Incorrect Display Resolution

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

For a few months now, I've been pulling my hair out trying to find out why my ericsshop02-wifi system (Slackware64 14.1) is only allowing 1024x768 on my widescreen Acer monitor that I KNOW can handle 1440x900.

I installed Nvidia. I blacklisted Nouveau. I un-blacklisted Nouveau. I removed Nvidia. I blacklisted Nouveau. I reinstalled Nvidia. I modified xorg.conf. I ran xorgconfig. I checked xrandr. I did this over and over for a while now.

Care to guess what the problem actually was?

I had a BAD VGA CABLE! :angry2:

The moral to this story is what I've always told junior techs that I mentored in years past; ALWAYS CHECK THE SIMPLE STUFF FIRST!

I must be getting old and senile. :(

Well, I have a nice clean 1440x900 now. YAY! :clap:

• Like 4

securitybreach

Yup, always check your cables. That said, I have never heard of that behavior from a bad cable. Also, why in the world are you still using VGA?

Yup, always check your cables. That said, I have never heard of that behavior from a bad cable. Also, why in the world are you still using VGA?

had vga cable go south twice so far this year at work. why not use VGA if monitor is topping below 2k?

securitybreach

had vga cable go south twice so far this year at work. why not use VGA if monitor is topping below 2k?

Well on paper VGA should be able to do a 2048x1536px but when you mix digital video output with VGA analog, you run into issues with things like caps on the resolution and such. VGA is analog and has been around since 1987. Where I work, we only deploy VGA cables if there is no other alternative. We generally try to use anything but VGA if possible because of this.

• Like 1

why in the world are you still using VGA?

VGA doesn't seem to be disappearing any time soon, a lot of lecture rooms around my university still has projectors that are VGA only. I saved the day with my old (ish) laptop one day when a friend of mine couldn't set up his shiny new MacBook Pro for a presentation... one nill for holding on to the old stuff I say. Maybe I'll consider a new machine once Display Port becomes the "norm".

securitybreach

why in the world are you still using VGA?

VGA doesn't seem to be disappearing any time soon, a lot of lecture rooms around my university still has projectors that are VGA only. I saved the day with my old (ish) laptop one day when a friend of mine couldn't set up his shiny new MacBook Pro for a presentation... one nill for holding on to the old stuff I say. Maybe I'll consider a new machine once Display Port becomes the "norm".

Oh believe me, I know. I have to deal with VGA all the time at work

As far as DP, a large majority of laptops come with VGA and DP ports nowadays. For instance, all of HP laptops come with display port connections as well as VGA.

I was only messing with him as VGA is old, analog and there are various limitations with docks and such.

It's one of those things that I will celebrate when it finally goes away.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

It's the shop computer. I'm using it with some hand-me-down Acer widescreen. It's all I need out there. Don't even really need to have Nvidia installed, but did it because the onboard chipset on that old GigaByte board is Nvidia GeForce 6100. I'm using onboard video (VGA) because this is the mobo (previously ericsbane05) that had the PCIe socket go bad on me.

securitybreach

It's the shop computer. I'm using it with some hand-me-down Acer widescreen. It's all I need out there. Don't even really need to have Nvidia installed, but did it because the onboard chipset on that old GigaByte board is Nvidia GeForce 6100. I'm using onboard video (VGA) because this is the mobo (previously ericsbane05) that had the PCIe socket go bad on me.

Gotcha :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Friend up the street called me yesterday. He had a tech from the telco install a new DSL modem. After that his Windows all-in-one froze and after a reboot no mouse available. He tried plugging in a second mouse and then his keyboard didn't work.

I told him to unplug the second mouse and find his wireless keyboard/mouse dongle. Don't have one he said. I yelled at him a bit. Keep looking. Finally found it on the back of the monitor.

Now unplug it and plug it back in. Suddenly mouse and keyboard were working again.

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Like 5

abarbarian

Also, why in the world are you still using VGA?

Probably the same reason I still use a vga monitor, cost. In other words too poor to buy a spanking new one. :breakfast:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I've only bought one spanking new monitor in my life... my 19" HP LCD. I saved pennies and dimes for almost 6 months back in '07 to buy that thing. It's still working like a champ (on my office system). There's an HP 24" on sale at Walmart right now for $125 and change. I wish I could afford it. Meh... they'll only get cheaper. It's the nature of the electronics retail beast. The bleeding edge stuff costs numerous body parts, but later on it goes down in price pretty rapidly.

• Like 2