SSD: how to optimize your Solid State Drive for Linux Mint 18.1, Ubunt

mhbell

SSDs are much more durable now than when these optimizing tips became popular. Only ones I bother with now are -

- AHCI (default on newer systems anyway)

- noatime (more because I've almost never wanted to know access times)

- run fstrim occasionally

SSDs are much more durable now than when these optimizing tips became popular. Only ones I bother with now are -

- AHCI (default on newer systems anyway)

- noatime (more because I've almost never wanted to know access times)

- run fstrim occasionally

Yes they are more durable, but I do a lot of testing and installing Linux distro's and Windows, uninstalling, deleting and writing. So I used the above tips in the link to try and make my SSD last a while. I installed 8 Linux Distros in the past week doing a lot of testing with a lot of writes to the second SSD. That will be the one that wears out first, but it will probably outlast me. LoL

Mel

That will be the one that wears out first, but it will probably outlast me. LoL

Mel

Haha, yeah. Same here.

I became less concerned after reading this (which is now two years old) - http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

All of the drives surpassed their official endurance specifications by writing hundreds of terabytes without issue. Delivering on the manufacturer-guaranteed write tolerance wouldn't normally be cause for celebration, but the scale makes this achievement important. Most PC users, myself included, write no more than a few terabytes per year. Even 100TB is far more endurance than the typical consumer needs.

Assuming it isn't a dud, one should expect a decade or more out of an SSD under normal use. I am at an age where I hesitate to buy green bananas, so that is OK by me.

Given the performance upgrade over a rotating drive it's worth it. You are well advised to have a backup whether you have an SSD or an HDD.

I don't think the chances of an SSD bricking itself at any point in time are any higher than a platter crash on an HDD and both are low. Speccy shows my 5 year old HDD and month old SSD to be in good shape.