.shtmlI don't know if this will help, but thought I would let you know about it. *

Please Note: Before running Flashcom, please disable any TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) programs such as screen savers and anti-virus/system utilities as well as any communications programs. Such programs can interfere with the firmware load process and prossibly corrupt the EPROM which would require the modem to be serviced.

The old modem was completely uninstalled, new one was installed per instructions and updated with the firmware from Zoom. All of your suggestions are certainly valid , but I have already done them. Replacement was made to take advantage of my ISP now having V92 available, but for whatever reason, it appears this modem won't achieve it. I however thank you for taking the time to help.

Guest ComputerBob
....Replacement was made to take advantage of my ISP now having V92 available, but for whatever reason, it appears this modem won't achieve it. I however thank you for taking the time to help....
Have you contacted your ISP? The reason I ask is because my ISP advertised that it had switched to v.92, but after I got the exact same modem as you, it turned out that I was my ISP's ONLY v.92 customer, so I had some of the exact same problems that you had (connection but no browsing) for several months until my ISP finally contacted Zoom tech support and figured out that they had v.92 configured incorrectly on their servers! Once they configured their servers correctly, my modem worked like a charm, and it has done so ever since.

Guest ComputerBob

I just remembered how I determined that the problem was at my ISP -- I downloaded and installed free NetZero software (free ISP supported by annoying ads), then I connected to my local NetZero v.92 dial-up number. Everything (including modem on hold) worked perfectly when I was connected to NetZero. If you can try that, it might tell you a lot about where your problem is. B)

Just finished a lenghty conversation with Zoom's tech support. They advise, after trying several things, that my phone line out will not support speeds above 31,600. I have Verizon , which he says has a poor system. Needless to say I'm dissapointed, but I CAN connect consistantly at the lower connect speed. Thanks again to all who responded, I do appreciate it.

Guest ComputerBob

I'm sorry to hear about your lousy phone lines. :D It took me almost 9 years to finally convince Qwest to replace the squirrel-chewed phone lines in my neighborhood. Since then, I've been able to connect at 46,667 nearly every time. Maybe you should start bugging Verizon to replace yours. :D