Show Us Your Real Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

Quite a few changes...

I got a new desk because I was tired of particleboard desks falling apart after a year or so I went all out and bought a 72" steel, modular training/work table. The thing is a beast but I will not have to worry about it falling apart either.

I also added a new (to me) beast of a server (dual xeons with 96gb of ram) which I have running headless with a few Qemu/KVM VMs running. I still haven't decided what I am going to do with it yet thought. Then there are two other laptops shown..well a laptop and a mobile workstation as that one weight almost 8lbs (i7 with 32gb of ram) and the 5th monitor shown is attached to the mobile workstation. I have another netbook and a few tablets along with another desktop not shown on this shot.

AXdjF8E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AXdjF8E.jpg

• Like 6

securitybreach

I wouldn't take it apart but its made to put together easily for office environments. It took maybe 3 minutes to assembly it. No tools required and the hinges are molded into the steel so it just locks in place.

• 1 month later...
V.T. Eric Layton

It's tough to keep the cat hair off the equipment. I fully understand the draped clothes over everything. ;)

It's tough to keep the cat hair off the equipment. I fully understand the draped clothes over everything. ;)

Monitor covers were used cos of dust from the wood burner at the old place. An I will get around to making a case for me super pc someday. Bit busy at the moment though pirates5B15D_th.gif

• Like 2

How can we be sure you are not *The Fly* You must have multi pupil-ed eyes to run that array . :worthy:

Ger away wit yus his set up is for newcomers. This is what a real Arch user uses,

Arch Linux Hydra Build

For a long time now I’ve been wanting to build my ideal computer. A powerful Linux machine with surrounding monitors. Recently I had the opportunity to do so. The following is a time lapse video of the entire build as well as the configuration files and list of components and where to buy them. This way, if anyone else wants to construct either the same or something along the same lines, they’ll have some footsteps to follow if they need the help.

He even gives step by step help, so if Josh can follow them he will get to play with the big boys :Laughing: :harhar: :Laughing:

securitybreach

He even gives step by step help, so if Josh can follow them he will get to play with the big boys :Laughing: :harhar: :Laughing:

Eh, he has 3 more monitors than I do but my systems are more impressive than his.. besides he has a bigger SSD than I do but I have way more storage altogether than he does.

• Like 1

Eh, he has 3 more monitors than I do but my systems are more impressive than his.. Well he has a bigger SSD but I have more storage altogether.

I wus jus winding you up mate. :tease:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Eh, he has 3 more monitors than I do but my systems are more impressive than his.. Well he has a bigger SSD but I have more storage altogether.

I wus jus winding you up mate. :tease:

Oh, I knew... B)

• Like 1

securitybreach

I'd hate to be paying your electric bill, Josh. ;)

Honestly its not bad at all. You have to remember all of the newer hardware, especially monitors, are energy efficient.

• Like 1

Ger away wit yus his set up is for newcomers. This is what a real Arch user uses,

Impressive, but there is another kind of Arch user with an entirely different kind of setup :teehee: ...

FCJBI0yR.jpg

mJesbXQW.jpg

• Like 3

securitybreach

Impressive, but there is another kind of Arch user with an entirely different kind of setup :teehee: ...

FCJBI0yR.jpg

mJesbXQW.jpg

Nice :thumbsup:

FCJBI0yR.jpg

mJesbXQW.jpg

A stand up user indeed and they are Guinness drinkers by the look of it. :Hammys_pint:

• Like 2

A stand up user indeed and they are Guinness drinkers by the look of it. :Hammys_pint:

Well, it's always either a lovely day for a Guinness, or a lovely day for a great big Guinness mug of tea :yes:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Inside the cockpit...

EpEwQ1O.jpg

A couple of new machines have come into the house. The laptop is an Entroware Apollo that I've had for about a week now. I'm using that as my new day-to-day work machine.

The desktop on the right hooked up to the big screen is an E-System machine from 2008 or so that a friend of a friend threw out. The hard disk was banjaxed, so I threw in the old 20 Gig one from my old desktop and stuck Antix on it.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

That reminds me of one of those old steamer trunks covered with luggage labels...

Vintage-trunk-covered-in-stickers.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, here's my real...lol...desktop. Laptop is a Lenovo E420...hd split housing Archbang on one partion and Slackware 14.1 on the other and is the primary OS.

Also in the pic is one of my Raspberry Pi's- raspi 3b.....and I'm connected to it with SSH......

bruno_desktop.jpg

I'm still learning how to use ssh and what I can do with it......

• Like 2