Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

Come on there has to be at least two other folk running WM, I joined their G+ group :Muahaha:

Two? I thought there was at least 3 of you nutjobs running around?

abarbarian

Here are some more screen shots. I seem to have a problem with size, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

d2sBibd.jpg

Gz32etk.jpg

Starting to look like my destop again. Now where did I put my tux icons :whistling:

Slow progress is possibly not a bad thing.

XqZYIRH.jpg

Been busy tracking down dock-apps that work for me. I am continually suprised that any of the dock-apps work as some of them were made before time began.

Now if only I could get one of the sound dock-apps to work properly for me. Have had some sucess but the whole sound thing is a tad confusing for me. I still can not get a sound app to stay stable for me. Problem is marrying OSS, ALSA and PULSE to work together.

All I want is a dock-app to raise and lower sound.

Hardly rocket science, eh. :breakfast:

So I had a tad more fun with the old Window Maker. I wanted to see if I could have a Gif running as my wallpaper that would allow me to use the desktop as normal.

Here is my first try,

https://www.dropbox....sicle.mkv?dl=0

seems that folk thought the result was a tad unsettling. I can not see why. The result was not quite perfect so I had a think and came up with a slightly better solution. Here is the result,

https://www.dropbox....ytest.mkv?dl=0

A much better outcome and possibly a better (more relaxing) image. Still not perfected the technique as while the gif background survives me restarting Window Maker from its drop down menu option, it does not survive exiting and restarting. I am positive that I can accomplish this though with some experimentation and fiddling of the Window Maker startup file. Also whilst I have managed to resize the gif I found it is not a perfect fit, this hurdle I think I could overcome. I may spend my time looking at creating my own full size gif, it would be nice to use one of my own pictures and I may be able to create one that uses a few less cpu cycles too. We'll have to see.

Enjoy

:breakfast:

Ooooooooooooo ain't linux fun. :yes:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

I've been tweaking around with KDE again...

Don't look too bad at all. That KDE don't half slurp up the ram though. My Window Maker with all me dock apps and a animated wallpaper and a menu showing and a file manager open runs at 328 MB.

• Like 1

I've been tweaking around with KDE again...

Don't look too bad at all. That KDE don't half slurp up the ram though. My Window Maker with all me dock apps and a animated wallpaper and a menu showing and a file manager open runs at 328 MB.

My KDE setup uses about twice that on startup... and I'm using almost a gig now with just Firefox and ksysguard open. I'm just a sucker for fancy animations though :drooling: .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Fluxbox desktop in openSUSE 42.2. I go back and forth between logging into KDE Plasma 5 and Fluxbox. Lots of KDE apps in the Fluxbox menu, as well as some apps that don't come from any DE, like Geany, Double Commander, the Pale Moon web browser, and so forth. Nitrogen sets the wallpaper when I start the session, and I can also use Nitrogen to select a specific wallpaper, but I also have feh installed, and the fbsetbg -r command from the menu lets me randomly switch backgrounds during a session.

opensuse-fluxbox-1.th.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I added Fluxbox to Debian Stretch. A shot of the default desktop:

stretch-fluxbox-1.png

The empty desktop now, with menus open:

stretch-fluxbox-7.png

stretch-fluxbox-6.png

And, with a few apps running:

stretch-fluxbox-5.png

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

I like boring. Most of my screenies from the past 10 or so years look pretty much the same except for the wallpapers. ;)

It's rainy and wet outside today, so...

64WlR1B.png

• Like 1

My current siduction Plasma 5 desktop. Finally worked out how to get Conky to display properly. Redshift is on at 4500K so it's redder than daytime. Yeah I know it looks a lot like my MX-16 desktop but I just like it like that.

LeyNNs5.png

oNHWGAa.png

• Like 2

sunrat admit , come on, your a secret MX-16 fan boi. :Muahaha:

For sure. MX-17 will almost definitely have an unofficial Plasma5 respin and I will be back there like a shot.

Although siduction works great and the siduction forum is helpful, it's a bit onerous to translate lots of posts from German. The MX forums are all English and much more warm and homely.

• Like 1

I have been testing out dock apps from the AUR on my Arch system. At the top of the screen I have all the dock apps that I have found that work, most with full functionality, some with little quirks, but they all work well enough.

The dock icons on the left of screen are programs with one drawer containing four more programs. Icons at the bottom of the screen are minimised programs.

The windows title bars and decorations and menu backgrounds are from an "Arch Style" I found lurking in a lost corner of the net. There should have been a background to match the style but it is lost in the wilderness so I had to substitute with one I found elsewhere.

My Window Maker archaeological dig is turning up some surprising and unexpected treasures and finds.

uVQG5bD.jpg

y7Kk6dE.jpg

The above are just to show dock apps that work. I have altered the text and backdrop colour on most of the dock apps to lightskyblue to blend in with the "Arch Style".The icons are some dusty old openstep ones I found, dusted them of and re-sized them for use.

When I have finished treasure hunting I will sort out a decent set of TUX icons and make up some themes with original wallpapers. I am still studying my finds for clues as to how they were made as documentation on this is rarer than the finds themselves. My aim is to have this as a project to play with in the winter months.

What is the official Arch blue ? Does anyone know ?

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 3