BleepingComputer is being sued by Enigma software

daveydoom

IMHO: This is an attack on anyone who would like to speak freely, or express an opinion, on a message board.

Regardless of whether or not "Spyhunter" is (or was) malware, this attempt to silence honest opinion is reason enough for me to avoid Enigma Software products.

• Like 2

securitybreach

IMHO: This is an attack on anyone who would like to speak freely, or express an opinion, on a message board.

Regardless of whether or not "Spyhunter" is (or was) malware, this attempt to silence honest opinion is reason enough for me to avoid Enigma Software products.

Yes, it is!!

Yes, it is!!

Enigma may subscribe to the old adage "any publicity is good publicity". But in this case, I think they are wrong. Anyone who reads this story is likely to be "computer savvy" and will be teed off enough to not only avoid Enigma's products themselves but also warn others to avoid them.
  • Like 3

As I've posted elsewhere, I read the PDF and cannot figure out what in heaven's name the announcement about staff promotions has to do with their idiot lawsuit? "Staff" on forums does not in any way mean employment.

Particularly through the long-standing malware removal training program, members of BC have gotten to know developers of other software programs -- particularly Emsisoft and Malwarebytes. So, of course, having become "friends", members of the security community do tend to recommend the products that our friends are involved with.

Taking it a step further, people coming to the forums for help are very often not in a position to walk in the door of a computer tech shop, likely facing a minimum $75-100 fee just to have the computer analyzed. Besides which, most computer tech shops don't "clean" the computer. They do a wipe and reinstall. So, for these people without a lot of funds, why would we recommend a software program that will only analyze for free but requires a purchased license to remove (Note: I am making no mention of the ability/quality of said licensed software)? The programs recommended in the forums all have free-for-personal-use versions that will both analyze and remove.

As to the bit about affiliates, I cannot begin to guess the hosting costs for a site as large as BC with the high volume of traffic that it receives. Of course funds are needed to keep the site running. Granted, I use ad-blocking software so don't see the ads. That said, how much money does ESG think those ads and affiliate links bring in? One can only hope that it comes close to paying the hosting costs, domain renewal fee and forum software license.

• Like 2

Corrine:

The purpose of a SLAPP suit isn't necessarily to win a case in court.

It's purpose is to intimidate and silence critics, with overwhelming legal expenses.

Even in states with anti SLAPP suit laws, by the time the judge throws the case out, the defendant may have incurred considerable expense.

• Like 1

I contributed. I want to read honest reviews.

If the company, Enigma, doesn't like the reviews posted at lots of sites. IMPROVE THE PROGRAM!

Even MajorGeeks tells people to not install it.

• Like 2

Corrine:

The purpose of a SLAPP suit isn't necessarily to win a case in court.

It's purpose is to intimidate and silence critics, with overwhelming legal expenses.

Even in states with anti SLAPP suit laws, by the time the judge throws the case out, the defendant may have incurred considerable expense.

As I understand it, NY is not a SLAPP state. Beyond that, it seems that Grinler and the rest of the security community are certainly not being intimidated.

securitybreach

Possibly the same reason http://sectools.org/ does, to draw attention to a useful tool.

Well those make sense as they're security 'tools' but the ones bleepingcomputer has are kind of random:

htop, kdirstat, clementine, virtualbox and eagle

Just a thought...

In most other countries, if you sue someone and lose, you can be ordered to pay the other party's costs. This prevents a lot of frivolous cases like this from ever reaching court.

• Like 1

Possibly the same reason http://sectools.org/ does, to draw attention to a useful tool.

Well those make sense as they're security 'tools' but the ones bleepingcomputer has are kind of random:

htop, kdirstat, clementine, virtualbox and eagle

Just a thought...

There are probably several apps that can be used for what each of those listed on BC do, and those are the one they recommend for each job.

Guest LilBambi

Court is always a crapshoot. However, this is a frivolous lawsuit if I ever saw one. Tragic that BleepingComputer is going through this crap. I hope to help if/when I can. I really appreciate BC very much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Forgive me for bumping this old thread. However, I learned something the other night that resulted in getting quietman7's permission to publish this article: Support quietman7 in Enigma vs Bleeping Computer Lawsuit.

If you aren't in a position to help (although every little bit adds up), please share in Twitter, Facebook or other social media sites. Thanks!

• Like 3