Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

Arch Linux Experience

2014-04-10∴ Kaivo Anastetiks

Arch Linux is a great distribution. Every week I learn new things only from using Arch, being in that environment of curious tinkerer. Every week I find something new that impresses me and makes me like it even more. Sure, everything that is do under Arch could be done with other distributions. But Arch makes it much more elegantly.

Super user experience article. Bravo. :clap:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
securitybreach

Good ole Mr.Elendig!! I know him from the irc channel and the forum. He is a very knowledgeable fellow :thumbup:

B)

• 1 month later...

Linux Distributions: Arch versus Slackware(2014)

Many myths about Arch/Slackware and I should say also Gentoo aren’t true. Both, Arch and Slackware, bring only the best to the operating system experience. BSD elegance and Linux kernel. Great customization, great user experience and unique philosophy. Today quality and simplicity don’t go together. But let’s take a look at some of the main aspects of a GNU/linux Distribution.

Very neat article :clap:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is Antergos Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu, Fedora?(2014)

I really like the last paragraph.

For those that will then say "the results are invalid because you didn't tune the system properly" or "you should have done XXX first", my response to which is assuming the distribution defaults given that's what a majority of users will do in the real-world and is the only way for the results to be reproducible and meaningful to any large number of users. For those that insist on tweaked system results, my offer still stands of having such ardent users put together a Wiki page or forum thread that extensively details all the recommended tunables for achieving maximum performance, etc. I'll happily follow such run for a separate article to see the performance impact made and then at least allows the community to evaluate the options and understand all of the tweaks being made so that they too can reproduce them. That really is my offer and belief for any topic, just not about Arch Linux, and from there it's easy to determine who is just blowing hot air.

B)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How to install Arch Linux with XFCE Desktop (2015)

This tutorial will give you the detailed step by step instructions to install the leightweight OS Arch Linux with XFCE Desktop on your computer. I have skipped all the optional content making it as short and simple as possible. I didn't use "cdisk" beacuse it has its own complications so i preferred using "fdisk" instead. Any queries feel free to commment I'll sort it out.

Neat little guide. :breakfast:

• Like 1

And of course it is available on Archlinux as an AUR package. Man, I love Archlinux!!!! B)

Me too. I am so looking forward to having a nice clean and easy to use/keep up to date os again. :hug:

• Like 1

Top 5 Arch Linux Derivatives (2015)

Conclusion

Building Arch Linux is not for everyone. This list is for people who love the idea of Arch, yet do not have the time nor the patience to sink into it, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Different people prefer to do different things. The distributions on this list will help these users find their way into the fold of Arch.

I thought the conclusion quoted was very apropos. :breakfast:

• Like 1

Good article -- thanks!

I've spent a good amount of time with three of those distros -- Chakra, ArchBang, and Bridge. I liked ArchBang the best. Antergos looks interesting, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to trying it. I'll pass on Manjaro because, like Chakra, they use their own repos; one of the main things I liked about ArchBang was that it used the Arch repos, there wasn't much else thrown in.

I've removed my ArchBang and Bridge installations, just a few weeks ago, after keeping them both running since early 2013. I enjoyed using them, and I felt that I benefited from the experience. I like my Arch installation better, but I think it's great that there are Arch derivatives out there.

• Like 1

Well I have never tried any of the alternatives mentioned and only read a little about them elsewhere so it is nice to have some feedback about them. Personally I am not keen on the spin offs that use their own repos as I think it is rather a waste of talent and time. However life is all about choices so if someone wants to base a spin off on Arch and use their own repos then that is fine with me. However I think that they should make more of an effort to stamp their own brand rather than piggy backing of Arch's reputation.

As to " meh" well there is very little difference between ArchBang and the EvoLution live disc that Josh posted about several weeks ago. Except that ArchBang has already chosen a WM/DT whereas with EvoLution you get to choose. :breakfast:

How to install Arch Linux the easy way with Evo/Lution (2014)

For those ambitious souls that still lack some knowledge, there is an installer in the form of an ISO image called Evo/Lution Live ISO to the rescue. Even though it is booted like a distribution of its own, it does nothing but assist with installing a barebone Arch Linux. Evo/Lution is a project that aims to diversify the user base of Arch by providing a simple way of installing Arch as well as a community that provides comprehensive help and documentation to that group of users. In this mix, Evo is the (non-installable) live CD and Lution is the installer itself. The project's founders see a widening gap between Arch developers and users of Arch and its derivative distributions, and want to build a community with equal roles between all participants.

I will be trying out EvoLution soon. Hope it is as good as they say. Only flaw in it that I can see at present is that they do not offer the best WM/DT out there in the installation routine.Seriously guys and galls how could you leave out Window Maker ? :228823:

• Like 1

The guy at Phronix generally does not do Arch testing due to its rolling nature. However I think these two articles are worth a read.

Antergos: An Easy, Quick Way To Try Out Arch Linux (2014)

Arch Linux fans are frequently requesting more benchmarks of their preferred Linux distribution at Phoronix over claims that it's faster than the likes of Ubuntu, more versatile, etc. Every once in a while I do deliver benchmarks of Arch but it's not too frequent given that it's a rolling-release distribution that's very open to end-user tweaking and modification, thus hard to give a defined reference point for other users to compare their results against ours, as opposed to just say "download XYZ ISO, install, and then benchmark!" Thus when benchmarking a distribution like Gentoo or Arch, I prefer using one of the derivatives that at least deploys out of the box quickly, gives some sane default values to use for benchmarking, etc.

Is Antergos Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu, Fedora?(2014)

At the end of the day, the performance of Antergos Linux was within the same ballpark as Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Fedora 20. The only cases where Antergos was faster was where the rolling-release distribution had quickly pulled in a newer version of Mesa / Linux kernel that benefited some particular graphics tests, etc, but there was no magical performance out of Antergos as many Arch Linux fans would like the Linux community to believe.

For those that will then say "the results are invalid because you didn't tune the system properly" or "you should have done XXX first", my response to which is assuming the distribution defaults given that's what a majority of users will do in the real-world and is the only way for the results to be reproducible and meaningful to any large number of users. For those that insist on tweaked system results, my offer still stands of having such ardent users put together a Wiki page or forum thread that extensively details all the recommended tunables for achieving maximum performance, etc. I'll happily follow such run for a separate article to see the performance impact made and then at least allows the community to evaluate the options and understand all of the tweaks being made so that they too can reproduce them. That really is my offer and belief for any topic, just not about Arch Linux, and from there it's easy to determine who is just blowing hot air.

:breakfast:

An one last article about Arch derivatives for now.

Choosing the best Linux (2015)

Since we already picked out Arch Linux to be the best base, but not the best distro (it's too bare bones to install and use easily), let's look at it's derivatives. The list is huge, but since what we want is Arch in an easy to use package (without too much alteration) then that leaves with the "speciality distributions" list as follows:

✓ Antergos - ready for desktop users

x ArchAssault - for hackers and security professionals

x ArchBang - OpenBox is not easy to use

x BBQLinux - Android developer oriented

x BlackArch - for security researchers

✓ Bluestar Linux - ready for desktop users

✓ Bridge Linux - ready for desktop users

x Evo/Lution Linux - only live CD

x TalkingArch - for the visually impaired

x Tux Hat Linux - only live CD

x Manjaro - strays far from Arch, but check it out if you've got complex graphics card needs.

:breakfast:

TalkingArch Tutorial – Basic Installation (2014)

This is a 44 minute talk through for installing TalkingArch. I am suitably impressed knowing how hard it is to install Arch, especially if you are not a experienced linux geek. :Laie_95:

Another article for installing TalkingArch, this time in a virtual machine via a supplied script.This sounds easier than a normal Arch install. :breakfast:

Arch Linux Virtual Machine Creation Script (2015)

Some people have been asking about trying Arch Linux without giving up their current configuration. For You, I have created a script that will help to set up a talking VM. Any virtual machine program should work, but here is the process for using VMWare Player.

Speakup can get a bit chatty while everything is installed. To make it go silent, press numpad insert+numpad enter. This is a toggle, so to make speakup read normally again, simply press the key combination again. For laptop users without a numpad, capslock+enter will do the same thing.

Simply follow the instructions, and in just a few minutes you will have a talking arch virtual Machine to play with.

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

As to " meh" well there is very little difference between ArchBang and the EvoLution live disc that Josh posted about several weeks ago. Except that ArchBang has already chosen a WM/DT whereas with EvoLution you get to choose. :breakfast:

Actually that is not true. Evo|Lution doesn't use custom repositories, enable AUR by default in pacman, have a presetup /etc/sudoers.d/ or have a keybind for pacman -Syyuuf (a very bad command to run) and other autoconfigurations that ArchBang has.

The whole point of Arch is to have complete control, and responsibility for your system: a prebuilt system doesn't do that for you.

Evo|Lution is literally just an installer for Archlinux and invokes the same exact commands as you would manually to install Vanilla Archlinux. Granted it is a bit cheating but you have an actual Archlinux installation and not a derivative.

Evo/Lution sounds like a good way to go. I'll probably try it out, whenever I do another Arch installation. But I might be just as well off following my own Arch installation notes, at this point.

• Like 2

Evo/Lution sounds like a good way to go. I'll probably try it out, whenever I do another Arch installation. But I might be just as well off following my own Arch installation notes, at this point.

I am only going to try EvoLution as a research project not because I am lazy :happyroll:

Ah ha did not realise all that stuff about ArchBang. There is only sketchy information about the distro out there and I could not access the forums to have a more in depth read which I found strange as I was trying from a linux box with FF. :breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

From their wiki:

Q. What is the difference between Arch Linux and ArchBang?

A. Arch Linux is an independently-developed i686/x86-64 community distribution, based on a rolling-release model and targeted at competent GNU/Linux users. Arch provides a minimal environment upon installation, (no GUI), compiled for i686/x86-64 architectures. Arch is lightweight, flexible, simple and aims to be very UNIX-like. Its design philosophy and implementation make it easy to extend and mold into whatever kind of system you're building - from a minimalist console machine to the most grandiose and feature rich desktop environments available.

ArchBang is a derivative (spinoff) of ArchLinux using a minimal Arch system and adding the Openbox Window Manager with ArchBang scripts and configuration files. ArchBang is a separate entity to Arch Linux and is in no way affiliated. All Archbang specific questions should be addressed in the ArchBang Forum.

With Arch Linux, there is still a fair amount of post-installation work to be done to build a functional desktop environment once the base Arch system is installed. With ArchBang, the installation includes the base Arch system and Openbox desktop environment and the ArchBang user skips the post installation work to have a functional desktop. This has been a point of contention between Arch and ArchBang.

http://wiki.archbang...and_ArchBang.3F

Bold and underline are my edits. B)

securitybreach

Yeah I spoted that but it gives no detail just broad generalisations, unlike your Post 52. o:)

I was able to find that out via experience with both, a few searches and this post

• Like 1

Actually that is not true. Evo|Lution doesn't have a presetup /etc/sudoers.d/

Evo|Lution is literally just an installer for Archlinux and invokes the same exact commands as you would manually to install Vanilla Archlinux.

In the light of new evidence and after some great detective work it seems that the above rebuke is not pertinant to my original claim. :devil: :Muahaha: :tease: :Laughing:

• Like 1